Marcus reporting Amir got a two way contract with the Clippers

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations, Amir!!

Can someone define “two way”?

Beginning in the 2017 offseason, NBA rosters expanded from 15 to 17 players with the addition of two spots for players under “Two-Way Contracts.”

NBA teams may have up to two players under NBA Two-Way Contracts who will spend the bulk of the season in the NBA G League and not more than 45 days with their NBA team. Two-Way players are paid a corresponding daily amount based on the number of days they play in each league. Only players in their fourth NBA season or earlier are able to sign Two-Way Contracts, which can be for either one or two seasons

https://gleague.nba.com/nba-g-league-101-two-way-contracts/

Doogie is saying it is a summer league invite and not a two way contract

Can someone define “two way”?

Basically it means a player in the G-league, can earn salary at the NBA minimum during the time he is called up (if he is ever called up). He will make the G-league two way contract salary when in the G- league (currently $78k or so a year). NBA minimum is around $800k or so. Since players can play up to 45 days (days, not games), they can make around $200k on the NBA contract if they play all 45 (about 1/4 of NBA season).

Its a great way for teams to develop a player on the cheap.

It does not pay as well as playing overseas, so a player really needs to feel like they can parlay it into a NBA deal eventually.

Basically it means a player in the G-league, can earn salary at the NBA minimum during the time he is called up (if he is ever called up). He will make the G-league two way contract salary when in the G- league (currently $78k or so a year). NBA minimum is around $800k or so. Since players can play up to 45 days (days, not games), they can make around $200k on the NBA contract if they play all 45 (about 1/4 of NBA season).

It does not pay as well as playing overseas, so a player really needs to feel like they can parlay it into a NBA deal eventually.

Not that it really matters, but there are 82 games in an nba season.

Amir didn't get a 2 way contract, he got an exhibit 10 deal. You can read about here: https://www.slamonline.com/nba/cba-explained-exhibit-10-contracts/

Basically the Clippers agreed to pay Amir between $5-50,000 in the form of a bonus to play for their G-League team in the event he is waived before the start of the NBA season. To collect the bonus, Amir must be on the G-League team for at least 60 days. So if he opts for free agency if/when he is waived by the Clippers he doesn't get the bonus. The Clippers also have the option of converting the deal in to a 2 way deal. Not as good as 2-way, but slightly better than entering the G League from the G League draft or free agent poo.

Amir didn't get a 2 way contract, he got an exhibit 10 deal. You can read about here: https://www.slamonline.com/nba/cba-explained-exhibit-10-contracts/

Basically the Clippers agreed to pay Amir between $5-50,000 in the form of a bonus to play for their G-League team in the event he is waived before the start of the NBA season. To collect the bonus, Amir must be on the G-League team for at least 60 days. So if he opts for free agency if/when he is waived by the Clippers he doesn't get the bonus. The Clippers also have the option of converting the deal in to a 2 way deal. Not as good as 2-way, but slightly better than entering the G League from the G League draft or free agent poo.

Free agency can get dirty.

Feel bad for Amir. Hard to say if staying would have worked out better, but I can’t see it having ended up much worse.

Feel bad for Amir. Hard to say if staying would have worked out better, but I can’t see it having ended up much worse.

I do not feel bad for him. He did not want to play college basketball anymore. He will get paid to play. He made a choice that i support him on 100 %.

Still too early to say. He could get an NBA offer following the Summer League or a nice deal overseas. At this point, I do not think it's played out any differently than expected once he stayed in the draft.

Amir is going to make ~$100,000+ next year. I don't feel bad for him at all. Good on him to try to make money and test the NBA waters. If it doesn't work, Europe, China and the Middle East offer lucrative contracts that are typically tax free and they cover living, travel, car, food, etc.

Amir will be fine. His worse case scenario is make $78,000 in the G-League. Pays more than $0 at the U...who will still pay for his school if/when he decides to go back.

No, I don't think he would have done worse by staying another year but, obviously, he didn't want to do that. Things haven't worked out so well for Tyler Cook either.

Amir apparently does have a summer league invite with the Clippers. If he gets to play and shows well enough, he could get a decent overseas contract and maybe a pre-season invite.

