2019 Minnesota Golden Gophers Potluck #1: Is Minnesota a football school now?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Off Tackle Empire:

Is Minnesota a football school now?
Who would’ve thought that, 4-5 years ago, Gopher football would be the most stable revenue program at the University of Minnesota, with a coach and a vision for the program and some semblance of progress. While Minnesota basketball has settled into comfortable mediocrity under Richard Pitino and Minnesota hockey is firmly rebuilding for all 1500 people who are showing up at Mariucci Arena to watch the Pride on Ice in a playoff game, is Minnesota football the program at the U now? What does PJ Fleck need to go in 2019 to keep that momentum going?

Bonus: Speaking of name changes and 3M Arena at Mariucci, what’s the official name change--sporting or otherwise--you refuse to acknowledge?

Dead Read: I think a great milestone would be to simultaneously hold both the Axe and Floyd. If Peej can knock of Iowa this year, he will have both of those trophies for at least two weeks. Throw in CHAIR, and it would be a great success.

As far as renamed venues goes, I have no idea what they call the stadium where the White Sox play, and I still think of Kaufman Stadium as Royals Stadium - so you can say I curmudgeonly resist just about every sponsored venue /shakes fist at cloud/.

https://www.offtackleempire.com/201...k-mark-coyle-richard-pitino-hockey-basketball

Go Gophers!!

The Gophers Men's Hockey isn't the same feel after they left the WCHA. I miss the old rivalries.

IMHO, Gopher Football under PJ Fleck is a program to watch

Last edited:

This is off topic, but I think it's time for the Gophers to add men's soccer.

Basketball just won their first NCAA tournament game in years under Pitino last year.....so I'm not sure if "settled into comfortable mediocrity" is an accurate statement at all. However, football certainly seems to have the higher ceiling.

Basketball just won their first NCAA tournament game in years under Pitino last year.....so I'm not sure if "settled into comfortable mediocrity" is an accurate statement at all. However, football certainly seems to have the higher ceiling.

Pitino's teams' AVG finish in B1G during his tenure is 9th.

Top Bottom