BREAKING: GOPHERS LAND 3-STAR DYLAN MCGILL

Is it a deal where it is dependent on if JD Spielman signs or not (if there is any truth to that rumor)? Only one of the two can come at this point, as either will be the 25th and final member (assuming one doesn't walk on).

Is it a deal where it is dependent on if JD Spielman signs or not (if there is any truth to that rumor)? Only one of the two can come at this point, as either will be the 25th and final member (assuming one doesn't walk on).
But if JDS is a grad transfer, he wouldn't count against the 25. Only the overall 85.

I think??

I believe the current thinking is that JDS is using the spring 2020 semester to finish his bachelor's degree at Lincoln, and then grad transferring elsewhere for his senior season.

But the overall idea could be correct.

Coaches are not 100% certain they can make the numbers work out correctly, at least until after spring ball when more players decide to leave the program for other opportunities.

And so, McGill can't sign our offer until we are certain we have space for him. Hope that it all works out and he will be up in Minneapolis this summer!

But if JDS is a grad transfer, he wouldn't count against the 25. Only the overall 85.

I think??

I believe the current thinking is that JDS is using the spring 2020 semester to finish his bachelor's degree at Lincoln, and then grad transferring elsewhere for his senior season.
No, any newly signed scholarship player counts toward the 25, including transfers.

Transfers have always counted toward a program’s 25 new enrollees, said Blair Napolitano, LSU’s assistant athletics director for compliance.

So it will either be JDS or McGill, assuming both would be scholarship.

Your link is talking about non-grad transfers. JUCOs or transfers from other DI schools who haven't graduated.

You could be exactly correct, but that link does not prove it.

I would love to know the correct answer. Hopefully someone can shed some light on it.

OK, I did find this from SI.com, which I would hope has decent credibility to protect and so would do some amount of research or checking to make sure what they public is accurate.

"
In NCAA parlance, an initial counter is a new scholarship player at a school. In football, a school can take up to 25 initial counters each academic year as long as it doesn’t go over the 85-scholarship maximum. This rule exists for several reasons:

• To keep teams from stockpiling the best players.

• To keep teams from oversigning and shuffling out less productive older players to cover their recruiting mistakes.

• To keep a new coach from running off an entire team so he can replace the players with his own recruits.

A scholarship player signed out of high school counts as an initial. So does a junior college transfer. And so do transfers from four-year schools—be they undergraduates or graduate students.
"

So if that's correct, it could then be a good working theory that the coaches seem to think there is only one more spot left for the 2020 initial counters, and it will either go to JDS or McGill.

Like I said, theory. We don't know for sure

So if that's correct, it could then be a good working theory that the coaches seem to think there is only one more spot left for the 2020 initial counters, and it will either go to JDS or McGill.

Lots of moving parts and I am sure the coaches have a good handle on how it will all shake out.

If you want to play for the Gophers, get paperwork in order well in advance because the boat will get filled up in a hurry. They are not waiting for anyone for long.

As someone has brought up, JD Spielman ought to consider becoming a PWO unless there are rules about that too.

Last edited:

If you want to play for the Gophers, get paperwork in order well in advance because the boat will get filled up in a hurry. They are not waiting for anyone for long.

As someone has brought up, JD Spielman ought to consider becoming a PWO unless there are rules about that too.
The rules are simply a maximum number of players who can participate in fall camp. I want to say it is 105. I don't think there would be any problem making sure he would be there.

If he truly wants to come home and be a Gopher, his folks can loan him the money. I often wonder if he wished he had signed with the Gophers originally.

He missed the opportunity to bring home a title. Who knows, could we have been talking Rose Bowl, Big Ten outright title, CFB Playoff if we had him in the line up?

If he truly wants to come home and be a Gopher, his folks can loan him the money. I often wonder if he wished he had signed with the Gophers originally.

He missed the opportunity to bring home a title. Who knows, could we have been talking Rose Bowl, Big Ten outright title, CFB Playoff if we had him in the line up?
If he truly wants to come here, we can make room on the roster for a player of his caliber.

A Preferred Walk On has some expectation of a possible scholarship in subsequent years. Not sure how NCAA treats them. Since JDS, as a grad transfer, would just be here one year (then out of eligibility), he needn’t be a PWO. He could just be a full tuition paying student who “walks on” with no future scholarship expectation. If his family was OK with paying... He would count agsinst the roster numbers cap, but I don’t think he would factor into scholarship counts in any way.

Well, we know it can only be one because 24 players signed on early signing day. Obviously it could end up going to someone else or not being used...
A Preferred Walk On has some expectation of a possible scholarship in subsequent years. Not sure how NCAA treats them. Since JDS, as a grad transfer, would just be here one year (then out of eligibility), he needn’t be a PWO. He could just be a full tuition paying student who “walks on” with no future scholarship expectation. If his family was OK with paying... He would count agsinst the roster numbers cap, but I don’t think he would factor into scholarship counts in any way.
No, a PWO is simply a walk-on that was recruited. There is no implication of potential scholarship. Over 90% of PWO's never earn a scholarship. The main difference is that they count as "recruited" in NCAA parlance, which means they have to sit out a year if they transfer, where a literal walk-on (guy who shows up on his own and makes the team) can transfer anytime, anywhere with no restrictions (outside typical eligibility requirements). There are very few of those players anymore, if any. I'm not sure if any of the Gophers' walk-ons are regular walk-ons...

The down side to early commitments is that we have to worry about poaching before early NSD. We got lucky with Rashod Bateman because he already had Gopher tattoos in his arms when the big boys came calling which pretty much sealed his fate. :cool02:

Or did Rashod Batemen get lucky with us? He got plenty of playing time and clearly our coaches have taught him how to be a premier wide receiver. I would argue he's as lucky as we are.

I'm old so different perspective but offer from Harvard and Yale.... would be hard to turn down.

Not really, it's not a scholarship and it costs well over $60K a year to go to Harvard. The Ivy League gives no merit scholarships to anyone...not for academics and not for sports.

Not really, it's not a scholarship and it costs well over $60K a year to go to Harvard. The Ivy League gives no merit scholarships to anyone...not for academics and not for sports.
They do give need based assistance though, so if your family can't afford the 60k you'll get help.

They do give need based assistance though, so if your family can't afford the 60k you'll get help.

Yes indeed. But if someone says their kid got a scholarship to go to the Ivy League schools, they didn't...they got financial aid.

Yes indeed. But if someone says their kid got a scholarship to go to the Ivy League schools, they didn't...they got financial aid.
That doesn't change the math.

You have to make a good living before you have to shell out $1 to go to Harvard.

Well, we know it can only be one because 24 players signed on early signing day. Obviously it could end up going to someone else or not being used...

No, a PWO is simply a walk-on that was recruited. There is no implication of potential scholarship. Over 90% of PWO's never earn a scholarship. The main difference is that they count as "recruited" in NCAA parlance, which means they have to sit out a year if they transfer, where a literal walk-on (guy who shows up on his own and makes the team) can transfer anytime, anywhere with no restrictions (outside typical eligibility requirements). There are very few of those players anymore, if any. I'm not sure if any of the Gophers' walk-ons are regular walk-ons...

OK. Good to know. Never knew precisely what distinguished a PWO from the old “walk on” nomenclature. Bottom line: I’d take JDS for a year as a tuition-paying PWO or just a regular transfer walk-on whom we didn’t actively “recruit.” Or, if he graduates, as a grad transfer with a scholarship (if we are saving one), or without a scholarship. I’d just like to see him play for the home state in his final year.

Well, we know it can only be one because 24 players signed on early signing day.
Yes, correct. I meant the theory to be inclusive of the idea that the final spot it would be going to McGill or JDS.

That's not exactly true! There are third party scholarships to attend Ivy League Schools, off the top of my head ROTC Scholarships, would fit the definition of third party scholarships.

OK, I did find this from SI.com, which I would hope has decent credibility to protect and so would do some amount of research or checking to make sure what they public is accurate.

"
In NCAA parlance, an initial counter is a new scholarship player at a school. In football, a school can take up to 25 initial counters each academic year as long as it doesn’t go over the 85-scholarship maximum. This rule exists for several reasons:

• To keep teams from stockpiling the best players.

• To keep teams from oversigning and shuffling out less productive older players to cover their recruiting mistakes.

• To keep a new coach from running off an entire team so he can replace the players with his own recruits.

A scholarship player signed out of high school counts as an initial. So does a junior college transfer. And so do transfers from four-year schools—be they undergraduates or graduate students.
"
Back when I played NCAA Football I would routinely over recruit and cut less productive older players.

wow....good for him! he clearly wants to be a Gopher! excited to have him coming in next years cycle.

He’s grey shirting...signing in the early 2021 signing period. He’s NCAA qualified, but not U of M qualified, due to insufficient ACT/SAT scores.

Just went back and read the actual story associated with this. I would take a whole class full of kids like this. He is 100% on board with the U of M and clearly can't wait to get here in 2021. Time will tell what kind of player he turns out to be but his attitude is really impressive.

In the meantime, maybe he can help convince some buddies down in Texas to come along for the ride with him. :)

Nice! I really like his size and what I saw on his video. With a year of lifting and eating , this could get be a real diamond as a WR when he hits campus

Nice! I really like his size and what I saw on his video. With a year of lifting and eating , this could get be a real diamond as a WR when he hits campus

Not sure how all the rules work with grey shirting and what not but would guess the team will do whatever they can to get him training as close to the way the U does over the next year. Agree that an additional year of growth and maturity could enable him to really hit the ground running in 2021.

Good skill players don't tend to need as much ramp up time as lineman do. Hopefully it all works out and he can help fill the void that will be left when Bateman most likely jumps to the NFL after the 2020 season.

One of his parents has posted several times on GI over the least several months. As far as I can tell, he’s very strong academically, but had a bad test result. Sounds like he might have taken it very late in the process, figuring it wasn’t going to be an issue. They also said he could sign at several other schools, but wants to play for Fleck.

Top Bottom