Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 96
  1. #76

    Default

    Impossible to predict until they get to play a bit.

    So this early, I would just say that I still feel like this team should make the tourny. 68 teams, and how many P5 teams get at large each year?? We can be an every year program. Ohio State wasn’t special last year, still made it.


  2. #77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    This is like the delusional Badger fans who are arguing they are better off without Happ. They're not and we're not.
    Get your head out of your ass and actually comprehend what I have said before you post.

  3. #78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
    I never said this upcoming season we would win more games without Coffey. I said that our team will be better off for getting the experience they would not have received had Coffey returned. The kids that are actually here will benefit now that Coffey is gone.
    You said "our team will get better." I don't think you even believe what you're typing.

    Why will it be better for Ihnen and Williams to be thrust into starting roles or playing heavy minutes if they aren't ready? They best thing for them would be to get experience in practice and to play fewer minutes as they adjust to the college game. They also won't have the benefit of learning from Amir on and off the court.

  4. #79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
    Get your head out of your ass and actually comprehend what I have said before you post.
    Your take is ridiculous. Quit saying stupid sh*t if you don't want to be taken to the carpet.

    Losing Coffey isn't better for the Gophers in any way. The point of college basketball is to win games. We will win fewer this year by not having Amir. By winning fewer this year, it has a strong chance to negatively impact recruiting, which will hurt us for the long-term. The Gopher basketball program is in no way "better off" by not having Amir on the team this season.

  5. #80

    Default

    Is it humanly possible to say something like, the absence of Coffey allowed us to get a player who would not have come here otherwise (ie, he wouldn’t get to play as much this year), who could, somehow, end up being an incredibly good player?

    That’s the best chance you have at saying we’re better off this year.

  6. #81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Fair enough. I'd revise it to bubble team at best, with an NIT bid most likely. These days you have to be a bubble team to make the NIT in most cases, so it's not a big distinction. Obviously we have a lot of new players, so the space between the true floor and the ceiling is hard to know for certain. But at the end of the day, we are trying to replace a huge part of our team in Murphy and Coffey and matching last year's results would be about as good as we could hope for. Most likely, we will fall a few games short of that.
    No doubt that losing Murphy and Coffey hurts, but my guess is that Pitino is really going to space the floor now. At a minimum, some things have to go right next year, but it's not out of the question:

    Carr - needs to have a significant impact. From everything I've heard, sounds like a safe bet he'll be ready for it.
    Willis/Williams/Greenlee - need at least one to have a significant impact and one other to provide depth.
    Demir/Curry/Omersa/Freeman - need at least one to have a significant impact and two others to provide depth.
    Ihnen/Hurt - need at least one to have a solid impact.
    Oturu/Gabe - need both to take the next step in year two.
    Last edited by gopherguy15; 06-26-2019 at 03:11 PM.

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    34,539
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
    Get your head out of your ass and actually comprehend what I have said before you post.
    I'm comprehending it fine. It's the same basic argument. "Young guys will have a chance to step up" and "the offense will flow better" etc. Wisconsin is worse off without Happ and we are worse off without Coffey. There's no rational argument otherwise. Yes specific players who get his minutes may benefit. But the net to the program as a whole is still a significant negative.

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    34,539
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Is it humanly possible to say something like, the absence of Coffey allowed us to get a player who would not have come here otherwise (ie, he wouldn’t get to play as much this year), who could, somehow, end up being an incredibly good player?

    That’s the best chance you have at saying we’re better off this year.
    If a great player comes and takes his open scholarship, sure. That's unlikely. It seems likely to go to Rudrud.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    34,539
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gopherguy15 View Post
    No doubt that losing Murphy and Coffey hurts, but my guess is that Pitino is really going to space the floor now. At a minimum, some things have to go right next year, but it's not out of the question:

    Carr - needs to have a significant impact. From everything I've heard, sounds like a safe bet he'll be ready for it.
    Willis/Williams/Greenlee - need at least one to have a significant impact and one other to provide depth.
    Demir/Curry/Omersa/Freeman - need at least one to have a significant impact and two others to provide depth.
    Ihnen/Hurt - need at least one to have a solid impact.
    Oturu/Gabe - need both to take the next step in year two.
    I believe that the improvement of having a real PG and the expected internal improvement of Oturu/Gabe could offset the downgrade at the 4 spot. If Ihnen/Williams can be 80-90 % of what Coffey was, we can come close to last year. But that's a lot to ask from a freshman.

