STrib: Gophers new PG Bryan Greenlee follows path of former U star Nate Mason

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Q: What was it like waiting this long to make a commitment but still being able to play in the Big Ten?

A: It was just so relieving and such excitement to finally get the process over. It was big time. It was definitely big time. It’s actually been a really short process. They contacted me about two weeks ago. They were interested. They saw me play AAU awhile ago recruiting two kids from my team. So, they already had a feel for my game. That’s why they were more comfortable offering me without seeing me in person and working me out.

Q: What did the Gophers tell you about why they were recruiting you right now?

A: Two weeks ago, I spoke with (Gophers assistant Kyle) Lindsted a lot. He was just pushing for me. He wanted me up there. I spoke with Coach (Richard) Pitino a little bit trying to build a relationship. I guess they were waiting on a commitment from another player (North Texas graduate transfer Ryan Woolridge). He was taking too long or uncertain. So, they decided to extend me the offer. It was just an opportunity I couldn’t pass up. I told them I was ready to come as soon as possible. They already started summer workouts and class starts Monday. It was definitely a quick process. The offer came (last Wednesday). If it was earlier in the season and I had more time to wait things might be different. But at this point, I’m just ready to settle down somewhere and call Minnesota home for the next four years.

Q: How familiar were you of the Gophers before they started recruiting you this summer?

A: I actually followed Minnesota a little bit when Nate Mason was there. He played in the same conference as me in high school. He came from ACD in the SIAA. I came from The Rock in the SIAA also. I got to watch him play in high school. I’m also familiar with teams in the Big Ten. A former teammate of mine (Jamari Wheeler) graduated from The Rock and plays for Penn State. I watch some of his games. I’m looking forward to going at him this season and anyone else.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...mer-u-star-nate-mason/511420992/?refresh=true

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom