Marshall, MN DE commits to Iowa

Yeh, but it's really close.
Drive through southern MN, it's all Pig farms, windmills, and corn.
Perfect for Iowa.

This is twice now that someone has said something to this effect - that Iowa City is "really close" to southern MN. What the hell map are you guys looking at? Iowa City is more than 150 miles from any point in Minnesota. It is much closer to Missouri, Illinois, and wisconsin than it is to Minnesota. Moreover, Marshall is almost 400 miles away from Iowa City, while it is ~150 miles from TCF Bank Stadium. Is this some sort of absurdist humor that I'm not getting?

It is difficult enough beating the suckeyes as is. Now it becomes even more difficult beating them with MN. recruits. Somehow we need to put a fence around the State. Who was the last recruit from Iowa playing for the Gophers?

How does Iowa having more MN kids make it more difficult to beat them? Iowa really hasn't recruited MN that well in a while anyways. Just get the best players you can, doesn't matter if the DE is from MN or Germany.

They may have done that, but it is wrong. It's SMSU, always and only.

But hey, glad to see you're a strong supporter of Minnesota University.

No, not always. It was SSU when I went there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is twice now that someone has said something to this effect - that Iowa City is "really close" to southern MN. What the hell map are you guys looking at? Iowa City is more than 150 miles from any point in Minnesota. It is much closer to Missouri, Illinois, and wisconsin than it is to Minnesota. Moreover, Marshall is almost 400 miles away from Iowa City, while it is ~150 miles from TCF Bank Stadium. Is this some sort of absurdist humor that I'm not getting?

The average person in Minnesota doesn't even know where Iowa City is located. Why would a dumbass football player?

The average person in Minnesota doesn't even know where Iowa City is located. Why would a dumbass football player?

Why are you so negative all the time? Arizona heat getting to you?

They may have done that, but it is wrong. It's SMSU, always and only.

But hey, glad to see you're a strong supporter of Minnesota University.

This SMSU comment is a false statement. From its origin, it was known as SMSC - Southwest Minnesota State College. Then, it became known as SSU - Southwest State University in the mid 70's. It only became known as SMSU in the early 00's.

So, it hasn't "always" been known as SMSU and in fact has been known as something other than that for a longer period of time than it has been known as SMSU.

This SMSU comment is a false statement. From its origin, it was known as SMSC - Southwest Minnesota State College. Then, it became known as SSU - Southwest State University in the mid 70's. It only became known as SMSU in the early 00's.

So, it hasn't "always" been known as SMSU and in fact has been known as something other than that for a longer period of time than it has been known as SMSU.
Per University guidelines, there are two acceptable usages of the school's name. Southwest Minnesota State University is acceptable on first reference of the school, while SMSU is acceptable on second reference.

I wasn't using always as in historically. I meant it's always supposed to be referred to as SMSU now. Not SWMSU. Not SWMS. It's SMSU.

Marshall football coach Terry Bahlmann is an Iowa native and coached down there for 20 years before coming up to Marshall. I blame him for sending Yahya to the dark side. :(

Marshall football coach Terry Bahlmann is an Iowa native and coached down there for 20 years before coming up to Marshall. I blame him for sending Yahya to the dark side. :(

While Gopher fans predominate out-state MN, there are a fair number of Hogeye-cheering transplants in that neck of the state, as well, which should not be all that surprising given its proximity to Iowegia. Any chance this kid's family or someone in his family wore black and gold that may have influenced his decision? Regardless, the connections and whims of the coach certainly affect a kid's decision. Looks like Fleck will need to do some work in shoring up the loyalties of out-state MN coaches, especially the successful ones.

Last edited:

I mean, in defense of the prior quoted post, they did just say Iowa. Not Iowa City. Which may be closer? Having been down in that area of the state some, I agree I don't really get the "it's just like Iowa" commentary as there are many parts of the state that are similar to other states, which is one of the things that makes MN great.

Apparently from the commit pic they have a sign in their practice facility that says "The Road to Indianapolis Travels Through These Doors".

