Marcus reporting Amir got a two way contract with the Clippers

Amir is going to make ~$100,000+ next year. I don't feel bad for him at all. Good on him to try to make money and test the NBA waters. If it doesn't work, Europe, China and the Middle East offer lucrative contracts that are typically tax free and they cover living, travel, car, food, etc.

Amir will be fine. His worse case scenario is make $78,000 in the G-League. Pays more than $0 at the U...who will still pay for his school if/when he decides to go back.

The U will still pay for his education despite him not playing? Really?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is very unlikely.

Most including myself don't consider this a tournament team without Amir. It would probably be much better for our program to make the tournament and perhaps round of 32 which is what I think would happen if Amir came back than to have Amir play a few games in the NBA while we are an NIT team. If we don't make the tourney and we strike out on some top recruits, Pitino could very well end up fired which would probably result in a multi year rebuild with a new coach. So even if Amir were to succeed in the NBA, the new coach wouldn't be able to tout developmental skills because he wasn't the one who coached him. And all of that is if Amir actually does play in the NBA. If he doesn't play a game in the NBA then it does absolutely nothing for us if he is playing overseas or in the G-league.

Guess we better make it back to the tourny then! And ideally win a game.

78K- 100K is nothing in the big picture. That's real short term thinking. He is going to have the rest of his life to make some money. He had a chance to lead a major college team to the tournament, have an unforgettable experience that will last a lifetime, finish his degree and possibly make himself into a first rounder. I think it is a bad decision. That said, I wish him well and hope he makes the NBA some day soon.

To be clear, the $78k salary is the 2 way NBA contract G league salary. A regular G league contract is much less.

That is very unlikely.

Most including myself don't consider this a tournament team without Amir. It would probably be much better for our program to make the tournament and perhaps round of 32 which is what I think would happen if Amir came back than to have Amir play a few games in the NBA while we are an NIT team. If we don't make the tourney and we strike out on some top recruits, Pitino could very well end up fired which would probably result in a multi year rebuild with a new coach. So even if Amir were to succeed in the NBA, the new coach wouldn't be able to tout developmental skills because he wasn't the one who coached him. And all of that is if Amir actually does play in the NBA. If he doesn't play a game in the NBA then it does absolutely nothing for us if he is playing overseas or in the G-league.
I'm thinking longer than next year.

That is very unlikely.

Unless Pitino has a year like 2016, he's not getting fired next year. Pitino will be able to sell this to the 2020 and 21 classes. Barring disaster he's got two years to figure it out and instate recruiting will be a big part of his eval this year.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

That is very unlikely.

Congrats, you were able to weave a “Fire Pitino” response into a thread about a player getting a shot to play in the NBA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless Pitino has a year like 2016, he's not getting fired next year. Pitino will be able to sell this to the 2020 and 21 classes. Barring disaster he's got two years to figure it out and instate recruiting will be a big part of his eval this year.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Regardless of whether he gets fired or not, it would be much better for the program in the long term to make the tournament and possibly win a game or two next year than it would be for Amir to play a few games in the NBA next year.

I'm thinking longer than next year.

So am I.

Having Amir help us make the tournament next year and possibly win a game would be much better for our future recruiting than it would be if Amir plays in a few NBA games next year. Putting players in the NBA helps recruiting, winning games in the NCAA tournament helps more. Now maybe putting multiple guys in the lottery year after year like Duke and UK might be help recruiting more than winning games in the tournament but having one undrafted free agent play sparingly in the NBA is certainly not more valuable than NCAA tournament appearances and wins. And most of the guys we recruit aren't one and done guys with realistic NBA chances anyways so going to a successful college program is even more important to them.

So am I.

Having Amir help us make the tournament next year and possibly win a game would be much better for our future recruiting than it would be if Amir plays in a few NBA games next year. Putting players in the NBA helps recruiting, winning games in the NCAA tournament helps more. Now maybe putting multiple guys in the lottery year after year like Duke and UK might be help recruiting more than winning games in the tournament but having one undrafted free agent play sparingly in the NBA is certainly not more valuable than NCAA tournament appearances and wins. And most of the guys we recruit aren't one and done guys with realistic NBA chances anyways so going to a successful college program is even more important to them.

Yeah, a team led by Amir and a couple other local kids make a run in the tournament will always be good for the program.

There will a couple of moments from my childhood that really helped make me a Gopher fan. I remember the run with Bobby Jackson. I remember high-fiving with my dad during the Darkins/Alstott game. Wouldn't it be nice if the next Jalen Suggs had a moment where he remembered Amir Coffey leading the Gophers to the Elite 8?

Winning always helps.

Yeah, a team led by Amir and a couple other local kids make a run in the tournament will always be good for the program.

There will a couple of moments from my childhood that really helped make me a Gopher fan. I remember the run with Bobby Jackson. I remember high-fiving with my dad during the Darkins/Alstott game. Wouldn't it be nice if the next Jalen Suggs had a moment where he remembered Amir Coffey leading the Gophers to the Elite 8?

Winning always helps.

The run with Bobby Jackson never happened though.

The run with Bobby Jackson never happened though.

Yes, it did.

