Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Gophers have the Axe. What streak ends next?

per Off Tackle Empire:

But now itís over, and itís time to move on to breaking some streaks that need to fall. Here are the top 8 streaks that the Gophers might look to break going forward:

Last 10 win season: 2003
    As I insinuated yesterday, I think this one is very possible thanks to a soft-ass crossover schedule, a potentially challenging but manageable non-conference slate, and the B1G West being a crapshoot. Personally, I would be all for a 10+ win season as long as we get one thing thatís a repeat from 2003: a close loss to Michigan.

Last win in Iowa City: November 20, 1999
    This one feels like a coin flip at best, and I wouldnít be surprised if we lost. Theyíve just had our number the last couple years, even when the games are close. Itíd be nice to get the monkey off our backs, but we might need to wait another year or two. I just think itís a bit frustrating because thereís never really anything special about Iowa. Theyíre just Northwestern thatís a bit extra.

Last B1G Title: 1967
    Oh goodness no. While Iíd be more than happy to make the argument that weíre going to be in the B1G Championship game this fall, that feels like a bridge too far. The only way we could pull it off is if we catch some team completely by surprise, but 3rd place teams just donít get to go to the B1G title game to play division champions anymore instead of the other division champion.

Last Rose Bowl: January 1st, 1962
    The only way weíre getting to the Rose Bowl is to get to the B1G Championship Game with one hell of a record and lose to a team that goes to the playoff. Michigan and Ohio State, we could really some help from one of you. Short of my children and dog, there are few things I wouldnít sacrifice to whichever God or Gods provide me with the opportunity to watch the sun set over the San Gabriel Mountains as the Gophers got throttled by the Washington Huskies.

https://www.offtackleempire.com/2019...wisconsin-iowa

Go Gophers!!

Gophs get win at Kinnick on the way to a 10-3 season.

Rows Bowl!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Consensus Top 25 Class, 4 of final 5, 80% underclassmen, Youngest Team, 2nd Youngest Team, Best Back-To-Back Classes Ever, 9 Scholarship Seniors, HS Teacher, 8-Hour Radius, Major Paycut

Floyd! Then Indianapolis!

5. Default

The Axe.

In 2020 we will beat Michigan in Minneapolis for the first time since 1977! Mark it down.

Quote Originally Posted by los venerables View Post
    The Axe.
    If the Gophers beat Wisky by 22+ again, does Chryst’s seat get warm?

I always just assumed once we had the axe we would chop our opponents and eat them or something....

Blog Entries

I'm offended, no mention of the national championship streak broken.

Would an undefeated record be enough to get into the playoff with our soft schedule?

Lots of negativity in those paragraphs. I suppose I'm generally more optimistic than some when it comes to the Gophers, but it's a new season. Anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by PitinoFan View Post
    Would an undefeated record be enough to get into the playoff with our soft schedule?

wut?

Blog Entries

Hard to know if this is a serious question, on many levels. However, if Minnesota goes 13-0, the team would definitely be in the college football playoff.

Did you forget we play in the big ten?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Default The Gophers have the Axe. What streak ends next?

Quote Originally Posted by Word View Post
    Did you forget we play in the big ten?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    No, I didnít forget, but I can imagine a team like the Gophers getting snubbed for a one-loss SEC team, using the weak schedule as an excuse.

No, I donít think they will go undefeated. LOL. My comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek.

Last edited by PitinoFan; 06-21-2019 at 10:30 PM.