Gophers receive commitment from 2019 guard Bryan Greenlee

I think the Iowa offer was from last summer. Not sure he could commit to them now even if he wanted to.

Correct. There is a reason why Greenlee jumped at the offer over the phone, we're clearly the only high major team in on him.

I'm fine with this. He will be a back-up to Carr. For these kids it's all about playing time. Greenlee must be fine playing a secondary roll for a couple years until Carr is gone.

He's from Gainesville, so I'll call it in...

Gator Country is now Gopher Country

I'm fine with this. He will be a back-up to Carr. For these kids it's all about playing time. Greenlee must be fine playing a secondary roll for a couple years until Carr is gone.

Yep, and in fact, his coach stated that he would be good starting out his first year in a backup role providing ball handling and defensive hustle. So the expectations are right.

Fla hoops has him 5’11 and 33rd 2019 prospect in FLA. Rivals has him 6 foot PG...

I like that he seems to be a pure PG, which we don't currently have on our roster. From what I have read Carr is more of a combo guard, and Willis has some ballhandling chops but wouldn't want him to be the primary guy. Would be nice if he could give us 5-10 minutes per game of energy and defense.

Welcome Bryan! Excited to have you as a Gopher. There is nothing but opportunity for you at Minnesota! Looking forward to seeing you add to the team and grow your game.

That's all they need 5-10 minutes a night, good D, don't turn the ball over, run the offensive and grown with experience.

I'm good with this. If he wants to be here, works hard and can run the offense effectively, that works for me. Lot of kids aren't highly recruited out of HS and turn out to be really good. Hopefully he is one of those.

This one makes me a little nervous. I was hoping for a grad transfer or two. I will hope for the best though.

Based on his highlights, doesn't seem like much of an outside shooter. But perhaps a good back-up PG.

I'm hoping for Sr. level Maverick Ahanmisi but for 4 years instead of 1.

Last edited:

Based on his highlights, doesn't seem like much of an outside shooter. But perhaps a good back-up PG.

I'm hoping for Sr. level Maverick Ahanmisi but for 4 years instead of 1.

I watched a highlight video of his junior season and he did knock down a number of outside shots in which he looked very comfortable. Clearly doesn't show the misses, but seems competent at least from outside when open. Definitely not an immediate impact player as many have said, but would be nice to have the backup pg slot locked down for a couple years.

I watched a highlight video of his junior season and he did knock down a number of outside shots in which he looked very comfortable. Clearly doesn't show the misses, but seems competent at least from outside when open. Definitely not an immediate impact player as many have said, but would be nice to have the backup pg slot locked down for a couple years.

Yeah I think I watched that same video and it made it look like outside shooting was his biggest strength. The disparity between the two videos is a good example of how misleading highlights are.

A few thoughts on this signing:
1. Greenlee looks like a typical 3 star pg that you'd expect to see. Nothing incredible or standout about his game but looks like he can be a decent B1G pg with time to develop.
2. This could affect our 2020 recruiting class negatively. Pitino has essentially gambled that our 11th scholie is worth developing Greenlee (3* pg) and only keeping 3 scholies open for next year instead of reserving all 4 of them for the talented 2020 class. Depending on how Greenlee turns out we will see if this was the correct choice.
3. Even though Greenlee's highlight tape didn't look that spectacular, overall I think we should all appreciate how the quality of Pitino's recruiting classes has gone up. No longer is Pitino taking huge risks with offering players with questionable upside such as Gaston, Bakari, and Hurt. The program as a whole is starting to consist of more athletic, lengthy players (Ihnen, Williams, Freeman, Oturu).
4. Finally, if we can keep Oturu throughout his junior season as we did with Coffey (I'm not one of the believers who thinks he will have a season good enough to declare for the NBA draft) and we can land some of the bigger 2020 recruits, we could be looking down at the rest of the B1G in a couple years.

A few thoughts on this signing:
1. Greenlee looks like a typical 3 star pg that you'd expect to see. Nothing incredible or standout about his game but looks like he can be a decent B1G pg with time to develop.
2. This could affect our 2020 recruiting class negatively. Pitino has essentially gambled that our 11th scholie is worth developing Greenlee (3* pg) and only keeping 3 scholies open for next year instead of reserving all 4 of them for the talented 2020 class. Depending on how Greenlee turns out we will see if this was the correct choice.
3. Even though Greenlee's highlight tape didn't look that spectacular, overall I think we should all appreciate how the quality of Pitino's recruiting classes has gone up. No longer is Pitino taking huge risks with offering players with questionable upside such as Gaston, Bakari, and Hurt. The program as a whole is starting to consist of more athletic, lengthy players (Ihnen, Williams, Freeman, Oturu).
4. Finally, if we can keep Oturu throughout his junior season as we did with Coffey (I'm not one of the believers who thinks he will have a season good enough to declare for the NBA draft) and we can land some of the bigger 2020 recruits, we could be looking down at the rest of the B1G in a couple years.

Nah.....I don't believe in keeping scholarships open this year so you can keep slots open for future years in the hopes of landing MN kids. I'd also be very surprised if we didn't have more than three scholarships after next year (assuming the current open scholarship stays open). It's the nature of college basketball.

Nah.....I don't believe in keeping scholarships open this year so you can keep slots open for future years in the hopes of landing MN kids. I'd also be very surprised if we didn't have more than three scholarships after next year (assuming the current open scholarship stays open). It's the nature of college basketball.

I agree, plus this doesn't stop us from signing a PG next year, also I could see Curry grad transferring if he can't stay healthy or turn into the player we thought he would pre injury. Maybe Oturu has a monster year and goes pro, maybe Freeman gets homesick. Obviously hope none of those things happen, but it's a safe bet in college bball you will have one more spot than anticipated

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Not to mention...I don't think we are even gonna get 3 of the instate guys next year. It's disappointing but nobody seems all that interested in the Gophers and they all have a lot of great options.

Maybe, but my guess is that he would have committed by now if he intended to commit.

You'd think, but you would also think we would be able to find an update regarding his next visit(s) if he knew he wasn't coming here. Maybe he wants to come here and we are holding off for some reason. Maybe we're waiting to see what players become available after the NCAA levels sanctions on some teams.

For AAU games
- Shot 44% from the floor
- 40% from 3-point range
- Had a 2-to-1 Assist to turnover ratio.

I'll take those stats any day.

Agreed fully. In all honesty if Pitino somehow managed to get that many of them to want to be here, room would be found via a recommended transfer out

The last time we had two functional PGs on the roster at the same time was when Mason and Hollins played together in Dre's last year. Kevin Dorsey (remember him?) was fairly functional but his career was derailed before it really even began.

The fact that we have Carr and this Greenlee kid gives me hope (plus I think Willis can give us spot minutes in desperate situations). Obviously a grad transfer PG would have been ideal, but I don't think a grad transfer wants to play behind Carr. According to some accounts/reports/speculation, Carr may be the best player on our roster next season (I think Oturu will be, but we'll see).

This is an absolute position of need. Great get for a balanced team. Now one more scholarship to hand out...

Agreed fully. In all honesty if Pitino somehow managed to get that many of them to want to be here, room would be found via a recommended transfer out

Yup, and I think Nate Mason's signing might have been greeted similarly on here? If he only gets as good as Nate...that'll probably be okay.

He can definitely handle the ball. If he can penetrate and dish....if he can find Ihnen and Gabe open at the three point line he'll be a major plus...especially if he is a great on ball defender as stated.

Welcome Bryan!

Top Bottom