Supposedly, Murphy also got a summer league invite with the Timberwolves. Since I'm more of a Murphy than Coffey fan, I'm interested to see what Murph can do with that. Summer league does give the undrafted players a chance to play since most teams seem to prefer not using their drafted players in all of the games.

Amir is going to make ~$100,000+ next year. I don't feel bad for him at all. Good on him to try to make money and test the NBA waters. If it doesn't work, Europe, China and the Middle East offer lucrative contracts that are typically tax free and they cover living, travel, car, food, etc.

Amir will be fine. His worse case scenario is make $78,000 in the G-League. Pays more than $0 at the U...who will still pay for his school if/when he decides to go back.

78K- 100K is nothing in the big picture. That's real short term thinking. He is going to have the rest of his life to make some money. He had a chance to lead a major college team to the tournament, have an unforgettable experience that will last a lifetime, finish his degree and possibly make himself into a first rounder. I think it is a bad decision. That said, I wish him well and hope he makes the NBA some day soon.

78K- 100K is nothing in the big picture. That's real short term thinking. He is going to have the rest of his life to make some money. He had a chance to lead a major college team to the tournament, have an unforgettable experience that will last a lifetime, finish his degree and possibly make himself into a first rounder. I think it is a bad decision. That said, I wish him well and hope he makes the NBA some day soon.

Coffey is already 22.

NBA drafting a 23 year old in NBA 1st round isn't a sure thing regardless of improvement

(Yes, I'm aware it's happened before)

I would've loved him to return, but the above didn't interest him. I'm going to wish the young man well and am thankful he stayed home

Coffey is already 22.

NBA drafting a 23 year old in NBA 1st round isn't a sure thing regardless of improvement

(Yes, I'm aware it's happened before)

I would've loved him to return, but the above didn't interest him. I'm going to wish the young man well and am thankful he stayed home

Me too. I think someone can make a bad decision and you can still wish him well.

Shelf life overseas is much longer than in the NBA. If there is even a small chance that he can make it in the NBA.....he can forgo the overseas $$$ for a few years to test his abilities and see if he has a pro career in the states. If not....$100k is more than enough for him to survive. Even in LA.

Me too. I think someone can make a bad decision and you can still wish him well.

I think I went a little off tangent.

Big picture it's his decision and what motivates him is different than yours or mine

I'm so tired of people dogging him online because he didn't stick with their favorite team.

Probably shouldn't have replied to your post and just said my thoughts to be honest, as I wasn't trying to call you out

Coach Pitino chimes in:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I’m sure he did all this math.

What would’ve been enough to give that up and stay another year? If the team looked like it had a strong chance at the sweet sixteen? Elite eight? Final four? Doesn’t look like this year’s team, even with him back and not playing PG, would be likely for those.

And I have no idea what his relationship was like with Pitino, if he liked him, tolerated him, or what.

He did the math, weighed it against the likelihood of the team having a great season and/or him getting hurt in his senior year and what that might do to his pro chances .... and he made the best choice for himself.

I wish him luck!

It's a win-win for the Gophers and Amir. I look to see a team shine on the court this upcoming season. We, the Gophers, will ultimately be the better for Amir leaving early.
Best wishes to a former Gopher in Amir Coffey. Time to move on.

It's a win-win for the Gophers and Amir. I look to see a team shine on the court this upcoming season. We, the Gophers, will ultimately be the better for Amir leaving early.
Best wishes to a former Gopher in Amir Coffey. Time to move on.

That is very unlikely.

Most including myself don't consider this a tournament team without Amir. It would probably be much better for our program to make the tournament and perhaps round of 32 which is what I think would happen if Amir came back than to have Amir play a few games in the NBA while we are an NIT team. If we don't make the tourney and we strike out on some top recruits, Pitino could very well end up fired which would probably result in a multi year rebuild with a new coach. So even if Amir were to succeed in the NBA, the new coach wouldn't be able to tout developmental skills because he wasn't the one who coached him. And all of that is if Amir actually does play in the NBA. If he doesn't play a game in the NBA then it does absolutely nothing for us if he is playing overseas or in the G-league.

No reason to feel bad for Amir. He may be getting exactly what he expected and wanted.

Top Bottom