All Things Gabe Madsen Recruitment Thread (Rochester Mayo 2020 Guard; Gophs Offered)

Gabe was on Doogie's Scoops Podcast this week, talking about his path to Rochester, how he and his family spent a year in China, getting the Gopher offer, etc.

Gabe said his high major offers to date are Virginia Tech, Marquette and Minnesota. It sounds like his recruitment is picking up.

He just moved to Minnesota a year or so ago, plays AAU in Wisconsin.

https://podcastone.com/the-scoop

Go Gophers!!

Rochester Post Bulletin: Mayo's Gabe Madsen gets offer from Gophers

The Division I college men’s basketball offers keep rolling in for Gabe Madsen.

Madsen, who will be a senior at Mayo High this fall, received an offer from the University of Minnesota on Saturday. Madsen is a 6-foot-5 shooting guard with unlimited range. Minnesota had not shown any interest in Madsen until he played well at the University of Minnesota team camp on Saturday. Afterwards Gophers coach Richard Pitino talked to Madsen and made him the offer.

Gabe’s twin brother, Mason Madsen, has also received a number of Division I offers. Mason is a 6-3 guard.

“I think a lot is going to happen now over the next month,” said Luke Madsen, the father of Gabe and Mason and the head boys basketball coach at Mayo. “They’ve had a very good summer and there is a lot of interest.”

Gabe Madsen averaged 23.9 points, 10.2 rebounds and 5.0 assists while making 82 3-pointers as a junior at Mayo.

Counting one year of playing varsity basketball as a freshman, he has 1,645 career points. Minnesota might be the biggest offer he’s had so far.

“He’s excited, but he’s not chasing a level,” Luke Madsen said.

Mason Madsen is also coming off a stellar junior season. He averaged 22.3 points, 5.7 rebounds, 4.9 assists and made 100 3-pointers.

Gabe currently has 13 Division I offers and Mason has 12. They have both received a scholarship offer from nine schools: Northeastern, Missouri State, Toledo, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Wisconsin-Green Bay, William and Mary, Bradley, South Dakota and Northern Iowa.

“It’s going to be about the right fit for both of them,” Luke Madsen said. “They want to go where they connect with the coach and the style of play fits for them.”

The next month of summer ball with be crucial for the Madsens, as well as all players looking to land a college spot.

“July is the evaluation period,” Luke Madsen said. “Then they plan to set up official visits in the fall. Early signing is in November and I think they’d like to make their decision before that.”

https://www.postbulletin.com/sports...cle_d08fda18-8feb-11e9-a0cb-df9274b81a5c.html

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

He has picked up some meaningful steam on the recruiting front recently but it is a large exaggeration to say one of the hottest in the country. Of course if one is saying one of the 50 hottest picking up steam then that would be accurate. He will pick up more power 6 offers. Has his dream school even offered ?

He has picked up some meaningful steam on the recruiting front recently but it is a large exaggeration to say one of the hottest in the country. Of course if one is saying one of the 50 hottest picking up steam then that would be accurate. He will pick up more power 6 offers. Has his dream school even offered ?

Don’t we have another Gabe that should be helping recruit him?

If his dream school is Wisconsin I think they only have room for a big man as they have three commits that all either Guards or wings, but then again I don't know if that's his dream school.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

So what is his dream school?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So what is his dream school?

Wisconsin. They are full however with 3 guards already committed in this class and will likely try to finish the class out with a big.

Wisconsin. They are full however with 3 guards already committed in this class and will likely try to finish the class out with a big.

Well, not all kids want to play for their home state. Many want to go away from home and experience new things...

Most pick the best coach and best program that offer. If UW offered he would take it. He will pick up more power 5 schools. Perhaps he will want the Gophers in the end.

Most pick the best coach and best program that offer. If UW offered he would take it. He will pick up more power 5 schools. Perhaps he will want the Gophers in the end.
Thanks for the input Confucius.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

If the Badgers offered, I don’t think he would take it. Doesn’t fit his style of play. The Badgers ignoring him for 2 years doesn’t help either. That bridge appears to be burned. It doesn’t really matter since they won’t offer.