I look forward to our new B1G commish moving the game to his baby, US Bank Stadium, so that Iowa players and recruits get to walk through "The Road to Minnesota Travels Through These Doors"

Dope. That thought hadn't even crossed my mind.....but you have a good point. US Bank's chances of getting the BCG just went up exponentially.

dude, i've got to meet you irl. it is a kind of trolling.

troll, doesn't care about iowa (just like the rest of the world): intentionally misrepresents iowa to get iowan's jimmies rustled
iowan: "um, akshully, iowa is more than pig farm, windmills and corn. there's also soybeans."
also iowan: "and marshall is 150 miles away from minneapolis and is 163 miles away from the nearest town of appreciable size in iowa."

I wasn't using always as in historically. I meant it's always supposed to be referred to as SMSU now.

Thanks for the clarification. Your definition of "always" doesn't include the past and I'm assuming it also doesn't include the future, correct? So "Always" is actually "present time"

Some folks in this thread:

w39lExI.gif

from local Iowa Athletic article where they seem to inflate Yahaya's stars from 3 to 4...
https://theathletic.com/1579143/202...ng-minnesota-four-star/?source=shared-article

When Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck told Yahya he had three days to commit because the coach was going on a trip, the player ended all interest in the Gophers.

"They tried to pressure me," Yayha said. "I don't like being rushed into something that I don't want to do, like being rushed into a huge decision that's going to change my life."

from local Iowa Athletic article where they seem to inflate Yahaya's stars from 3 to 4...
https://theathletic.com/1579143/202...ng-minnesota-four-star/?source=shared-article

When Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck told Yahya he had three days to commit because the coach was going on a trip, the player ended all interest in the Gophers.

"They tried to pressure me," Yayha said. "I don't like being rushed into something that I don't want to do, like being rushed into a huge decision that's going to change my life."
The old argument between Fleck and Kill. Not sure what I'd do if I was in this position.

How is that being pressured? It's being honest. Letting a kid know the scholarship isn't going to be there forever isn't pressuring imo. It's obvious we were not the right fit anyways, so it's smart that he didn't pick here.

How is that being pressured? It's being honest. Letting a kid know the scholarship isn't going to be there forever isn't pressuring imo. It's obvious we were not the right fit anyways, so it's smart that he didn't pick here.
Good point.

PJ has outright said that he tells the kid it is first come first serve.

Life is full of deadlines.

The player may not have liked being "pressured", but at least Fleck was upfront with him. The backhanded way of doing it would be offering a scholarship and when the kid attempts to commit in 3 months, being told it's no longer available.

To be honest, if he was important enough, Fleck would make room for him if he committed after his "3 days" were up anyway.

3 days and "forever" are worlds apart. Surely, there is some middle ground.

It's clear the Gopher staff misplayed their hand here. Whether or not he was a priority for Gophers is up for debate, but they approached his recruitment as if he wasn't. And it burned them.

It's clear the Gopher staff misplayed their hand here. Whether or not he was a priority for Gophers is up for debate, but they approached his recruitment as if he wasn't. And it burned them.
Its a bit premature to say it burned them. Let’s see how things play out in the next few years. Then we’ll have a better idea

Unless he was offered on the same day he was told he needed to commit in 3 days, he would have had longer than 3 days to decide.

How were we burned? Also it's not misplaying if it's honest. How would've the kid felt if he didn't let him know then on Monday he hears its gone? Seems better to be fair and honest with the kid

If he had any interest in the gophers at all he would’ve just given his verbal and figured things out from there. It’s just a place holder, he decided he didn’t need more time to think about the gophers.

Its a bit premature to say it burned them. Let’s see how things play out in the next few years. Then we’ll have a better idea
Burned in the sense that he committed elsewhere (and to a top rival). Yes, whether or not he pans out in college remains to be seen.

If he had any interest in the gophers at all he would’ve just given his verbal and figured things out from there. It’s just a place holder, he decided he didn’t need more time to think about the gophers.
Could be this. Or it could be that the kid believes in the whole "word is my bond" type mantra. Tough to know either way.

He did get a bump to four stars by 247. Not the composite score though. Among the most under the radar four stars I’ve seen as far as offers.

Top Bottom