  10. #85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    You said "our team will get better." I don't think you even believe what you're typing.

    Why will it be better for Ihnen and Williams to be thrust into starting roles or playing heavy minutes if they aren't ready? They best thing for them would be to get experience in practice and to play fewer minutes as they adjust to the college game. They also won't have the benefit of learning from Amir on and off the court.
    Our team will get better. Anyone who watches and understands basketball knows this happens as a group of players play more games together.
    Do you think our team will get worse this upcoming year?

  11. #86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Your take is ridiculous. Quit saying stupid sh*t if you don't want to be taken to the carpet.

    Losing Coffey isn't better for the Gophers in any way. The point of college basketball is to win games. We will win fewer this year by not having Amir. By winning fewer this year, it has a strong chance to negatively impact recruiting, which will hurt us for the long-term. The Gopher basketball program is in no way "better off" by not having Amir on the team this season.
    We will ultimately be better. You're just thinking short term.

  12. #87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    If a great player comes and takes his open scholarship, sure. That's unlikely. It seems likely to go to Rudrud.
    No it would be a player already here. I’m saying, someone who came here to play this year, who wouldn’t have if Coffey had still been here and likely to take up that playing time.

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    34,539
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    No it would be a player already here. I’m saying, someone who came here to play this year, who wouldn’t have if Coffey had still been here and likely to take up that playing time.
    Every new signee except Greenlee signed before Coffey decided to stay in the draft, so presumably their decisions were not influenced by his status.

  14. #89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Except that Amir wasn't even drafted. No one outside of the B1G has ever heard the name Amir Coffey. Playing in a few NBA games won't remotely move the needle on anyone that is considering MN as a college destination. Having someone drafted in the lottery or even in the 1st round moves the needle somewhat, but it pales in comparison to winning games.
    I was referencing Oturo being gone hence naming Thompson and Holmgen. Coffey playing in the league is better than what we had previously so it won't hurt our recruiting. Obviously winning games is the best way to move the needle and I didn't say this was more beneficial.

    Amir was a great player and to think we'd be better without him is ridiculous. It's also ok to think our team will be as good as last year. I felt with Amir we were top 5 big ten. Without Amir I still think we are top 7-8 at worst. Big Ten isn't as good in my opinion. Also I loved Murph, Pree, and Amir. Great students, citizens, and basketball players, but they also had limitations (outside shooting specifically)

    Our team next year is full of unknowns, but some guarantees of more depth and better shooting. Beyond that I just have confidence in our staff to develop and improve.
    Last edited by manderson1984; 06-26-2019 at 05:38 PM.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Windom, MN
    Posts
    7,624

    Default

    I think I have a different take on this. I think the Gophers will miss Murphy more than Coffey.

    If you look at what Coffey provided - scoring, defense, ball-handling - the team will likely not have 1 player who provides all of that to the same level. But they don't need 1 player to fill Coffey's spot. They need 2 or 3 or 4 different players to each provide part of the puzzle. some points here, some ball-handling there, some defense over there, and you fill the gap. And - to be fair - Coffey had some up-and-down games during the season. We remember how well he played down the stretch - but we may not remember some of the other games during the season when he wasn't as efficient.

    On the other hand, with Murphy, it was a near-guaranteed double-double every night. Oturu should be able to pick up some of the points and rebounds - but who picks up the rest? And who provides the presence Murphy gave the team, and the ability to hit big shots or get to the free-throw line when the team needed it?

    I guess I just feel better about the prospects for replacing Coffey's production than I do about the prospects of replacing Murphy's production.

    Would I have like to have Coffey back? Yes - no doubt. But, he's gone, and the team (and coaches) need to find a way to replace what he provided. I don't think the team is doomed to failure. This can still be a good season.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •