Gophers' Play 8, Trust 7

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Here's my Gopher 8, and this is without having seen five of these guys play a minute of college basketball. (If I saw Carr, Willis, or Demir on TV it was in passing fashion)

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Buzz King is right that 5 of 8 have zero Big 10 experience but i look at it like this, Carr has ACC experience. He has played against Duke,UNC,UVA !

Buzz King is right that 5 of 8 have zero Big 10 experience but i look at it like this, Carr has ACC experience. He has played against Duke,UNC,UVA !

Yep, agree. Carr I'm not that worried about. One way or another, he has to be the man at PG/ball-handling. Willis more of a question mark. Gophers need both of 'em to produce.

Hurt absolutely has to be able to step up and give us 10+ solid minutes at the 3 and 4 this year. He has experience playing 3 years of Big 10 Basketball, needs to be able to utilize that when matchups allow.

I am not an expert by any means but that looks like a team that will lose a lot of games.

I am not an expert by any means but that looks like a team that will lose a lot of games.

On paper- yes.

This team will be different. It will shoot better- almost certainly. We graduated two statistically poor three point shooters in Murphy and McBrayer. Coffey's replacement will likely be a better outside shooter as well. That said our ability to get to the rim and finish and our ability to rebound efficiently is a big question. If Curry is healthy and Oturu makes a big jump then we should be fine on rebounding. Carr, I feel good about. We need Ihnen or Williams or both to step up and play at the level that Gabe and Oturu did as frosh. That's college basketball- you need frosh to contribute and be ready to go.

The last component is team play on both ends. Last year we had some really nice players. It didn't always look like a well matched squad with lots of focus on Coffey and Murphy going it alone on offense. Defensively we got better last year. I hope we get better by another notch this year. I can't wait to see them play!

Last year after they had been practicing we started to hear Pitino talk about how good Gabe was and we also were hearing concerns on IW. Both were accurate. So it will be interesting to hear how things go this summer in practice, in Italy and then in the early fall.

Last edited:

I honestly like this roster set up. Better outside shooting, just allow Oturo more success. Allow Jarvis and Hurt to be energy guys that play 5-15 minutes a night depending on need. If Curry is healthy, allow us to have Daniel get rest when needed as he tends to foul more when he gets tired. Carr and Gabe are the only two I think that need to play 35 a night, rest can be in the 20-30 range.

I honestly like this roster set up. Better outside shooting, just allow Oturo more success. Allow Jarvis and Hurt to be energy guys that play 5-15 minutes a night depending on need. If Curry is healthy, allow us to have Daniel get rest when needed as he tends to foul more when he gets tired. Carr and Gabe are the only two I think that need to play 35 a night, rest can be in the 20-30 range.

Thanks for the reminder on Omersa. He's going to be a glue guy! He extends the trusted player list SS offered by one IMO. Defense and rebounding.

Hurt absolutely has to be able to step up and give us 10+ solid minutes at the 3 and 4 this year. He has experience playing 3 years of Big 10 Basketball, needs to be able to utilize that when matchups allow.

Word has it he’s been working hard on developing his fast-twitch muscles. I’m confident that he will deliver.

On paper- yes.

This team will be different. It will shoot better- almost certainly. We graduated two statistically poor three point shooters in Murphy and McBrayer.

Wow, I did not realize how much McBrayer had regressed in this department since his breakout sophomore year.

Freshman FG 32.6% 3P 25.0%
Sophomore FG 44.6% 3P 40.9%
Junior FG 35.7% 3P 34.3%
Senior FG 35.1% 3P 28.0%

Thanks for the reminder on Omersa. He's going to be a glue guy! He extends the trusted player list SS offered by one IMO. Defense and rebounding.

I agree 100%. Yeah we won't get a ton of offensive production out of him, but he can hold his own on D and grab boards. Exactly what you want from what is essentially the 4th big coming off the bench.

I agree 100%. Yeah we won't get a ton of offensive production out of him, but he can hold his own on D and grab boards. Exactly what you want from what is essentially the 4th big coming off the bench.

At some point, Omersa will knock down a couple 15 footers and something will click confidence wise; and he will be a solid offensive option. Hopefully, prior to next season B10 schedule.

We have three guys I expect to be better than average at their respective positions: Carr, Kalscheur, Oturu. If those guys meet or exceed expectations, we’re going to win games. Hell, there were times last season when Kalscheur and Oturu were the best players on the court. Combine those two with Omersa, Hurt, Demir, Carr, Willis, Williams & Ihnen and I think that’s enough bodies/talent to compete for Last Four in

If he can perform for us like Stockman did last season, I think that is about the ceiling that we can reasonably expect.

Here's my Gopher 8, and this is without having seen five of these guys play a minute of college basketball. (If I saw Carr, Willis, or Demir on TV it was in passing fashion)

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Only Ihnen and Williams have never played against Big Ten teams. So only 2 out of the 8 have zero big ten Experience.