I think that the first power 6 school that offers both he and his brother will get strong consideration. That aspect is still in play as well. I do know that Mason doesn’t want to feel like a “Wally Ellenson”...as he shouldn’t. He’s plenty good all in his own to find his best fit. Twins are a tricky situation, though.

If the Badgers offered, I don’t think he would take it. Doesn’t fit his style of play. The Badgers ignoring him for 2 years doesn’t help either. That bridge appears to be burned. It doesn’t really matter since they won’t offer.

I think that the first power 6 school that offers both he and his brother will get strong consideration. That aspect is still in play as well. I do know that Mason doesn’t want to feel like a “Wally Ellenson”...as he shouldn’t. He’s plenty good all in his own to find his best fit. Twins are a tricky situation, though.

I am telling you right now, if the Badgers offered he would commit on the spot and his brother would walk on there, I am not stating my opinion on the situation I'm telling you exactly how things stand with him. The family is still holding out some hope things change and the Badgers offer, but unless they get decommitments, he won't be getting an offer. As for my opinion, I would lean he ends up being a Gopher with how things stand but I wouldn't call it a done deal yet, if that is the case, I don't think his brother follows as a walk-on and he would likely take one of his scholarship offers elsewhere.

I am telling you right now, if the Badgers offered he would commit on the spot and his brother would walk on there, I am not stating my opinion on the situation I'm telling you exactly how things stand with him. The family is still holding out some hope things change and the Badgers offer, but unless they get decommitments, he won't be getting an offer. As for my opinion, I would lean he ends up being a Gopher with how things stand but I wouldn't call it a done deal yet, if that is the case, I don't think his brother follows as a walk-on and he would likely take one of his scholarship offers elsewhere.

Sounds good to me. Hope you're right. We need more players like him.

I am telling you right now, if the Badgers offered he would commit on the spot and his brother would walk on there, I am not stating my opinion on the situation I'm telling you exactly how things stand with him.

Not looking for an argument here, just want fellow fans to be well informed. Your take on UW is outdated. Things have changed as far as how the badgers are viewed. Like I said before, it really doesn’t matter since there won’t be an offer.

I’m still hopeful the Gophers land Gabe if not both Madsens. But unfortunately, I don’t think that’s how things are going to unfold.

per Marcus:

Eight big names

Ben Carlson 6-9 PF East Ridge: One of the state’s top rebounders, Carlson has most of the Big Ten after him, but Stanford is trying hard to lure him.

Steven Crowl 6-11 C Eastview: Relatively unknown nationally before a breakout spring as a highly-skilled big man for D1 Minnesota’s AAU program.

Dain Dainja 6-9 PF Park Center: His father, Dana Jackson, played for the Gophers, but Dainja decided last month to take his powerful post game to Baylor.

Dawson Garcia 6-11 PF Prior Lake: Garcia’s three-point range and mobility for his height has blue bloods looking at Minnesota again, one class after Duke signed Matthew Hurt.

Gabe Madsen 6-6 SG Rochester Mayo: Flashy scorer exploded for 53 points and 12 threes in a game last season. He recently picked up a Gopher offer.

Mason Madsen 6-3 PG Rochester Mayo: His twin brother, Gabe, has bigger offers, but Mason’s steady play might make some high majors offer them both.

Jalen Suggs 6-4 PG Minnehaha Academy: Two-sport standout and one of the state’s best athletes ever is leaning toward deciding in August to possibly stick with college hoops.

Kerwin Walton 6-5 SG Hopkins: Three-point shooting and defense are his specialties, which earned him offers from the Big Ten, Big East and Pac-12.

http://www.startribune.com/get-to-know-the-minnesotans-of-the-2020-class/512565352/

Go Gophers!!

With only 3 open scholarships next year can they afford to take both Madsen kids? Garcia, Crowl, Carlson Mashburn etc are still out there as well.

With only 3 open scholarships next year can they afford to take both Madsen kids? Garcia, Crowl, Carlson Mashburn etc are still out there as well.

Unless they think Gabe's brother is a legit player, no, they cannot use 2 scholarships to secure Gabe

While there is other crticisim one can lay on Pitino, my biggest gripe has been roster management and too many wasted scholarships. Every team has a miss or two, but roster depth has been challenge

Top Bottom