Analysis: Gage Keys and Ali Saad commit to the Gophers

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have been busy on the recruiting trail over the past week and the trend continued on Thursday night. After adding eight commitments since late last week, Minnesota landed two new recruits for the 2020 class.

Ohio defensive end Gage Keys committed to the Gophers over offers from Maryland, Rutgers, Cincinnati, Western Michigan and others. After spending time at both Indiana and Cincinnati, Keys took an official visit to Minnesota this week. The 6-foot-5, 240-pound defensive end is a three-star prospect, according to 24/7 Sports.

Keys has a long wingspan and it’s one of the things that really stands out. He’s a very raw pass rusher, but has the physical and athletic traits required to play defensive end in the Big Ten. Keys was really strong in outside contain and had several reps on film where he stayed home and made a big run stop on the backside of a formation. His physicality against the run is a strength and now he’ll need to refine his pass rushing moves with the coaching staff.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/9537768/5bb025a94decbb061c6fbe27' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Gophers second addition of the evening came from Michigan. Dearborn defensive tackle Ali Saad recently took a visit to Minnesota and had a rather long offer list, including Rutgers, Northwestern, Indiana, Illinois, Boston College, Cincinnati and others. The 6-foot-4, 255-pound defensive tackle is a three-star prospect, according to 24/7 Sports data.

The trait that really stands out with Saad is his quickness and ability to get off the ball swiftly. He plays with low pad level and can slide between blockers to cause run stops or quarterback pressures. Saad does a nice job of taking on contact at the point, getting vertical, shedding and splitting blockers. He has the flexibility to play a few different techniques inside because of his athleticism and size. During high school, he was rotating all over the defensive line to take advantage of his skills. Out of all the prospects Minnesota has landed in this cycle, I may be most intrigued and impressed with Saad.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/9689785/5ba40bdc5ef69608d87365b2' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

After adding ten commitments in the past week, the Gophers’ 2020 recruiting class now ranks No. 22 nationally, according to 24/7 Sports.

Daniel,

I am hearing Saad is only 16 years old. Is that correct?

Saad looks impressive. DL is going to have a new look and a lot of talent/potential coming through the next 4-5 years. I like that PJ is unafraid to trust their eyes and take some chances on lesser known or experienced guys. Some of these ultra-sleeper guys like Kreuder the physical talent explodes off the screen. Saad was obviously more heavily recruited but talent jumps off the screen and looks very physical.

Saad looks impressive. DL is going to have a new look and a lot of talent/potential coming through the next 4-5 years. I like that PJ is unafraid to trust their eyes and take some chances on lesser known or experienced guys. Some of these ultra-sleeper guys like Kreuder the physical talent explodes off the screen. Saad was obviously more heavily recruited but talent jumps off the screen and looks very physical.

We have had little to no pass rush for years. That is about to change and change in a hurry!

They are really loading up on the DL. I like it. Welcome aboard!

I saw play after play of Saad chasing down QBs from behind in the highlights. He does look very athletic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many this week alone? PJ is doing big things here at Minnesota. When was the last time we had this much excitement around the programs? I'm 47 and I can't remember other than maybe the Barber/Maroney days.

Like others have said, I'm pleased to see Fleck working on building up quality and depth on the offensive and defensive lines. As much as football has changed, the game still boils down to knocking the other side over more than they knock you over and the ability to do that generally starts with lineplay on both sides of the ball.

To beat Iowa, Wisconsin and Nebraska . . . . .even Northwestern you need beastly depth on both lines. Our O-line is stacked right now. . . . . now PJ is loading up the D-Line with quality players.

How many this week alone? PJ is doing big things here at Minnesota. When was the last time we had this much excitement around the programs? I'm 47 and I can't remember other than maybe the Barber/Maroney days.

Yeah, 2003 was probably the high point since we've been alive (same age). We aren't there (yet). The excitement going into that fateful Friday night game for me was only beaten by the '87 and '91 World Series and '91 Stanley Cup Finals.

I think also before Homecoming vs. Northwestern 2008. Brewster had got the fan base thinking of better things than mediocrity, and after a rough first season, the team was 7-1 and just beat ranked Purdue. Unfortunately, a close loss to NW started the wheels falling off the bus.

The problem is now, after those two seasons (and all the other ones), while we're all excited, we're all waiting for the other shoe to drop. That's Minnesota! :)

If he were to decommit I would be very Saad.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

The night that shall not be remembered was the most hype I’ve ever experienced as a gopher fan. I’m no longer a student or live in the cities, but I cannot imagine us being remotely close. I was on the news cast calling for “healthy celebration” if we won when the reporter asked if I was to riot.

As an old timer he reminds me of Bobby Bell which would not be toobad.

Daniel,

I am hearing Saad is only 16 years old. Is that correct?

he only comes here to post a thread an hour after the real thread was posted. don't try to speak with him.

Top Bottom