Nebraska ready to Row the Boat

Two weeks later, they lost 28-17 to something called Coastal. What did he tell his team after that game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In 2018 we beat Coastal Carolina 41-17

In 2017 GSU was 0-8 until Lunsford took over the last 4 games & won the last 2 of 4 games. If they had not made the HC change then IMO GSU would have gone 0-12.

Still the 2017 season was the worst in GSU's history!

Last edited:

Honestly, getting the whole team up at the butt crack of dawn in summer and going out to a mud puddle in Nebraska and rowing crappy life rafts out 50 yards from shore and then coming back to do pushups in order to serve the coaches' egos and the marketing department is just as likely to cause a mutiny as it is to build team spirit.

So you are saying gimmicky team building exercises are only done to serve the coach’s ego and that they do more harm than good? Or only at Nebraska?

So you are saying gimmicky team building exercises are only done to serve the coach’s ego and that they do more harm than good? Or only at Nebraska?

Of course our staff is king of choreographed, self-promoting, hyped up “team events”. Ours just look way more fun than that. Take away the music and the dramatic filters and the Lombardi-speak from a raspy-voiced strength coach and it’s rowing rafts 50 yards into a mud puddle and doing sand pushups on a really early summer morning. It was probably a lot less fun being there.

Honestly, getting the whole team up at the butt crack of dawn in summer and going out to a mud puddle in Nebraska and rowing crappy life rafts out 50 yards from shore and then coming back to do pushups in order to serve the coaches' egos and the marketing department is just as likely to cause a mutiny as it is to build team spirit.
Based on the rankings so far, it appears the Huskers 2020 recruits have been equally impressed with the prospect of appearing in next year's video. :cool02:

Of course our staff is king of choreographed, self-promoting, hyped up “team events”. Ours just look way more fun than that. Take away the music and the dramatic filters and the Lombardi-speak from a raspy-voiced strength coach and it’s rowing rafts 50 yards into a mud puddle and doing sand pushups on a really early summer morning. It was probably a lot less fun being there.

Well, we went to Lake Nokomis to play tug-o-war. We also did a campout at TCF.

To each their own, but the bashing on Nebraska for doing something hokey (no matter how hokey) and for their motivational speeches (no matter how corny) seems pretty tone-deaf coming from GH.

So only here then? Nebraska should be defended?

So only here then? Nebraska should be defended?

Let’s go with both or neither. That’s the point.

Well, we went to Lake Nokomis to play tug-o-war. We also did a campout at TCF.

To each their own, but the bashing on Nebraska for doing something hokey (no matter how hokey) and for their motivational speeches (no matter how corny) seems pretty tone-deaf coming from GH.

“We?”

You were there too? And you didn’t share the details with Gopherhole?

I think a lot of GHers are missing the boat(no pun intended) with Nebraska. I was in Omaha for the CWS and their fans are just short of fanatics. 5000 at their Friday night lights football camp. Plus 200 parents and athletes. And not just this Friday night but the previous camps were all like this. We couldn’t draw 5000 to watch the Gophers scrimmage the Viqueens. And yes I know that there isn’t a lot to do in Lincoln. Never the less, Frost will be a pain in the butt for the Big Ten.

did not read all the post but watched the tweet

typical brain washing techniques. old tried and used tactics. if he can get his team to buy into that crap he will be fine if not he will be a coach there for 4 years or less and out the door

My first Gopher game as a 10 year old was this Nebraska game, it was a rivalry then and should be now. Since then I have nothing but dislike for the Huskers. I have been to Lincoln for a game, last year. Unfortunately the game got out of hand but I saw the fan support and it reminded me of that game in 1972. Husker followers are fanatics, like Vikings fans here in MN. They deserve every bit of ridicule we can muster right now, even if Spoofin (aka Pat Reusse) does not approve.

October 6, 1972 No. 2 Nebraska*
Memorial Stadium Minneapolis (Rivalry)
L 7–48 56,782

Gophers were 6-2, 7-4 that year.

I think a lot of GHers are missing the boat(no pun intended) with Nebraska. I was in Omaha for the CWS and their fans are just short of fanatics. 5000 at their Friday night lights football camp. Plus 200 parents and athletes. And not just this Friday night but the previous camps were all like this. We couldn’t draw 5000 to watch the Gophers scrimmage the Viqueens. And yes I know that there isn’t a lot to do in Lincoln. Never the less, Frost will be a pain in the butt for the Big Ten.

As to your overall message ... sorry no, I just don’t buy it. Not yet.

Nebraska has always had that type of fan base, since they’ve been in the Big Ten. And that type of national presence and recruiting.

And coaches have still managed to lose there.

Frost might turn it around ... but the fact that Nebraska’s diehards far outnumber any other Big Ten West school’s, doesn’t prove anything about winning.

As to your overall message ... sorry no, I just don’t buy it. Not yet.

Nebraska has always had that type of fan base, since they’ve been in the Big Ten. And that type of national presence and recruiting.

And coaches have still managed to lose there.

Frost might turn it around ... but the fact that Nebraska’s diehards far outnumber any other Big Ten West school’s, doesn’t prove anything about winning.

With all the love the Huskers have received nationally from the sporting press, and with all the enthusiasm Nebraska fans have shown for the return of the beloved prodigal son, if Frost doesn't turn it around... well, it will go down as one of the biggest face-plants in college football history.

You’re potentially correct ... but Frost doesn’t do anything for me. I don’t see why it would be any worse than Callahan or Riley.

It’s funny to look back now, that Neb fans thought they’d probably do better than Pellini.

You’re potentially correct ... but Frost doesn’t do anything for me. I don’t see why it would be any worse than Callahan or Riley.

It’s funny to look back now, that Neb fans thought they’d probably do better than Pellini.

Yes. The way Nebraska fans reacted to Bo Pelini reminds me a little of Viking fans' attitudes toward Dennis Green, back in the day. Or Gopher fans ambivalence toward Glen Mason.

It will be interesting. NEB got rid of an HC in Pelini who consistently won 9-10 games a season and had them ranked pretty much every year. If Frost does the same, will they be satisfied?

It will be interesting. NEB got rid of an HC in Pelini who consistently won 9-10 games a season and had them ranked pretty much every year. If Frost does the same, will they be satisfied?

Nope. Then the John Gruden talk can begin.

Nope. Then the John Gruden talk can begin.

Kansas has Les Miles, maybe Nebraska can get Nick Saban!

Will be very interesting to see who does better over the next few years: Les Miles at Kansas, or the previous NDSU head coach now at K-State.

Top Bottom