Gophers receive commitment from 2019 guard Bryan Greenlee

Frank Grimey Grimes

Reaction score
Wow was not expecting this. To be honest, I had not even heard of him until the commitment. He had an offer from Iowa per Marcus Fuller. Regardless, welcome aboard! He fills a position of need and can come in and prove his worth!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

As far as I can tell, he will be eligible to enroll immediately and should join the team in the next couple of weeks if not sooner.

Last edited:

This one makes me a little nervous. I was hoping for a grad transfer or two. I will hope for the best though.

This is bizarre. His name hasn't been mentioned once in connection with us, nor has he been to campus from everything I can tell. And that offer list is not exactly inspiring.

Would've much preferred a grad transfer like everyone else. That said, pickings were getting slim and we needed another ball handler/body in here for 19/20. Hopefully Greenlee proves his worth as a sleeper prospect. If not...none of us should be shocked if this doesn't work out.

Wow, very unexpected.

Hopefully we can still add either Woolridge or Scanlon.

Apparently Greenlee didn't even visit and when they offered him a scholarship over the phone today he committed immediately.

This is bizarre. His name hasn't been mentioned once in connection with us, nor has he been to campus from everything I can tell. And that offer list is not exactly inspiring.

Would've much preferred a grad transfer like everyone else. That said, pickings were getting slim and we needed another ball handler/body in here for 19/20. Hopefully Greenlee proves his worth as a sleeper prospect. If not...none of us should be shocked if this doesn't work out.

Brock Stull was pretty good.
I'd rather have someone to develop.

Iowa offer is interesting. Columbia offer tells he he's smart, 6'3" plays PG can do alot worst with your 12th roster spot. I remember this staff Being very upfront with Gilbert that he had two years to make something of himself a few years back, wonder if this is a similar situation

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Well...hmmm. Kind of like a gulp of room temperature tap water.

I'm happy to give a guy a shot. If he is here a couple years and doesn't develop, maybe he transfers. At least we are using the scholarship.

Proven winner - 2 state championships. That was part of UVA's formula for success, right?

Sounds like Bryan is a tough competitor, a leader and a winner. If so, that's a great ingredient to add to a team and maybe he's a guy who drives everyone to be better. Welcome aboard Mr Greenlee!

Well, we saw last year what happens if you don't have enough quality point guards. So, even if this guy needs a year or two to adjust to the college game, he's an insurance policy for the future.

A lot of FB coaches talk about recruiting at least one QB every year. The same could be said for PG's in hoops. To paraphrase Karl Malden - "Point guards. Don't leave home without one."

Former coaches highlighting his ability to defend 90 feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found this story about him from last summer.

Among the trio of PG offers to go out at the end of July was one to Bryan “BJ” Greenlee. Greenlee, to this point, has been a bit of an under the radar guy. His other offers have come from Arkansas State and Moorehead State. He doesn’t have a star rating on any of the major recruiting services (they can’t even agree on his height) and it’s not a name most Hawkeye fans have heard of.

But that doesn’t mean he can’t play. Turn on the film and what you see is perhaps the most complete offensive game of the three offers that were extended. Greenlee has decent size at somewhere between 6’0” and 6’3” depending on which service you want to believe, that’s plenty big for a PG. And he can knock down the outside shot. So far, he sounds like basically every other PG Fran has ever recruited.

Beyond the three point shooting, though, Greenlee has a bit better quickness than we see from a guy like Jordan Bohannon. He certainly isn’t the quickest of the offers, but he is able to get into the lane and finish through contact. He has a solid frame and big build to allow him to absorb blows at the rim. He also shows solid defense. All things Iowa should be looking for.

While he’s clearly a step down from the initial target, Carton, let’s face it, just about everyone in the country is. He put up 16 and 6 a game last year at The Rock School in Gainesville, Florida. The Hawkeye offer was Greenlee’s first P5 offer and he seems excited. He plans to make it to Iowa City for a visit in the fall.

Who knows how much will translate, but I like that he has size, is a willing defender, and apparently an okay shooter. He probably won't see a ton of time next year and that will be fine as he develops.

If he develops into a solid backup player who plays good defense, more power to the Gophers.

Must have REALLY not wanted to go to Iowa.

