Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by UpAndUnder43 View Post
    Amir is going to make ~$100,000+ next year. I don't feel bad for him at all. Good on him to try to make money and test the NBA waters. If it doesn't work, Europe, China and the Middle East offer lucrative contracts that are typically tax free and they cover living, travel, car, food, etc.

Amir will be fine. His worse case scenario is make $78,000 in the G-League. Pays more than $0 at the U...who will still pay for his school if/when he decides to go back.
    The U will still pay for his education despite him not playing? Really?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by die hard gopher View Post
    That is very unlikely.

Most including myself don't consider this a tournament team without Amir. It would probably be much better for our program to make the tournament and perhaps round of 32 which is what I think would happen if Amir came back than to have Amir play a few games in the NBA while we are an NIT team. If we don't make the tourney and we strike out on some top recruits, Pitino could very well end up fired which would probably result in a multi year rebuild with a new coach. So even if Amir were to succeed in the NBA, the new coach wouldn't be able to tout developmental skills because he wasn't the one who coached him. And all of that is if Amir actually does play in the NBA. If he doesn't play a game in the NBA then it does absolutely nothing for us if he is playing overseas or in the G-league.
    Guess we better make it back to the tourny then! And ideally win a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Gopher View Post
    The U will still pay for his education despite him not playing? Really?

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    78K- 100K is nothing in the big picture. That's real short term thinking. He is going to have the rest of his life to make some money. He had a chance to lead a major college team to the tournament, have an unforgettable experience that will last a lifetime, finish his degree and possibly make himself into a first rounder. I think it is a bad decision. That said, I wish him well and hope he makes the NBA some day soon.
    To be clear, the $78k salary is the 2 way NBA contract G league salary. A regular G league contract is much less.

That is very unlikely.

Most including myself don't consider this a tournament team without Amir. It would probably be much better for our program to make the tournament and perhaps round of 32 which is what I think would happen if Amir came back than to have Amir play a few games in the NBA while we are an NIT team. If we don't make the tourney and we strike out on some top recruits, Pitino could very well end up fired which would probably result in a multi year rebuild with a new coach. So even if Amir were to succeed in the NBA, the new coach wouldn't be able to tout developmental skills because he wasn't the one who coached him. And all of that is if Amir actually does play in the NBA. If he doesn't play a game in the NBA then it does absolutely nothing for us if he is playing overseas or in the G-league.
    I'm thinking longer than next year.

That is very unlikely.

Unless Pitino has a year like 2016, he's not getting fired next year. Pitino will be able to sell this to the 2020 and 21 classes. Barring disaster he's got two years to figure it out and instate recruiting will be a big part of his eval this year.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

That is very unlikely.

Congrats, you were able to weave a “Fire Pitino” response into a thread about a player getting a shot to play in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by bemidjigopher View Post
    Unless Pitino has a year like 2016, he's not getting fired next year. Pitino will be able to sell this to the 2020 and 21 classes. Barring disaster he's got two years to figure it out and instate recruiting will be a big part of his eval this year.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Regardless of whether he gets fired or not, it would be much better for the program in the long term to make the tournament and possibly win a game or two next year than it would be for Amir to play a few games in the NBA next year.

Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
    I'm thinking longer than next year.

So am I.

Having Amir help us make the tournament next year and possibly win a game would be much better for our future recruiting than it would be if Amir plays in a few NBA games next year. Putting players in the NBA helps recruiting, winning games in the NCAA tournament helps more. Now maybe putting multiple guys in the lottery year after year like Duke and UK might be help recruiting more than winning games in the tournament but having one undrafted free agent play sparingly in the NBA is certainly not more valuable than NCAA tournament appearances and wins. And most of the guys we recruit aren't one and done guys with realistic NBA chances anyways so going to a successful college program is even more important to them.

So am I.

Having Amir help us make the tournament next year and possibly win a game would be much better for our future recruiting than it would be if Amir plays in a few NBA games next year. Putting players in the NBA helps recruiting, winning games in the NCAA tournament helps more. Now maybe putting multiple guys in the lottery year after year like Duke and UK might be help recruiting more than winning games in the tournament but having one undrafted free agent play sparingly in the NBA is certainly not more valuable than NCAA tournament appearances and wins. And most of the guys we recruit aren't one and done guys with realistic NBA chances anyways so going to a successful college program is even more important to them.
    Yeah, a team led by Amir and a couple other local kids make a run in the tournament will always be good for the program.

There will a couple of moments from my childhood that really helped make me a Gopher fan. I remember the run with Bobby Jackson. I remember high-fiving with my dad during the Darkins/Alstott game. Wouldn't it be nice if the next Jalen Suggs had a moment where he remembered Amir Coffey leading the Gophers to the Elite 8?

Winning always helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post
    Yeah, a team led by Amir and a couple other local kids make a run in the tournament will always be good for the program.

There will a couple of moments from my childhood that really helped make me a Gopher fan. I remember the run with Bobby Jackson. I remember high-fiving with my dad during the Darkins/Alstott game. Wouldn't it be nice if the next Jalen Suggs had a moment where he remembered Amir Coffey leading the Gophers to the Elite 8?

Winning always helps.
    The run with Bobby Jackson never happened though.

Quote Originally Posted by skauma View Post
    Yes, it did.

And it's not like the University has a choice on whether or not Amir gets to finish his degree for free. That's an NCAA mandate.

Quote Originally Posted by skauma View Post
    But it all felt so real. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post
    But it all felt so real. . .
    It happened, just with cheating.

It's interesting, the Twolves signed a guy (Naz Reid, who was projected to be a lottery pick coming out of high school) to a 2-way contract. And it came out after the draft that a couple teams talked to him about drafting him late int he 2nd round, but he preferred to go undrafted so he could pick his team. Evidently, when you draft someone in the 2nd round you have to offer them a straight contract by NBA rules if the player wants it. The teams that talked to him wanted him to sign a 2-way contract, which he declined. Thought that was interesting. Some players see the 2-way contract as a better option than being drafted.
    "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala