Gophers will "host" multi-team event (MTE)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Chris Dobbertean's excellent "Blogging the Bracket" page confirms Gophers will not play in a bracketed tournament in the 2019-20 season. Gophers will be the "host" school in a 5-team multi-team event (MTE), which basically means they'll play the other 4 teams at Williams Arena. There's a chance one of the games could be at a neutral site vs. a decent opponent, but I'd bet on all 4 games being at home.

As things stand now, Gophers already have 4 road/neutral-site games on their 11-game non-conference schedule, so I highly doubt they'd schedule another one. If they did that would mean only 6 non-conference games at Williams Arena.

Best-case scenario, maybe Gophers end up with one Quad 2 and one Quad 3 opponent out of the MTE?

Last edited:

What's the point of this, does playing in a faux tournament get us an extra game? Isn't this otherwise just four non-conference games wrapped in pseudo branding?

Go Gophers!!

What's the point of this, does playing in a faux tournament get us an extra game? Isn't this otherwise just four non-conference games wrapped in pseudo branding?

Go Gophers!!

SS probably knows better, but yes I believe a tournament only counts as one game or something like that. Teams that play in a tournament or exempt event or whatever it’s called can play more games.

Go Gophers!!
Yeah gets us that 11th non con game. Hopefully there's one decent opponent in the bunch

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Teams have the option of playing 29 non-conference games, or 27 games + an exempt tournament or event, which consists of 3 or 4 games (for total of 30 or 31 games). Most major conference teams (if not all) choose the exempt tournament/event route.

In addition, teams that play a road game vs. Hawaii can play an extra game, for a max of 32 regular-season games.

Top Bottom