Top 25 College Football Cornerbacks of 2019 (22. Terell Smith, Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score

I certainly feel like he’s our most underrated/under appreciated player!

I took a quick look at the other lists on that site (didn’t click through all) and they have our RBs listed, TJ at #10 and Bateman listed on WRs, CC at #7 for DEs!

I took a quick look at the other lists on that site (didn’t click through all) and they have our RBs listed, TJ at #10 and Bateman listed on WRs, CC at #7 for DEs!

They also have Big Dan listed as the #15 Tackle in this coming year. Lots of players are making these lists, really gets you excited for the coming season.

For those curious, other Gopher players listed in the various rankings provided by the site.

RBs:
23. Minnesota RB’s
2018 Stats: Rushed 366 times for 1,973 yards (5.4 ypc) and 14 touchdowns. Caught 12 passes for 133 yards (11.1 ypc).

Last year, Minnesota lost it’s top two running backs. Rodney Smith Jr. and Shannon Brooks both went down with injuries, but the running game remained in good hands. Mohamed Ibrahim and Bryce Williams proved their worth and produced most of the stats above. Now, they both might not see the field much in 2019 with Brooks and Smith back.

WRs:
10. Tyler Johnson, Minnesota
2018 Stats: Caught 78 passes for 1,169 yards (15.0 ypc) and 12 touchdowns.

Five years ago, wide receivers from Minnesota being in the Top 10 nationally would be laughable. However, times have changed, but not because of the coaching staff. P.J. Fleck and his staff have certainly helped Johnson, but the senior was already on a path to greatness. Regardless of who wins the quarterback job, they’ll have a star downfield.

Others to Watch. Rashod Bateman, Minnesota
With the attention on Tyler Johnson, Bateman could break out. Tremendous potential as a freshman, and decided to make his own path in Minnesota after receiving an offer from his home state of Georgia.

OTs:
15. Daniel Faalele, Minnesota
Massive (6’9″, 380 pounds) is an understatement, but that’s not what defines him. Faalele’s quickly becoming one of the best tackles in all of college football. Plus, he showcased his athleticism in the spring game. Could the Gophers use him in a goal line package? The spring game says yes.

DEs:
7. Carter Coughlin, Minnesota
2018 Stats: 48 tackles, 15.0 TFL, 9.5 sacks, four forced fumbles

Coughlin’s the only returning starter on the line, but he’s one of the best in the Big Ten. His NFL stock should rise a lot with another year and he’ll add to his 18 career sacks. The Gophers received a label as a potential dark horse team, they have the talent to raise some eyebrows. With one of the best defensive ends in the country, their defense should thrive.

CBs:
22. Terell Smith, Minnesota
2018 Stats: 43 tackles, 2.0 TFL, 8 PD, 1 INT

Antoine Winfield Jr. headlines the Gophers secondary, but Smith’s a great prospect too. Oh, and he’s a freshman. Smith’s one of PJ Fleck’s recruits who’s already making an impact.

I’d have to assume Winfield will he listed when he publishes safeties as well...

Terell should move up the list after this season. He made a couple freshman mistakes here and there, but he was mostly solid. I don’t recall hearing his name much over the last several games, which is a good thing. In general, opposing QBs didn’t have many open receivers, after they fired Robb Smith, and Terell is clearly a big reason for that.

I sure hope Antoine can make it through the season healthy. No punt returns, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He did get burned deep by Bateman (at least once) in the spring game. Bateman will likely do that to a lot of good corners this season, though.

It was a pretty good throw by ZA and man coverage: https://twitter.com/gopherfootball/status/1117109311916974083?s=21

Nice throw and catch. Although it's never good to get beat, he didn't allow big yards after the catch.

Wait, what? Was that a spiral? Okay, I'll see my way out...

Smith was VERY impressive as a freshman last year. But #22! Wow!

In ones to watch:

Antoine Winfield Jr., Minnesota: Famous father who played in the NFL. Winfield needs to stay healthy, but he has NFL potential just like his old man.

Who was responsible for holding Rondale Moore to 76 yards on 8 catches? I didn’t pay attention to that during the game, but that’s a solid job by whoever was assigned to him. I’m guessing there was double coverage involved. The pass rush obviously helped a lot in that game too.

Last edited:

Who was responsible for holding Rondale Moore to 76 yards on 8 catches? I didn’t pay attention to that during the game, but that’s a solid job by whoever was assigned to him. I’m guessing there was double coverage involved. The pass rush obviously helped a lot in that game too.

I believe it was Williamson

Top Bottom