Shooter: Best Amir can expect Thursday is late 2nd round pick & that seems unlikely

BleedGopher

Reaction score

There is a lot of stiff competition for fewer NBA spots. Amir has to really impress some team. Every year, quite a few great college hoops player never make it into the NBA.

I’d love to see him drafted, it doesn’t sound promising though. I wish he had returned and worked on his game some. Best of luck to him.

For Amir's sake, I hope he doesn't get drafted and can negotiate as an undrafted free agent with a team that likes his potential. I am sure he will have options as an undrafted free agent. Second rounders are not assured of anything other than having only one option.

For Amir's sake, I hope he doesn't get drafted and can negotiate as an undrafted free agent with a team that likes his potential. I am sure he will have options as an undrafted free agent. Second rounders are not assured of anything other than having only one option.

Well, he didn't get drafted, and it seems he doesn't have many options as an UDFA.

He must have received some awful advice. Unfortunate.

Now what? Did Amir graduate already?

We be interested to see how Amir handles this.

Now what? Did Amir graduate already?

We be interested to see how Amir handles this.
Now he either finds a summer league opportunity or goes overseas. Too late to come back to college

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Not sure about the awful advice - I get the impression (but this is just a gut feel) that he did not want to come back to the college game regardless - would be surprised if he did not have a contingency plan of some sort

Now he either finds a summer league opportunity or goes overseas. Too late to come back to college

Which is absurd.

I don't give a crap what the rules say now. I'm saying that what it SHOULD be is that any college player, meeting minimum NBA draft requirements, should be able to stick his name into the draft and see what happens. If he doesn't get drafted, and doesn't want to pursue other professional opportunities, he should be allowed to return to his school with zero punishment.

Which is absurd.

I don't give a crap what the rules say now. I'm saying that what it SHOULD be is that any college player, meeting minimum NBA draft requirements, should be able to stick his name into the draft and see what happens. If he doesn't get drafted, and doesn't want to pursue other professional opportunities, he should be allowed to return to his school with zero punishment.
Had he been invited to the combine, he would still be eligible to come back. I imagine he has multiple summer league options, he will be on a team Wonder if Mason will play in the Summer League

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Not sure about the awful advice - I get the impression (but this is just a gut feel) that he did not want to come back to the college game regardless - would be surprised if he did not have a contingency plan of some sort

Which is totally ridiculous. So you are saying that he might have know that we wouldn’t get picked up by a NBA, but left anyway because he was sick of college? So what is he supposed to do for a living? He will eventually have to finish his degree to get a decent job outside of BB. So coming back on his own is better than finishing on scholarship?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He can finish college and get paid to play basketball and even see other parts of the world. Perhaps he just had enough of playing college basketball.

Which is absurd.

There has not been even a hint that he wants to come back to college basketball. He will have many wonderful options. Besides, how long should coaches wait with recruiting. Sure this year there still would have been one but that is not always the case and the timing may have changed since he can be entertaining other even better experiences that would stretch out the timeline even longer and now into team activities.

That’s just fine! If he didn’t want to. Or like you say, there would need to be some kind of deadline. Or guys just know, the longer you wait, your scholly may be gone when you get back. Fine

But still think I’m right anyway about giving guys the opportunity to come back, if they want.

He can finish college and get paid to play basketball and even see other parts of the world. Perhaps he just had enough of playing college basketball.
That and the U will still pay for his education

The odds are very long to get drafted with only 60 slots.

Even though he decided to for go his senior season?

It's quite possible that when you factor in summer semesters, he may only need one more semester to graduate. I would guess the school would fund that, regardless. It's the right thing to do.

It's quite possible that when you factor in summer semesters, he may only need one more semester to graduate. I would guess the school would fund that, regardless. It's the right thing to do.

There is a NCAA rule in place about it. He can come back to finish his degree and it will be paid for.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/flexibility-going-pro-and-getting-degree

"Division I schools will be required to pay for tuition, fees and books for basketball players who leave school and return later to the same school to earn their degree. Former student-athletes will be eligible for financial assistance to complete their first degree if they were on scholarship and fewer than 10 years have passed since they left school."

per Shooter:

Ex-Gopher Amir Coffey’s free agent deal with the Los Angeles Clippers is expected to be $480,000 over two G League seasons. Clippers coach Doc Rivers has been seeking small forwards.

One reason Coffey wasn’t drafted is that he didn’t shoot well during NBA workouts. Besides the Clippers, the Chicago Bulls and Portland Trail Blazers were interested.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/06/29/charley-walters-twins-derek-falvey-thad-levine-are-keepers/

Go Gophers!!
$480,000 is a projection, not a guarantee.
With both Amir and Jordan Murphy, I always thought if we had someone who could really help them improve their shooting they both would have been drafted. That's the thing I really admired about Beilien at Michigan, he could really improve a kid's shot.

per Shooter:

Ex-Gopher Amir Coffey’s free agent deal with the Los Angeles Clippers is expected to be $480,000 over two G League seasons. Clippers coach Doc Rivers has been seeking small forwards.

One reason Coffey wasn’t drafted is that he didn’t shoot well during NBA workouts. Besides the Clippers, the Chicago Bulls and Portland Trail Blazers were interested.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/06/29/charley-walters-twins-derek-falvey-thad-levine-are-keepers/

Go Gophers!!

Wait, I thought local media reported he was shooting great during his workouts?

Wait, I thought local media reported he was shooting great during his workouts?

I remember them talking about how he was changing his shot mechanics, and there was also that video of him making like ten threes in a row or whatever number it was. Don't recall anyone saying he shot well in workouts. It's possible someone did and I missed it.

I remember them talking about how he was changing his shot mechanics, and there was also that video of him making like ten threes in a row or whatever number it was. Don't recall anyone saying he shot well in workouts. It's possible someone did and I missed it.
I think Marcus made that claim when he tweeted out the video, but I don't think that was a workout with a team, imagine it's difficult to get footage from those workouts

$480,000 is a projection, not a guarantee.
With both Amir and Jordan Murphy, I always thought if we had someone who could really help them improve their shooting they both would have been drafted. That's the thing I really admired about Beilien at Michigan, he could really improve a kid's shot.

hmmm- maybe. Beilien is a great coach. I think he recruits great shooters and improves their percentage over time by making them understand where to be on the floor and what shots they can be successful shooting. I'd guess that this is a bigger factor than actually improving their mechanics - which is much harder to do after years of habit forming.

per Shooter:

Go Gophers!!

I'd be shocked if he made that while on a 2 way G league contract (over two seasons). That would imply he is playing in the NBA for almost the max time allowed under the contract. That said, it would be awesome so I hope he does.

Top Bottom