Gophers receive commitment from 2019 guard Bryan Greenlee

Someone else - it may have been Pompous Elitist or Bob Loblaw, but I can't remember so I can't give proper attribution - has pointed out that even though we sometimes gasp in horror at the things written on this site, it really is incredibly tame compared to most other forums in other parts of the country. Even Iowa and Wisconsin boards are significantly more vicious than this one.

I suspect Gopher Hole is in no way adversely affecting recruiting.

Message boards matter about as much in recruiting as the distance the campus is from the recruit's favorite fast food restaurant. This is one of the sillier conversations I have seen in a while on here and that is saying something.

This thread is about Bryan Greenlee. If you don't want it to be about something else then start talking about him and not about what you don't want to talk about.

Someone else - it may have been Pompous Elitist or Bob Loblaw, but I can't remember so I can't give proper attribution - has pointed out that even though we sometimes gasp in horror at the things written on this site, it really is incredibly tame compared to most other forums in other parts of the country. Even Iowa and Wisconsin boards are significantly more vicious than this one.

I suspect Gopher Hole is in no way adversely affecting recruiting.

Is this true? look at other message boards from time to time and hasnt struck me that our board is more tame.

Last edited:

Message boards matter about as much in recruiting as the distance the campus is from the recruit's favorite fast food restaurant. This is one of the sillier conversations I have seen in a while on here and that is saying something.

This thread is about Bryan Greenlee. If you don't want it to be about something else then start talking about him and not about what you don't want to talk about.
Kinda defeats the purpose of threads in the first place doesn't it?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Regarding your statement that you never changed your mind about Pitino, if you check your posts from this winter, will see that you posted that your opinion of Coyle would be lessened if he didnt fire Pitino.

Where did i say that, can not find it anywhere ! Also did not say that the most recent recruit was suspect. If you check my posts i continually mentioned keeping Pitino. I also believe that if this year is under .500 he should be gone. I am not attacking anyone for having a different standard than i do for what is great coaching. People can decide for themselves. This board is for opinions and this thread was about recruiting and i posted my thoughts on that. The mods can cut or ban me if they think sharing my opinions is out of line. It is the opposite on the football board where i also support the coach but there he was the first choice and thought of as incredible by the best in that business. Both cases it is a bottom line business and you better win something meaningful or you will be fired.

Where did i say that, can not find it anywhere ! Also did not say that the most recent recruit was suspect. If you check my posts i continually mentioned keeping Pitino. I also believe that if this year is under .500 he should be gone. I am not attacking anyone for having a different standard than i do for what is great coaching. People can decide for themselves. This board is for opinions and this thread was about recruiting and i posted my thoughts on that. The mods can cut or ban me if they think sharing my opinions is out of line. It is the opposite on the football board where i also support the coach but there he was the first choice and thought of as incredible by the best in that business. Both cases it is a bottom line business and you better win something meaningful or you will be fired.

You stated that in response to my question at the time. My post history seems to only go back to March 5, unless Im doing it wrong. Will see if I can get it to search further back.

Barring the bottom falling out, it would be incredibly short sighted to Fire Pitino based on next year. They need to be competitive next year, but with only two average at best seniors on the team, this team should be a top four in 2021 with what's currently here. If they land some of guys they're targeting, they can win and should contend for a conference title in two years. I do think if we are trending water on the recruiting trail and stuck in mediocre after 2021, I would be on board with making a move, but for now I think we're close and I want to see it play out. There's always a new hot shot mid major guy every year

Barring the bottom falling out, it would be incredibly short sighted to Fire Pitino based on next year. They need to be competitive next year, but with only two average at best seniors on the team, this team should be a top four in 2021 with what's currently here. If they land some of guys they're targeting, they can win and should contend for a conference title in two years. I do think if we are trending water on the recruiting trail and stuck in mediocre after 2021, I would be on board with making a move, but for now I think we're close and I want to see it play out. There's always a new hot shot mid major guy every year

I think Pitino should have to make the NIT to be safe. There are 7 newcomers (counting the sit-out transfers) and a situation like that is always a challenge for most programs (of course, a small number of programs (e.g., Michigan State) simply reload rather than rebuild). If Pitino can win 18 or 19 regular season games, I think he will have done well enough. If he wins enough to get to the NCAA tournament, he will have done a fabulous job - his best as coach.

