Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gopherguy15 View Post
    Already giving up on next year? Obviously having Coffey back would have been preferable, and yes, maybe the team takes a step back. However, I'm excited to see how all the new pieces fit together. Next year is the deepest and most athletic Gopher basketball team that we've had here in quite some time. I think the team has a chance to surprise...
    Giving up? No. Adjusting expectations? Yes. With Coffey, I felt a top 6 finish and a single digit NCAA seed were reasonable expectations. Now, just being on the bubble would be a success. Most forecasts have us 11-13 in conference. That's NIT territory if that.

Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
    We're gonna be very good in 2020-21.
    Who knows what 2020-2021 will bring? Oturo could declare for the draft after this season, then what?

The best thing for the program, by far, would have been Coffey returning for this season.

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Giving up? No. Adjusting expectations? Yes. With Coffey, I felt a top 6 finish and a single digit NCAA seed were reasonable expectations. Now, just being on the bubble would be a success. Most forecasts have us 11-13 in conference. That's NIT territory if that.
    You specifically said that next year's team will be NIT at best. That means you believe there's no possible way they can make the NCAA tournament. And people read too much into forecasts. Three seasons ago, most national critics had us forecasted 10th or worse. We wound up with a 5 seed in the NCAA tournament. Same with last season when many had us even missing the NIT.

Every Gopher fan knows that the ceiling for the team would have been much higher if Coffey would've returned. We all realize that next year's team is a bit of a question mark as well. However, I won't say there's no chance for a NCAA tournament berth without seeing all of these new players on the court together.

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Who knows what 2020-2021 will bring? Oturo could declare for the draft after this season, then what?

The best thing for the program, by far, would have been Coffey returning for this season.
    Then that helps us recruit Chet and Treyton Thompson and we reload. I think our team would've been better with Amir next year sure(at the start of the year at least), but I also don't think he was our make or break point. At some point we needed some guys to get NBA contracts. It was becoming a huge hurdle to jump over in recruiting.

He's not here.
    Our team will get better and players will fill in the void. I prefer to see the new opportunities rather than wallow in the what ifs.

He's not here.
    Our team will get better and players will fill in the void. I prefer to see the new opportunities rather than wallow in the what ifs.
    I agree, it's college sports, there's always new faces

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

He's not here. Our team will get better and players will fill in the void. I prefer to see the new opportunities rather than wallow in the what ifs.
    Yep, that's what I like about every season. No matter the expectations, there are always new pieces to the puzzle. Looking forward to seeing what we really have with all the newcomers (Carr, Willis, Demir, Ihnen, Williams, etc.). No seasons are ever the same.

He's not here.
    Strongly disagree that the team will get better because Coffey left, regardless of whether we are talking short term or long term (I don't buy that you actually believe this either), but I agree that there is no need to live in the past. Still plenty to look forward to. Coffey leaving makes next season that much more interesting as there are so many possibilities for who takes his spot and where this team finishes. I'm even more excited to see what we have with Ihnen now that we may depend on him more. If he can have a similar impact as a freshman that Gabe or Oturu did, we could still be in for a good season.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Söze View Post
    Strongly disagree that the team will get better because Coffey left, regardless of whether we are talking short term or long term (I don't buy that you actually believe this either), but I agree that there is no need to live in the past. Still plenty to look forward to. Coffey leaving makes next season that much more interesting as there are so many possibilities for who takes his spot and where this team finishes. I'm even more excited to see what we have with Ihnen now that we may depend on him more. If he can have a similar impact as a freshman that Gabe or Oturu did, we could still be in for a good season.
    We will play a different style without Murphy and Cofey. Just like every other team in college basketball, the U will have to reload. Part of the optimism stems from having a few new upper class man instead of counting on just new freshman to step up. We will be younger and miss a couple of keys players, but we will be more versatile, athletic and defensive minded. We are not starting from scratch, the team still has some very good players coming back from last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Söze View Post
    Odd...you think that more experience and playing time will make the team worse?

Quote Originally Posted by manderson1984 View Post
    Then that helps us recruit Chet and Treyton Thompson and we reload. I think our team would've been better with Amir next year sure(at the start of the year at least), but I also don't think he was our make or break point. At some point we needed some guys to get NBA contracts. It was becoming a huge hurdle to jump over in recruiting.
    Except that Amir wasn't even drafted. No one outside of the B1G has ever heard the name Amir Coffey. Playing in a few NBA games won't remotely move the needle on anyone that is considering MN as a college destination. Having someone drafted in the lottery or even in the 1st round moves the needle somewhat, but it pales in comparison to winning games.

He's not here.
    But the team won't be better. Our best player isn't coming back. You might be okay with it. You might be interested in seeing the young guys play. You can be excited about seeing a different style of basketball. But our team will be worse. Which won't benefit the program either next year or in the long-term.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gopherguy15 View Post
    You specifically said that next year's team will be NIT at best. That means you believe there's no possible way they can make the NCAA tournament. And people read too much into forecasts. Three seasons ago, most national critics had us forecasted 10th or worse. We wound up with a 5 seed in the NCAA tournament. Same with last season when many had us even missing the NIT.

Every Gopher fan knows that the ceiling for the team would have been much higher if Coffey would've returned. We all realize that next year's team is a bit of a question mark as well. However, I won't say there's no chance for a NCAA tournament berth without seeing all of these new players on the court together.
    Fair enough. I'd revise it to bubble team at best, with an NIT bid most likely. These days you have to be a bubble team to make the NIT in most cases, so it's not a big distinction. Obviously we have a lot of new players, so the space between the true floor and the ceiling is hard to know for certain. But at the end of the day, we are trying to replace a huge part of our team in Murphy and Coffey and matching last year's results would be about as good as we could hope for. Most likely, we will fall a few games short of that.
    Last edited by howeda7; 06-26-2019 at 02:20 PM.

But the team won't be better. Our best player isn't coming back. You might be okay with it. You might be interested in seeing the young guys play. You can be excited about seeing a different style of basketball. But our team will be worse. Which won't benefit the program either next year or in the long-term.
    I never said this upcoming season we would win more games without Coffey. I said that our team will be better off for getting the experience they would not have received had Coffey returned. The kids that are actually here will benefit now that Coffey is gone.

Blog Entries

I never said this upcoming season we would win more games without Coffey. I said that our team will be better off for getting the experience they would not have received had Coffey returned. The kids that are actually here will benefit now that Coffey is gone.
    This is like the delusional Badger fans who are arguing they are better off without Happ. They're not and we're not.