His Iowa offer came last summer. Once Iowa got the commit from the PG from New York, they were out of the mix.

Gophers could still land the kid from North Texas.

wow...came out of nowhere....but yeah for the 12th roster spot we shouldn't really have expected a high end type player. hopefully he can slowly get his feet wet playing behind Carr and by the time he is an upperclassman hopefully at the very least he can be a solid backup point guard

Found this story about him from last summer.

Who knows how much will translate, but I like that he has size, is a willing defender, and apparently an okay shooter. He probably won't see a ton of time next year and that will be fine as he develops.

Rivals has him listed at 6' 175. He does not appear to be 6'3" from the videos I watched, unless he happens to be playing against giants.

But, he seems to handle the ball well with both hands and finish with both hands. Pretty nice looking shot too.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

Gophers add point guard depth with three-star Florida senior Bryan Greenlee

Looking to add point guard depth for next season, the Gophers landed a commitment Thursday night from three-star 2019 Florida point guard Bryan "BJ" Greenlee.

Greenlee, a 6-foot senior from the Rock School in Gainesville, Fla., had one other Power Five scholarship offer from Iowa last summer, but he also visited Cincinnati and considered Old Dominion.

Greenlee was named the Gainesville Sun's Co-Player of the Year for small schools in Florida after leading the Rock to its second Sunshine Independent Athletic Association state title. He averaged 13.7 points, 7.3 assists, 4.2 rebounds and 2.5 steals last season.

“He’s had a great high school career,” The Rock coach Justin Harden said. “Minnesota is getting a kid who is going to be really tough. He looks the part. He’s 6-feet and 185-190 pounds. He looks like a defensive back. He plays the game the right way. He’s a student of the game and really balanced player. He’ll provide consistency and leadership.”

Greenlee started on the varsity for three seasons and helped his team win 134 games. As a sophomore, he played alongside current Penn State starting guard Jamari Wheeler, who was one of the best defenders for the Nittany Lions last season. That’s also a strength for Greenlee.

“He’s a phenomenal on-ball defender, picking up guys 94 feet,” Harden said. “That was one of the main things with coach (Richard) Pitino that we talked about is just him being able to come off the bench the first year and just being able to use his athleticism to cause havoc and being a spark on the defensive end.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...star-florida-senior-bryan-greenlee/511273412/

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

Looking to add point guard depth for next season, the Gophers landed a commitment Thursday night from three-star 2019 Florida point guard Bryan "BJ" Greenlee.

Greenlee, a 6-foot senior from the Rock School in Gainesville, Fla., had one other Power Five scholarship offer from Iowa last summer, but he also visited Cincinnati and considered Old Dominion.

Greenlee was named the Gainesville Sun's Co-Player of the Year for small schools in Florida after leading the Rock to its second Sunshine Independent Athletic Association state title. He averaged 13.7 points, 7.3 assists, 4.2 rebounds and 2.5 steals last season.

“He’s had a great high school career,” The Rock coach Justin Harden said. “Minnesota is getting a kid who is going to be really tough. He looks the part. He’s 6-feet and 185-190 pounds. He looks like a defensive back. He plays the game the right way. He’s a student of the game and really balanced player. He’ll provide consistency and leadership.”

Greenlee started on the varsity for three seasons and helped his team win 134 games. As a sophomore, he played alongside current Penn State starting guard Jamari Wheeler, who was one of the best defenders for the Nittany Lions last season. That’s also a strength for Greenlee.

“He’s a phenomenal on-ball defender, picking up guys 94 feet,” Harden said. “That was one of the main things with coach (Richard) Pitino that we talked about is just him being able to come off the bench the first year and just being able to use his athleticism to cause havoc and being a spark on the defensive end.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...star-florida-senior-bryan-greenlee/511273412/

Go Gophers!!

I'm not saying Greelee will be a stud at all, but I love the type of wings we are starting to get. We are getting winners who can defend(Gabe, Tre, and Greenlee). This formula has been successful in many programs and it's probably the correct style for the U.

per Marcus:

Go Gophers!!

Love to hear about the defense first!

So is he 6-3 or 6-foot? 247 and other pieces say 6-3, but his coach says 6-foot.

Sounds like a solid defender, something that is always need in the B1G. Welcome aboard!

Top Bottom