I don't think you can say - "yeah, but wait until 2021" as an excuse to remove firing from consideration. If you do that, you are saying Pitino shouldn't be expected to have two or three consecutive "good" or even "decent" years in a row. Pitino needs to show he can have two reasonably successful years in a row; that's something he has yet to demonstrate. Besides, if this team has so much potential, there's no reason to believe that a new coach can't be more successful with this personnel as it matures.

I think Pitino should have to make the NIT to be safe. There are 7 newcomers (counting the sit-out transfers) and a situation like that is always a challenge for most programs (of course, a small number of programs (e.g., Michigan State) simply reload rather than rebuild). If Pitino can win 18 or 19 regular season games, I think he will have done well enough. If he wins enough to get to the NCAA tournament, he will have done a fabulous job - his best as coach.

I don't think you can say - "yeah, but wait until 2021" as an excuse to remove firing from consideration. If you do that, you are saying Pitino shouldn't be expected to have two or three consecutive "good" or even "decent" years in a row. Pitino needs to show he can have two reasonably successful years in a row; that's something he has yet to demonstrate. Besides, if this team has so much potential, there's no reason to believe that a new coach can't be more successful with this personnel as it matures.
This team should be a bubble team so winning 17-19 games shouldn't be an issue. These days though it's a thin line between Nit and NCAA, could be the difference between two wins depending the scenario and regular season champs that lose in March. PSU didn't make the NIT but had they beaten us twice they may have gotten in last year and we would've been an 8-12 team that got dummied on Thursday at the BTT and probably wouldn't have made the NIT. Point is, boys need to be competitive and quite frankly if Pitino recruits the state fairly well his seat will not be hot this year, that's just reality

How 'bout them Twins!
I'm glad to see this step. We have a chance to see this kid develop, which is why I'm a season ticket holder. Our JUCO's have not been inspiring unless I've forgotten someone. But underrated frosh have been known to be a pleasant surprise.

How 'bout them Twins!
I'm glad to see this step. We have a chance to see this kid develop, which is why I'm a season ticket holder. Our JUCO's have not been inspiring unless I've forgotten someone. But underrated frosh have been known to be a pleasant surprise.
Lil Dre was pretty solid. So was Bo by Jackson

This team should be a bubble team so winning 17-19 games shouldn't be an issue. These days though it's a thin line between Nit and NCAA, could be the difference between two wins depending the scenario and regular season champs that lose in March. PSU didn't make the NIT but had they beaten us twice they may have gotten in last year and we would've been an 8-12 team that got dummied on Thursday at the BTT and probably wouldn't have made the NIT. Point is, boys need to be competitive and quite frankly if Pitino recruits the state fairly well his seat will not be hot this year, that's just reality

I agree that if he pulls off an in-state recruiting coup that takes off a lot of pressure but he has a spotty record on that dimension. As far as being a bubble team, I don't know how anyone could know that yet with all of the new faces. We've got four freshmen and none of them are a sure thing. The three transfer newcomers are veterans of bad teams. The team could be good but that's not "money in the bank."

At what point do we run out of excuses for Richard? Good program lose guys to graduation and the NBA. It's time for him to be prepared.

How has this thread turned into a Pitino bitch session.
I just saw Ja Morant be taken second in the NBA draft when no one knew about him going into college. I'm excited to see what Greenlee turns into. I think the ceiling is higher than people around here believe.

I found it. My question was, "If the gophs dont make the tourney and Pitino isnt fired, will your opinion of Coyle be diminished." You replied it would. Anyway, I misremembered my question and apologize for misrepresenting your position.

At what point do we run out of excuses for Richard? Good program lose guys to graduation and the NBA. It's time for him to be prepared.
I am not making excuses, I am dealing in reality, the reality is he's not getting fired unless the bottom falls out. It's weird that you can be such a Flecksexual on the football board when he hasn't done anything near what Pitino has over there yet, but Elite, Howpher, Culture and Stuff

I am not making excuses, I am dealing in reality, the reality is he's not getting fired unless the bottom falls out. It's weird that you can be such a Flecksexual on the football board when he hasn't done anything near what Pitino has over there yet, but Elite, Howpher, Culture and Stuff

I thought it was a Fleckite? You should hurry and get the rights to "Flexsexual."