And Carr has starting experience playing starters minutes in what many consider to be a better conference than the Big Ten.

If Williams and Ihnen are truly top 110 recruits like their rankings say they are then I don't see Hurt playing over either of them at the 3. And I don't see him playing over Willis or Kalscheur at the 3 either. And if I had to guess, I would think Pitino would opt for Omersa over Hurt at the backup 4 who has the higher ceiling and is younger. I don't think Hurt plays much and if he does, I think that means Williams, Ihnen and Omersa aren't as good as we hoped they'd be.

Only Ihnen and Williams have never played against Big Ten teams. So only 2 out of the 8 have zero big ten Experience.

And Carr has starting experience playing starters minutes in what many consider to be a better conference than the Big Ten.

Point taken.

We have three guys I expect to be better than average at their respective positions: Carr, Kalscheur, Oturu. If those guys meet or exceed expectations, we’re going to win games. Hell, there were times last season when Kalscheur and Oturu were the best players on the court. Combine those two with Omersa, Hurt, Demir, Carr, Willis, Williams & Ihnen and I think that’s enough bodies/talent to compete for Last Four in

I would say Oturu will be an above average starting Big Ten center, a big ten honorable mention type. Outside shot of third team all big ten. Kalscheur is maybe above average by the slightest of margins and Carr is right around average. Then I would say Demir and Willis are below average Big Ten starters.

No Omersa? He will play more than people think. We will need his strength and he can be a grinder.

I would feel much better next year if we had Coffey back that is for sure.

I'm a little more cautious, apparently, than most here on how much we should 'expect' out of Oturu this year. While there's no doubt that he came in and made a very favorable impression, it seems (especially with the Gophers) big men make their most significant jump from Sophomore to Junior seasons. Really would be a boon, for once, if Curry can get and stay healthy and give us anything more from that under the basket.

If curry is at all productive this team will be fine, questionable but possible, sure seams like they will have better depth, if one of the freshman is productive that much better.

Right now, we have 12 guys who realistically can compete for minutes. We also have another scholarship to add a grad transfer. No, we are not going to play 12 or 13 guys but I do believe we have true competition for playing time.
We have the trip to Italy to bond and grow together. If we stay healthy and eligible I'm confident we will be better than last year.

Gotta get Ihnen in the country...that's an important step. Nobody mentioned Greenlee...I don't believe it has been determined he won't carve out some minutes. We also have no idea if Freeman accelerates his development and everybody goes where did this guy come from? We have candidates. We typically have been down 3 or 4 roster spots or more. I think these guys can surprise people. Anxious to see it happen.

With the line moved back 3 pt shooting will be about the same...

We have Kalscheur, Oturu, Carr (may be our standout player) returning. Willis has a year of practice with the team and several newcomers will have a year like our freshmen last year. Omersa is the key to being a sweet sixteen or better season. I am an Omersa fan and believe he will really breakout this year. The guy who lights up the barn and gets the crowd on its feet. He will be the fast break finisher with flare. He will emerge as the team leader. This will be our best team in a long time. Depth we haven't ever seen.

I'm a little more cautious, apparently, than most here on how much we should 'expect' out of Oturu this year. While there's no doubt that he came in and made a very favorable impression, it seems (especially with the Gophers) big men make their most significant jump from Sophomore to Junior seasons. Really would be a boon, for once, if Curry can get and stay healthy and give us anything more from that under the basket.

what data do you have to prove this point?

We have Kalscheur, Oturu, Carr (may be our standout player) returning. Willis has a year of practice with the team and several newcomers will have a year like our freshmen last year. Omersa is the key to being a sweet sixteen or better season. I am an Omersa fan and believe he will really breakout this year. The guy who lights up the barn and gets the crowd on its feet. He will be the fast break finisher with flare. He will emerge as the team leader. This will be our best team in a long time. Depth we haven't ever seen.
With all due respect, without Coffey, we will not be a Sweet 16 team. I think we will have a similar year as last year, might get a good match up in the round of 64. But we're a year away and another good recruiting class from being a second weekend or beyond type of team

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

With all due respect, without Coffey, we will not be a Sweet 16 team. I think we will have a similar year as last year, might get a good match up in the round of 64. But we're a year away and another good recruiting class from being a second weekend or beyond type of team

Probably correct, but I think the gist of the OP was talking about even making it back to the dance at all. Would be happy to make it back again, win first game, and lose second. Then like you say ...

Probably correct, but I think the gist of the OP was talking about even making it back to the dance at all. Would be happy to make it back again, win first game, and lose second. Then like you say ...
I agree with that, I was responding to diehard as this team isn't a Sweet 16 team, though happy to be wrong

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom