No Gophers in 2019 Draft

fmlizard

Reaction score
Good luck Amir!?

I think we all saw this coming. Sacramento, a team supposedly into Amir had the last pick and took a Euro stash. I think Murphy still plays NBA games next year. Guy can just play. Amir I don’t know.

Coffey will probably get a 2-way deal. He worked out for like half the league so there is clearly a strong level of interest in him. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he plays in a few NBA games next year.

Murph could maybe play in the G-League if he wanted, but doubt he gets a 2-way deal. Got the token workouts from his hometown Spurs and college town Wolves, and only a couple other teams brought him in for workouts. Much less likely than Coffey to get some play in the NBA next year. Might be smarter for him to start making more money overseas instead of the $35k he'll get in the G-League. Love Murph, but there's not much of a path to a NBA roster for an undersized post player who can't shoot from the outside.

Coffey will probably get a 2-way deal. He worked out for like half the league so there is clearly a strong level of interest in him. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he plays in a few NBA games next year.

Murph could maybe play in the G-League if he wanted, but doubt he gets a 2-way deal. Got the token workouts from his hometown Spurs and college town Wolves, and only a couple other teams brought him in for workouts. Much less likely than Coffey to get some play in the NBA next year. Might be smarter for him to start making more money overseas instead of the $35k he'll get in the G-League. Love Murph, but there's not much of a path to a NBA roster for an undersized post player who can't shoot from the outside.

I predict Coffey will not play 1 minute of NBA basketball next year.

Murphy is going to play with the T-wolves summer league team

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I still think Coffey has realistic NBA potential, but he's got quite a bit of development to do. He plays some defense, and that helps his cause.

Looks like Tyler Cook and Amir Coffey got bad advice. They're now at best professional versions of preferred walkons

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

All the information pointed towards Amir not getting drafted. All the mocks I saw and read didn't have Amir in the top 100! Was it bad advice or blinders?

All the information pointed towards Amir not getting drafted. All the mocks I saw and read didn't have Amir in the top 100! Was it bad advice or blinders?

I don't think it was necessarily either.

Just kinda' got the vibe Amir had had enough of college basketball. Nothing wrong with that. It's his decision.

Just kinda' got the vibe Amir had had enough of college basketball. Nothing wrong with that. It's his decision.

Yep. With ongoing knee concerns there's a small window of time where he can make some $$$ playing basketball. Whether NBA or overseas- can't blame him at all.

I think this is correct and is true for a lot of the players who declared early. I'd assume that his worst case is making $100k / year in China or something.

SS sounds spot on to me. He was ready for the next phase of his basketball career. Some kids love the whole college experience, the school, the coach the team and others are looking for something else. Amir will play for money somewhere.

I think this is correct and is true for a lot of the players who declared early. I'd assume that his worst case is making $100k / year in China or something.

For a coupe of years and then what? Hopefully he gets a two way contract shot at the NBA, maybe it is taking some time because he has a couple of teams wanting to sign him.

Probably neither. Probably just wanted to go pro and develop his game as a pro rather than as collegiate and take his game further than he could here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS sounds spot on to me. He was ready for the next phase of his basketball career. Some kids love the whole college experience, the school, the coach the team and others are looking for something else. Amir will play for money somewhere.

Most like he will, but he had one more year to be the BMOC and get all the limelight of B1G honors and another run at the tourney. Now if he doesn't land on a NBA team, he will make a little bit of money for a few years most like living alone in a country he may not like. If you think it is tough living the life of a college athlete, then just think about uprooting yourself to a culture that is totally unknown and where you don't even speak the language. It can be very enlightening and enjoyable at times, but it can also be a grind.

For a coupe of years and then what? Hopefully he gets a two way contract shot at the NBA, maybe it is taking some time because he has a couple of teams wanting to sign him.

Finishes his degree and moves on with life. Not really a tragedy.

Finishes his degree and moves on with life. Not really a tragedy.

With a little bit of money in his bank account.....maybe not enough to live lavishly, but most likely better than the rest of his college classmates...

He'll be just fine!

Most like he will, but he had one more year to be the BMOC and get all the limelight of B1G honors and another run at the tourney. Now if he doesn't land on a NBA team, he will make a little bit of money for a few years most like living alone in a country he may not like. If you think it is tough living the life of a college athlete, then just think about uprooting yourself to a culture that is totally unknown and where you don't even speak the language. It can be very enlightening and enjoyable at times, but it can also be a grind.

Your true colors (blind maroon & gold homerism) coming to the surface? You're trying to put up a front that you're OK with Coffey leaving and that you're happy for him, but it's clear you're bitter for the simple reason his leaving decreases the chances of your favorite basketball team being good next season.

Amir will be fine, and we'll survive, too!

Last edited:

Your true colors (blind maroon & gold homerism) coming to the surface? You're trying to put up a front that you're OK with Coffey leaving and that you're happy for him, but it's clear you're bitter for the simple reason his leaving decreases the chances of your favorite basketball team being good next season.

We will be better than expected and people who deferred to Coffey and Murphy will step up front. The future is bright.

Wow, are you off base. I think the Gophers will be fine without Amir and most likely make a run in the tourney. I was just looking at it from Amir’s perspective and countering all of the “glamor” that people put on playing basketball overseas for $100 grand. College basketball is just one of many entertainment options for me, I don’t really base my life around it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like Jordan Murphy officially on Timberwolves summer league roster, one benefit to playing college basketball in the same city with a pro team!

I am guessing Coffey will make more money overseas than in the US, I know the dream is to play in the NBA but I can't help but think he'd be better off going somewhere else.

We will be better than expected and people who deferred to Coffey and Murphy will step up front. The future is bright.

I am in the camp that thinks there are things this roster can do that last years could not or would not. One, they can move the ball better, they can run more sides to move the defense side to side. They can be more of a team. I look for more internal improvement. They were all given end of season evaluations on what to work on individually from a skills standpoint. Now is when players must work endlessly on this. Once the season starts time is limiting and is spent largely on team. I am confidant that they were given very accurate assessments. If they follow the work ethic of Gabe much can be accomplished.

I am in the camp that thinks there are things this roster can do that last years could not or would not. One, they can move the ball better, they can run more sides to move the defense side to side. They can be more of a team. I look for more internal improvement. They were all given end of season evaluations on what to work on individually from a skills standpoint. Now is when players must work endlessly on this. Once the season starts time is limiting and is spent largely on team. I am confidant that they were given very accurate assessments. If they follow the work ethic of Gabe much can be accomplished.

I agree.

I am guessing Coffey will make more money overseas than in the US, I know the dream is to play in the NBA but I can't help but think he'd be better off going somewhere else.

I can’t imagine many people enjoy being told they’d be better off going somewhere else.

I can’t imagine many people enjoy being told they’d be better off going somewhere else.

He will get his chance and he will have tremendous fall back opportunities for very good paydays in really cool places. What if he gets to experience China ? Perhaps Como Italy . At his age those experiences can lead to some of the best things a person can have.

He will get his chance and he will have tremendous fall back opportunities for very good paydays in really cool places. What if he gets to experience China ? Perhaps Como Italy . At his age those experiences can lead to some of the best things a person can have.

Can’t dispute your perspective. Personally, I’d take Como Italy over China any day of the year!

Agree. That stretch from Cernobbio to Bellagio on Lake Como and beyond is extraordinary. Hundreds of college players have had incredible experiences abroad. The Coffey family knows how to use basketball.

Was glad to see this, hopefully he can impress.

Hope Murph plays out of his mind and gets a chance for the show- but I honestly think he never sniffs an NBA regular season game. I hope I’m completely wrong.

Top Bottom