Analysis: Indiana OT Martes Lewis commits to the Gophers

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have received a commitment from Merrillville, Ind. offensive tackle Martes Lewis. He chose Minnesota over offers from Cincinnati, Indiana, Ball State, Central Michigan, Illinois State and others. The 6-foot-7, 320-pound offensive tackle was a top target for the coaching staff and recently took a visit to campus. Lewis, a three-star prospect, becomes the third offensive linemen to commit in the 2020 class. He didn't receive many offers until recently, but is starting to gain momentum.

Lewis is still fundamentally raw, but possesses the movement skills and frame to contribute in the future. He flourished most in the running game and frequently down blocked to open lanes and seal the edge. His pad level has a tendency to get tall, however, when he gets inside hand position and a wide base, he has the strength to lock up opposing defensive linemen. Lewis will need refinement with his pass protection sets and that will come with additional snaps/coaching. His traits align with players Minnesota valued in the past within their blocking scheme.

Lewis also recently advanced to state in shot put, finishing second with a 55' 4.25" throw.

The Gophers now have 17 total commitments in the 2020 class, which currently ranks No. 25 nationally (No. 5 in the Big Ten), according to 24/7 Sports.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/7762332/5c0964fc02b1470da4b9974d' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like guys who are "throwers" in track. Shotput and discus teach you footwork, balance and explosion - all qualities that suit an offensive lineman.

I get nervous about project / taking a chance on fast growth guys, but we have had an OL who worked out just fine doing that lately.

You can’t teach that size. Welcome aboard!

He has time to develop behind Faalale

Three offensive tackles who played for Fleck at W. Michigan have been drafted in the NFL over the past three years, so he and his staff have a good track record here. One was a two-star and the other two were three-stars. Okorafor had some big time offers. I’m not sure how Fleck pulled that one off.

EDIT: I had to go back 36 years to find three Gopher OTs who were drafted.

2002 - Matt Anderle
1990 - Jon Melander
1983 - Todd Hallstrom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Didn't we have a guy go to Denver as a center I believe? Perhaps he wasn't drafted.

After two more years Faalele will go in the first 2 rounds. Dunlap will be drafted too.

Interesting. They obviously love the really big, athletic, raw, coachable guys.

To me, this is more evidence that we're going to pound our opponents into submission. Somewhere, Bronko is smiling.

Interesting. They obviously love the really big, athletic, raw, coachable guys.

To me, this is more evidence that we're going to pound our opponents into submission. Somewhere, Bronko is smiling.

Yep. Just like the Purdue, Wisconsin and Georgia Tech games. P.J. loves pounding the ball and eating clock. That’s what he did very successfully at W. Michigan once they built a decent lead.

Yep. Just like the Purdue, Wisconsin and Georgia Tech games. P.J. loves pounding the ball and eating clock. That’s what he did very successfully at W. Michigan once they built a decent lead.

I misread part of that comment ....

LOL!

My reaction when I misread it:

giphy.gif

Top Bottom