And it's not like the University has a choice on whether or not Amir gets to finish his degree for free. That's an NCAA mandate.

It's interesting, the Twolves signed a guy (Naz Reid, who was projected to be a lottery pick coming out of high school) to a 2-way contract. And it came out after the draft that a couple teams talked to him about drafting him late int he 2nd round, but he preferred to go undrafted so he could pick his team. Evidently, when you draft someone in the 2nd round you have to offer them a straight contract by NBA rules if the player wants it. The teams that talked to him wanted him to sign a 2-way contract, which he declined. Thought that was interesting. Some players see the 2-way contract as a better option than being drafted.

Yes, it did.

And it's not like the University has a choice on whether or not Amir gets to finish his degree for free. That's an NCAA mandate.

It's also in their best interest as it relates to APR.

per Shama:

Ex-Gophers Amir Coffey and Jordan Murphy will have tryouts respectively with the NBA’s Clippers and Timberwolves. They could eventually play in the NBA’s development league. During the 2018-19 season, players with G League contracts earned base salaries of $7,000, or $35,000 for five months.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

78K- 100K is nothing in the big picture. That's real short term thinking. He is going to have the rest of his life to make some money. He had a chance to lead a major college team to the tournament, have an unforgettable experience that will last a lifetime, finish his degree and possibly make himself into a first rounder. I think it is a bad decision. That said, I wish him well and hope he makes the NBA some day soon.

+1.

It's a win-win for the Gophers and Amir. I look to see a team shine on the court this upcoming season. We, the Gophers, will ultimately be the better for Amir leaving early.
Best wishes to a former Gopher in Amir Coffey. Time to move on.

I wish Coffey no ill-will, but that is not true. We will be worse off next season by a not insignificant amount and that will not be offset by him having a marginal NBA career. If he somehow turns into an All-Star then yes. But that is pretty unlikely.

Regardless of whether he gets fired or not, it would be much better for the program in the long term to make the tournament and possibly win a game or two next year than it would be for Amir to play a few games in the NBA next year.

This. I simply don't buy that anyone's going to commit here because we have one guy get a cup of coffee (NPI) in the NBA. But because we finished top 4 in the conference and made the NCAA's 2 years in a row and 3 of 4? Far more likely.

I wish Coffey no ill-will, but that is not true. We will be worse off next season by a not insignificant amount and that will not be offset by him having a marginal NBA career. If he somehow turns into an All-Star then yes. But that is pretty unlikely.
Think bigger and longer than next year. Amir, being gone, opens up minutes and opportunities for the players here to grow and mature. Next season may be a small step back, but the ROI is going to be fantastic in 2020-2021.

Think bigger and longer than next year. Amir, being gone, opens up minutes and opportunities for the players here to grow and mature. Next season may be a small step back, but the ROI is going to be fantastic in 2020-2021.

If that were true then no program would ever play seniors no matter how good they are.

Losing Coffey means we will be much worse then we otherwise would be, may miss the tournament and as a result, it will hurt our recruiting for the 2021-22 classes.

This is some twisted logic. We shouldn't play Oturu much next year. He might go to the draft. More minutes for Freeman! Think of the ROI!

Taking a season in which an NCAA bid and top half of the B1G finish was within reach and turning it into an NIT at best/coach might be on the hot-seat season is a big negative, both short and long-term. There's no other way to spin it.

If that were true then no program would ever play seniors no matter how good they are.

Losing Coffey means we will be much worse then we otherwise would be, may miss the tournament and as a result, it will hurt our recruiting for the 2021-22 classes.
This is some twisted logic. We shouldn't play Oturu much next year. He might go to the draft. More minutes for Freeman! Think of the ROI!

Taking a season in which an NCAA bid and top half of the B1G finish was within reach and turning it into an NIT at best/coach might be on the hot-seat season is a big negative, both short and long-term. There's no other way to spin it.
Both of you are creating strawmen that I didn't promote.
The fact is Amir isn't here. This means that underclassmen will get valuable minutes and we will be better in the long run because of it.

The fact is Amir isn't here. This means that underclassmen will get valuable minutes and we will be better in the long run because of it.
Those dividends over the next few years are worth far less than the value Amir would bring to the team next year.

It is possible but you can not guarantee that the players taking his minutes will be great or that recruiting will be fantastic. There is hope.

It is possible but you can not guarantee that the players taking his minutes will be great or that recruiting will be fantastic. There is hope.
We're gonna be very good in 2020-21.

Those dividends over the next few years are worth far less than the value Amir would bring to the team next year.

Yep. Yes, it's possible that the extra minutes will lead to a win or two in 2-3 years. It will cost a lot more than that next year. And the bigger issue is that another poor season will do more to harm future recruiting than those couple future wins would do.

If the on court results from the upcoming season didn't affect recruiting in any way, then you would be right. Unfortunately, that isn't how things work.

Already giving up on next year? Obviously having Coffey back would have been preferable, and yes, maybe the team takes a step back. However, I'm excited to see how all the new pieces fit together. Next year is the deepest and most athletic Gopher basketball team that we've had here in quite some time. I think the team has a chance to surprise...

Top Bottom