Breaking news - there is a PJ Fleck (taped) Interview - Sunday, June 16

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
So, as it turns out, Sid had a taped interview with Fleck that did run during the Sports Huddle - after Dave Mona said earlier that Fleck would not appear.

Sid: Is the U of MN doing enough to promote the FB team after you had a great season?
PJ: I think they're doing a great job of promoting all sports. We have an AD who cares about all sports. that's proven by the improvements in facilities. track, VB, $166-million Athletes village. look at the success of other teams - especially softball - lots of teams having success.

Sid: what do you hear about ticket sales?
PJ: I don't find out anything until game day, when I look up and see how many people are in the stands. that comes with us continuing to build the program. once fans see what we're building. I think there's a lot of people excited about Gopher football.

Sid: are the FR on campus?
PJ: just got here. won't start summer school till June. Our players have been in summer school for 2 weeks. they're working out -getting bigger, stronger, faster. FR are getting checked in, going through orientation. we'll bring them together with the team.

Sid: will any of the FR play this fall?
PJ: a lot of them will have to play. I'm just not sure who yet. once we get a chance to work with them, we'll know more.

Sid: how about red-shirts who will play this fall?
PJ: Ford, Dunlap, they played, but also red-shirted. those guys who are RS FR, it's nice to have them.

Sid: how is Recruiting going for 2020? Any one position you're going for?
PJ: we continue to go after all positions. 2020 will probably be more heavy defense based - up front. have to replace the guys we're losing (lists names of seniors) - so we'll be more front-7 oriented. also in the secondary - need depth there. we're in the heart of the camp season for next few weeks. one of my favorite times of year. get guys committed, make more offers. bring guys on campus, have official visits coming up.

Sid: will there be a battle for QB?
PJ: Zach and Tanner everyone knows about. Cole and Jacob are getting a lot better. I like the process they're going through. they both had a fantastic spring. love the attitude in the QB room. Coach C doing great job of handling them. I like how young all of them are - we're going to have them for a long time.

Sid: compare the OL from when you started to now
PJ: we only had 4 guys who were healthy and able to practice when we got here. 2 years later, we have the makings of what could be a special unit. Daniel, Curtis, Connor, Blaise, Sam S., John M. Schmitz, Dixon, Beier, more guys coming in. There's a FR named Cooper - he could be a force. Guedet. we're night and day from where we were 2 years ago - at every position. got a lot of work to continue to do. lot of recruiting. I like the progress of where we're at.

Sid: any position you're worried about?
PJ: I'm worried about all of them. that's the job of the head coach. I'm paid to worry - to be paranoid. I'm proud of our progress. had the highest spring GPA in the history of the program. so proud of the way they work, commitment they make off the field. they're not perfect, but they work to make their lives better.

Sid: Winfield, Brooks, Smith - are they ready to go?
PJ: they'll be ready to go. Rodney, Antoine -they're ready to go now. Shannon is behind them in his rehab, but what he had done was more extensive. it will take him time, so we'll be more patient with him. I do expect him to play in the fall.

(end of tape. No Murray's)

Hey was holding his tongue on how dominant he thinks our offensive line is going to be and in the future.

Drooling over this team. Might be the best team we've had in a while as a whole. Thanks for the update Son!

Man. Seeing Brooks and Rodney on the field together again will be so fun. Not to mention the other capable RBs we have now.

Sid: will there be a battle for QB?
PJ: Zach and Tanner everyone knows about. Cole and Jacob are getting a lot better. I like the process they're going through. they both had a fantastic spring. love the attitude in the QB room. Coach C doing great job of handling them. I like how young all of them are - we're going to have them for a long time.

Have to believe at minimum 2 of the 4 will not finish their careers here. The only question is who and how soon.

Man. Seeing Brooks and Rodney on the field together again will be so fun. Not to mention the other capable RBs we have now.

I agree with this, but I almost expect it to be for a short period the way our RB's have had health issues. It's unfortunate this has almost become my expectation.

Top Bottom