The differences between Fleck and Pitino are pretty clear. Fleck just finished his 2nd season and had one of the most impressive ends to a season in my lifetime. Won 3 of the last 4, including blowouts of Wisky in Madison and GT in the Bowl Game. He is recruiting at a much higher level than what we've seen in the past, and optimism for his 3rd year is extremely high. Most people are expecting the football team to have one of the best regular season records in the past 40+ years.

As for Richard, after six seasons he has the same number of NCAA wins that Fleck has bowl wins. He's had 2 of the 6 worst seasons in the history of the basketball program and a conference record that is among the worst of any coach we've had. We're now told not to expect too much for the 2019-2020 season - I've seen predictions between 8th and 13th in the B1G.

Someone had a great post a few months ago - Richard is like the sign "Free Beer Tomorrow."

I thought it was a Fleckite? You should hurry and get the rights to "Flexsexual."

The differences between Fleck and Pitino are pretty clear. Fleck just finished his 2nd season and had one of the most impressive ends to a season in my lifetime. Won 3 of the last 4, including blowouts of Wisky in Madison and GT in the Bowl Game. He is recruiting at a much higher level than what we've seen in the past, and optimism for his 3rd year is extremely high. Most people are expecting the football team to have one of the best regular season records in the past 40+ years.

As for Richard, after six seasons he has the same number of NCAA wins that Fleck has bowl wins. He's had 2 of the 6 worst seasons in the history of the basketball program and a conference record that is among the worst of any coach we've had. We're now told not to expect too much for the 2019-2020 season - I've seen predictions between 8th and 13th in the B1G.

Someone had a great post a few months ago - Richard is like the sign "Free Beer Tomorrow."

Anyone arguing that Richards numbers are good would be wrong, however it's the trajectory. We were not projected to be a tournament team 3 years ago either by most analysts, but we ended up a 4 seed. Writers will give this team a poor grade because of the unknown. They only know what we lost. Richard made some huge mistakes right away and he's had to repair them. In my eyes he is on the right track and I expect an NCAA birth again this year barring catastrophic injuries like 2 years ago. This team will be different, but will defend well and have significantly better outside shooting which should open things up for Daniel down low. Besides Mich State, no team in the big ten really scares me. I think it will be a crapshoot, but I still believe the gophers will be in the 5-8 range at worst.

Anyone arguing that Richards numbers are good would be wrong, however it's the trajectory. We were not projected to be a tournament team 3 years ago either by most analysts, but we ended up a 4 seed. Writers will give this team a poor grade because of the unknown. They only know what we lost. Richard made some huge mistakes right away and he's had to repair them. In my eyes he is on the right track and I expect an NCAA birth again this year barring catastrophic injuries like 2 years ago. This team will be different, but will defend well and have significantly better outside shooting which should open things up for Daniel down low. Besides Mich State, no team in the big ten really scares me. I think it will be a crapshoot, but I still believe the gophers will be in the 5-8 range at worst.

An NCAA berth would be terrific and possible but I really don't know how anyone could say with confidence that the incoming team "should" do that. It's reasonable to assume that this team will have more depth than most of Pitino's past teams but we've assumed that before and have been wrong.

A "trajectory" has not been established and anyone making that claim simply is giving a hopeful reading of tea leaves. One must have at least two good or decent years in a row to discern that. If Pitino has a decent-to-good year this year then maybe we can claim that there is a trajectory. A lot depends upon the collective performance of this year's freshmen and the quality of next year's recruits.

People bitching and moaning about Pitino...take it somewhere else. I come here to see if there is more discussion about Bryan Greenlee and instead I get people bitching about something else.
Moderators, please delete the conversations that have nothing to do with Bryan Greenlee.

An NCAA berth would be terrific and possible but I really don't know how anyone could say with confidence that the incoming team "should" do that. It's reasonable to assume that this team will have more depth than most of Pitino's past teams but we've assumed that before and have been wrong.

A "trajectory" has not been established and anyone making that claim simply is giving a hopeful reading of tea leaves. One must have at least two good or decent years in a row to discern that. If Pitino has a decent-to-good year this year then maybe we can claim that there is a trajectory. A lot depends upon the collective performance of this year's freshmen and the quality of next year's recruits.

