The Gophers have the Axe. What streak ends next?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Off Tackle Empire:

But now it’s over, and it’s time to move on to breaking some streaks that need to fall. Here are the top 8 streaks that the Gophers might look to break going forward:

Last 10 win season: 2003
As I insinuated yesterday, I think this one is very possible thanks to a soft-ass crossover schedule, a potentially challenging but manageable non-conference slate, and the B1G West being a crapshoot. Personally, I would be all for a 10+ win season as long as we get one thing that’s a repeat from 2003: a close loss to Michigan.

Last win in Iowa City: November 20, 1999
This one feels like a coin flip at best, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we lost. They’ve just had our number the last couple years, even when the games are close. It’d be nice to get the monkey off our backs, but we might need to wait another year or two. I just think it’s a bit frustrating because there’s never really anything special about Iowa. They’re just Northwestern that’s a bit extra.

Last B1G Title: 1967
Oh goodness no. While I’d be more than happy to make the argument that we’re going to be in the B1G Championship game this fall, that feels like a bridge too far. The only way we could pull it off is if we catch some team completely by surprise, but 3rd place teams just don’t get to go to the B1G title game to play division champions anymore instead of the other division champion.

Last Rose Bowl: January 1st, 1962
The only way we’re getting to the Rose Bowl is to get to the B1G Championship Game with one hell of a record and lose to a team that goes to the playoff. Michigan and Ohio State, we could really some help from one of you. Short of my children and dog, there are few things I wouldn’t sacrifice to whichever God or Gods provide me with the opportunity to watch the sun set over the San Gabriel Mountains as the Gophers got throttled by the Washington Huskies.

https://www.offtackleempire.com/201...championship-rose-bowl-heisman-wisconsin-iowa

Go Gophers!!

Gophs get win at Kinnick on the way to a 10-3 season.

Rows Bowl!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Floyd! Then Indianapolis!

In 2020 we will beat Michigan in Minneapolis for the first time since 1977! Mark it down.

I always just assumed once we had the axe we would chop our opponents and eat them or something....

I'm offended, no mention of the national championship streak broken.

Would an undefeated record be enough to get into the playoff with our soft schedule?

Lots of negativity in those paragraphs. I suppose I'm generally more optimistic than some when it comes to the Gophers, but it's a new season. Anything is possible.

Would an undefeated record be enough to get into the playoff with our soft schedule?

Hard to know if this is a serious question, on many levels. However, if Minnesota goes 13-0, the team would definitely be in the college football playoff.

Did you forget we play in the big ten?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Did you forget we play in the big ten?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

No, I didn’t forget, but I can imagine a team like the Gophers getting snubbed for a one-loss SEC team, using the weak schedule as an excuse.

No, I don’t think they will go undefeated. LOL. My comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek.

Last edited:

If the Gophers beat Wisky by 22+ again, does Chryst’s seat get warm?

That's an interesting question.

We play them at the end of the season in 2019. At that point, we'll know if both teams are contenders or pretenders. If Minnesota goes into that game with a record of, say, 9-2... well, I can't see Alvarez firing Chryst for losing a game to a strong Minnesota team.

On the other hand, if the Gophers are sitting at something like 6-5, and then proceed to hammer the Badgers like they did last season, then maybe Chryst might be in some trouble.

That's an interesting question.

We play them at the end of the season in 2019. At that point, we'll know if both teams are contenders or pretenders. If Minnesota goes into that game with a record of, say, 9-2... well, I can't see Alvarez firing Chryst for losing a game to a strong Minnesota team.

On the other hand, if the Gophers are sitting at something like 6-5, and then proceed to hammer the Badgers like they did last season, then maybe Chryst might be in some trouble.

I don't think Barry wants to hire a new coach.

Hopefully the 25k attendance for the last games of the season.

Winning @ IA

Although I don't think i have it in me for another IA road trip

Top Bottom