Reusse: On court, pals Moe Hargrow, Joe Mauer put on a show

Offer him less on a shorter deal.

If he doesn't take it, let him walk, and let fans cry.

They'd have stopped crying rather quickly.

Were you ever excited Mauer was in the batters box during those 8 years? NO ONE WAS!

Of course he took the deal, but no one had better call him out.

Kirk Cousins got ripped to shreds last year and his numbers were far better as a qb, than Mauers were as a batter in MLB. I'll never understand it. Carry on!

You realize that during those 8 years, Mauer won a batting title from the catcher position. No one has ever done that, well, except for Joe of course.

Let him walk? Then the Twins would've been paying $23 million for somebody to play for another team. Smart. Real smart.

Sure, you could put him on waivers and if someone claims him they would pay the salary. But nobody would've claimed him at that salary for more than a year. If you release him and someone picks him up after he clears waivers, the new team would have to pay the MLB minimum. The Twins would've been responsible for the rest. Every year.

I meant let him walk from the intial contract. Shorten the years and the numbers and give him the offer................ if he walks, he walks.

Of course no one would take him after he signed it. He was brutal for that money.

Saying he was grossly overpaid for the whole contract is not dissing him. It's pure fact.

Are you just as annoyed how grossly underpaid he was during the first part of his career? What about Polanco right now, does his cheap contract infuriate you? I'm guessing not.

Are you just as annoyed how grossly underpaid he was during the first part of his career? What about Polanco right now, does his cheap contract infuriate you? I'm guessing not.

Not at all.

Again, not at all, sir!

I'm not sure you understand here sir! 23 million a year for EIGHT years! Almost every one of those 8 was inept.

He signed as a rookie for 6 million......underpaid I guess!

Last edited:

Not at all.

Again, not at all, sir!

I'm not sure you understand here sir! 23 million a year for EIGHT years!

Of course you don't.

But I do understand, I didn't have to pay it. Either did you.

Of course you don't.

But I do understand, I didn't have to pay it. Either did you.

I don't pay Pitino's either, and yet I'm begging for a new coach.

You see the difference between you and me is you've never criticized a player or coach in your lifetime.

I meant let him walk from the intial contract. Shorten the years and the numbers and give him the offer................ if he walks, he walks.

Of course no one would take him after he signed it. He was brutal for that money.

That was right after an MVP season and a new stadium. Minnesotans would've burned Target Field down if the Twins let him go at that time.

I think a lot of you are missing the point here. Signing Joe was paramount because it kept the fans coming to Target Field. Many, many fans came to see the hometown hero play. He's probably the most popular Twin since Kirby Puckett. That contract was absolutely worth it to the Pohlads.

The Twins spent 15 years trying to get a stadium, and the last 5 of those using Joe Mauer as an example of why they needed one. They couldn't let him walk as a free agent just as the new stadium finally opened. They HAD to sign him. He had just won 3 batting titles and an MVP and was a hometown kid. He had all the leverage and they had none. It was a perfect storm, and he could have taken them for more if he'd been inclined. The Yankees and Red Sox both let it be known that they'd offer him $25 million/year.

That was right after an MVP season and a new stadium. Minnesotans would've burned Target Field down if the Twins let him go at that time.

Minnesotans are so passive on sports I highly doubt that.

burned target field down is the phrase always used.

Can you imagine if we'd have let Joe go to the Yankees. I'd feel sorry for Joe had that happened.

joe would have flamed quickly and the Minnesota faithful may have just had their eyes open quickly.

The Twins spent 15 years trying to get a stadium, and the last 5 of those using Joe Mauer as an example of why they needed one. They couldn't let him walk as a free agent just as the new stadium finally opened. They HAD to sign him. He had just won 3 batting titles and an MVP and was a hometown kid. He had all the leverage and they had none. It was a perfect storm, and he could have taken them for more if he'd been inclined.

Taken them for more? What does that mean?

Not at all.

Again, not at all, sir!

I'm not sure you understand here sir! 23 million a year for EIGHT years! Almost every one of those 8 was inept.

He signed as a rookie for 6 million......underpaid I guess!

If it makes you feel any better in 2006 he made $400,000 and won the batting title.

The Twins spent 15 years trying to get a stadium, and the last 5 of those using Joe Mauer as an example of why they needed one. They couldn't let him walk as a free agent just as the new stadium finally opened. They HAD to sign him. He had just won 3 batting titles and an MVP and was a hometown kid. He had all the leverage and they had none. It was a perfect storm, and he could have taken them for more if he'd been inclined. The Yankees and Red Sox both let it be known that they'd offer him $25 million/year.

None of this takes away from the fact he was absolutely brutal for that contract.

Taken them for more? What does that mean?

He could have gotten them to 8 years/$200 million or more if he really wanted to play hardball. That's what he was rumored to be looking at on the FA market.

Last edited:

He could have gotten them to 8 year/$200 million or more if he really wanted to play hardball.

PUKE

and we could have let him walk if he asked for that. Oh wait, we couldn't.......they'd burn target field down and there would be no more baseball here.

Any reasonable, smart fan would know we dodged a bullet just a few months later.

Last edited:

None of this takes away from the fact he was absolutely brutal for that contract.

It was a fair contract at the time. Injuries happen. What did you want done about it?

For the 3rd time, concussions.

Tons of players have concussions. I'll bet all of the Twins catchers today have had them.

He was brutal for the 8 years of his monster contract.

I did not know Mauer was injured. What was the injury?

In 2011 his knees. In 2014 and beyond, concussions. For such an intense Mauer hater, you're sure ignorant of his career.

His contract was brutal for 8 years. You won't find a worse contract in Minnesota history. If you disagree, maybe you should quit.

Mike James and Troy Hudson, Ricky Nolasco for starters were worse contracts

In 2011 his knees. In 2014 and beyond, concussions. For such an intense Mauer hater, you're sure ignorant of his career.

Well, he was 6'5"....of course he wasn't going to catch for long. I thought moving him to first was going to give him more rest for his legs and help him produce.

Oh, the excuses.

For 8 years Mauer stepped in the box and you never felt any excitement.

Mike James and Troy Hudson, Ricky Nolasco for starters were worse contracts

short contracts......they sucked, but mauer sucked for 8 years at 23 million a pop! Do you have any recollection of this? The wolves should have sold T-Hud as their franchise.

Mauer performed on their level.........except for 8 years at 23 million a pop!

His contract was brutal for 8 years. You won't find a worse contract in Minnesota history. If you disagree, maybe you should quit.

Worse contract is Tsuyoshi Nishioka for the Twins. Likely to be as bad or worse are Wiggins/Wolves, Parise-Suter/Wild.

Worse contract is Tsuyoshi Nishioka for the Twins. Likely to be as bad or worse are Wiggins/Wolves, Parise-Suter/Wild.

How can parise/suter, wiggins, be bad if Mauer's wasn't?

Wiggins is friggin brutal by the way. Weren't they paying Wiggins on expected growth and previous performance?

Wiggins is friggin brutal by the way. Weren't they paying Wiggins on expected growth and previous performance?

I would explain the Salary Cap to you, but I fear you may be suffering from a concussion.

Phil Hughes also wound up to be worse.

Last edited:

I'm still confused as to why you hate Mauer for his contract. Shouldn't you be pissed at the Twins management?

I'm still confused as to why you hate Mauer for his contract. Shouldn't you be pissed at the Twins management?

I don't hate Mauer, but I don't understand all the love either.

Most athletes are called out in this town.....Wiggins, Cousins, etc.

but Mauer just walked right on past.

Top Bottom