I stated that in "my eyes" I see a positive. It'd be 3 good years in a row barring the injuries two years ago, so I give him a pass on that. I don't for his earlier recruiting errors and roster mistakes. In my eyes he's had 2 good years and 3 good recruiting classes out of 4. I'm aware this one is up for debate, I like seeing guys like Tre Williams, Gabe, and Greenlee come in. My assumption or belief that this team can be an NCAA tourney team is of as much knowledge of the situation as you have that they won't be good.

Greenlee's past tells us he will be a good citizen and hard worker. This will only help our culture and continue us upward imo.

People bitching and moaning about Pitino...take it somewhere else. I come here to see if there is more discussion about Bryan Greenlee and instead I get people bitching about something else.
Moderators, please delete the conversations that have nothing to do with Bryan Greenlee.

Yes, please. Ban the bitchers. Put them under a bridge somewhere, or at least lock them in their own thread so I don’t have to smell their bile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My assumption or belief that this team can be an NCAA tourney team is of as much knowledge of the situation as you have that they won't be good.

Greenlee's past tells us he will be a good citizen and hard worker. This will only help our culture and continue us upward imo.

You're reading something into my comments that isn't there. I never said they wouldn't be good. I just said there isn't enough knowledge base at this point to assume that they would be very good. I really don't understand why some of you guys insist on being super optimists. No one is going to give you a reward for that if they do turn out to be pretty good. If you're doing that just for the social acceptance of other perennial pollyannas, well, then that's just flat out pathetic.

"Greenlee's past tells us he will be a good citizen and hard worker." Who the hell said he wasn't? Try to stay focused here.

I've heard this argument before: "We were on a trajectory until that year with the injuries." Every time I hear that, it sounds like a shared rubbish talking point. A good year, followed by a terrible year, followed by a reasonably successful year that was helped a great deal by the committee deciding to take 8 Big Ten teams doesn't appear to be a trajectory. The reason Pitino's teams go to hell in a handbasket whenever there is a significant injury is because he has failed consistently to develop an effective bench throughout his tenure and prefers to squeeze every ounce of possible performance from his top horses. From where I sit, that is a much clearer theme than any "trajectory." He does appear to have some potential for quality depth this year. Let's hope he develops it. Perhaps having fewer top dogs could be a blessing in disguise.

Greenlee may surprise a lot of doubters. Just wait and see.

You're reading something into my comments that isn't there. I never said they wouldn't be good. I just said there isn't enough knowledge base at this point to assume that they would be very good. I really don't understand why some of you guys insist on being super optimists. No one is going to give you a reward for that if they do turn out to be pretty good. If you're doing that just for the social acceptance of other perennial pollyannas, well, then that's just flat out pathetic.

"Greenlee's past tells us he will be a good citizen and hard worker." Who the hell said he wasn't? Try to stay focused here.

I've heard this argument before: "We were on a trajectory until that year with the injuries." Every time I hear that, it sounds like a shared rubbish talking point. A good year, followed by a terrible year, followed by a reasonably successful year that was helped a great deal by the committee deciding to take 8 Big Ten teams doesn't appear to be a trajectory. The reason Pitino's teams go to hell in a handbasket whenever there is a significant injury is because he has failed consistently to develop an effective bench throughout his tenure and prefers to squeeze every ounce of possible performance from his top horses. From where I sit, that is a much clearer theme than any "trajectory." He does appear to have some potential for quality depth this year. Let's hope he develops it. Perhaps having fewer top dogs could be a blessing in disguise.

I'm was just stating my belief that we are on an upward. You are more than entitled to believe they are not. Agree I'm being optimistic, but I believe our staff in place is better at player development than our former two assistants. I also think we will see the benefits of better facilities, but of course I'm guessing. Never said I wasn't and there are no medals for being pessimistic either. As far as depth, 4-5 teams in the country had great depth in college basketball last year. The transfer market has made it remarkably hard to develop depth and hitting on under the radar kids is the way I think we could it. I'm also aware it can backfire.

My mention of Greenlee at the end of my post was to bring a thread dedicated to him back to him. Apologize for the lack of focus.

Perhaps people are optimistic about gopher recruits because they're fans of the gophers. Seems like a difficult concept on the surface. Just like participation trophies aren't given out for being "right" about under the radar recruits panning out. They're not handed out for the easy guess of them not panning out either.

Top Bottom