Big East, Big Ten basketball rankings: Jerry Carino's 2019-20 forecast

That was a pretty lazy piece of work in my view.

Yeah weird that he did not mention we are returning 2 of our best players who are expected to improve, especially Oturu who is a projected top 10 center in college basketball this season

How do I get a job in the college basketball world? Pretty sure I could come up with better summaries for at least half of these teams while completely intoxicated. Predicting Nebraska to be any higher than the last two spots in the Big Ten is ridiculous and laughable.

How do I get a job in the college basketball world? Pretty sure I could come up with better summaries for at least half of these teams while completely intoxicated. Predicting Nebraska to be any higher than the last two spots in the Big Ten is ridiculous and laughable.

Most of these guys aren't in the basketball world. They're satellites, orbiting from a great distance. Kinda like Pluto. They think they're planets, but they're barely moons.

JTG

Predicting Nebraska to be any higher than the last two spots in the Big Ten is ridiculous and laughable.

Based on what? Nebraska is a complete wild card. No one has any idea where to project that team. They literally cobbled together a brand new roster in a month. They could be the worst team in the B1G, but depending on the quality of their additions, they could challenge for a tourney bid. You assume that Hoiberg didn't add good players because he did it quickly. Maybe you are right, but he has a good track record of winning with transfers. His history would suggest he might be able to outperform expectations substantially. Nebraska is the most difficult projection in the B1G, considering no one knows exactly how good their players are. Outside of predicting them to finish 1st-4th, no prediction is ridiculous and laughable.

From the outside looking in, you can understand why people might view the Gophers in that light. Losing 3 starters and a key bench player (jelly). Losing the #2 rebounder in B1G history and a consistent double-double provider. Losing McBrayer's leadership, and Coffey's all-around ability.

And replacing it with......two transfers who sat out last year; a grad transfer moving up from a mid-major level; a bunch of FR and some guys who were subs last year.

If you look at it from that perspective, you can see why people don't expect a lot from the Gophers.

Now, maybe the critics are under valuing Gabe and Oturu. Maybe Carr and Willis step right in as contributors from day 1. Maybe Damir belongs in the B1G. Maybe Omersa takes a big step forward. Maybe Curry finally gets healthy and returns to form. That's a lot of maybes.

But, I don't really think you can get mad at people who don't follow the Gophers a lot, for drawing the type of conclusion in the OP article.

Based on what? Nebraska is a complete wild card. No one has any idea where to project that team. They literally cobbled together a brand new roster in a month. They could be the worst team in the B1G, but depending on the quality of their additions, they could challenge for a tourney bid. You assume that Hoiberg didn't add good players because he did it quickly. Maybe you are right, but he has a good track record of winning with transfers. His history would suggest he might be able to outperform expectations substantially. Nebraska is the most difficult projection in the B1G, considering no one knows exactly how good their players are. Outside of predicting them to finish 1st-4th, no prediction is ridiculous and laughable.
Seeing how they have one guy who has played a minute of big ten basketball. Anything beyond 10th is rediculous. Putting up numbers at FGSU is nothing compared doing it against the likes Ohio State. They might come in wait, but Hoiberg was also terrible is first year in Ames, transfers as much about creating roster balance and scholarships as they're about quality in his case. His best transfers gave to sit out anyways

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Seeing how they have one guy who has played a minute of big ten basketball. Anything beyond 10th is rediculous. Putting up numbers at FGSU is nothing compared doing it against the likes Ohio State. They might come in wait, but Hoiberg was also terrible is first year in Ames, transfers as much about creating roster balance and scholarships as they're about quality in his case. His best transfers gave to sit out anyways

Minnesota has Oturu, Curry, Gabe, Carr, Willis, Omersa and Hurt coming back plus a better rated recruiting class than Nebraska even with the huge numbers incoming. Nebraska has nothing returning. Maybe Hoiberg can pull a miracle but predicting them to finish ahead of us at this point is not smart.

Minnesota has Oturu, Curry, Gabe, Carr, Willis, Omersa and Hurt coming back plus a better rated recruiting class than Nebraska even with the huge numbers incoming. Nebraska has nothing returning. Maybe Hoiberg can pull a miracle but predicting them to finish ahead of us at this point is not smart.
Agreed I think the 13th rating even with the unknowns a joke, I could accept 10th or even 11th, I think we will end up in the 6th-8th range like last year. Need to clean up out of conference as well

Most of these guys aren't in the basketball world. They're satellites, orbiting from a great distance. Kinda like Pluto. They think they're planets, but they're barely moons.

JTG

That's deep.

Top Bottom