Gophers receive commitment from 2019 guard Bryan Greenlee

Thought Freeman had a TCU and VaTech offer, he was going to visit vs tech before Buzz left

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yeah VT was definitely interested, but I never saw an offer anything stating they offered. I actually checked 247 and it does list a TCU offer though.

Like I said in the post, not a fully accurate picture and not all are committable or fake offers just because it is or isn't on 247. Not the point I was making regardless.

The difference in perception in this class mainly stems from a lack of solid offers or interest from other schools imo. I'm not telling anyone how they should value that compared with ranking and personal opinion, but simply laying out what I think are the facts. I had posted earlier the list of schollies that players over the last 4 years had been offered (I know there is offers that aren't committable and ones that are legit that don't show up on 247).

If you go by individual rankings? 4th in B1G, avg commit rating would be 10th technically but 10-7 all have avg player ratings of 92 and a decimal....so I'm going to call it 7. So basically 4th rated class in B1G and avg commit ranking tied for 7th. Yeah if I was looking at this I wouldn't be disappointed.

If you go by offer list? Yeah probably a bit underwhelming that Greenlee only had ark state/Columbia/iowa offered that dried up fast , Tre Williams had a Pepperdine offer, and Freeman didn't have any. Ihnen would be the exception as he appeared to have some good offers. If you compare the number of solid programs that have offered these guys as opposed to previous classes, yeah I would be disappointed.

I'm not really sure how people draw such strong conclusions either way. Pointing out that its ranked highly in the B1G doesn't make you a homer and pointing out that these players lack big time offers doesn't make you a troll lol. I wish we could have a little bit of a better debate without just lumping everyone into the same boat and not listening.

EDIT: and after reading my post again I would say if you want to compare B1G rankings you should do the same when it comes to offers. By that I mean add up the offers other commits have on a given year (that gets hard to compare with the variety of schools though).

I think it really boils down to if you trust the coaches or not. A B1G coach does not need to have his player evaluations substantiated by an offer from another team or some ranking systems! Most of the major criticisms have come from posters that do not like Pitino.

Our coaches saw each and every one of these player in person on numerous occasions and felt that they were a fit for their vision of the team. Were there some other players that maybe that wanted even more? Most likely, but you have to pick the players that want to be here at the U. As we have more success, then more higher profile players will want to play for the U.

On another note, look at the trouble that Izo has getting the 5 star players. There are only a few programs that can live up to the recruiting expectations of some of the GH faithful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are far more examples of why not to trust Pitino with players that weren't heavily recruited. He's had a few successes, but has struck out on most.

The class is "highly rated" in the B1G simply because we have 4 recruits - more than most teams. I actually think Pitino has done a decent job of salvaging a class that could have been a disaster. The perception that his recruiting was really bad this class stems primarily from missing on so many of his initial targets.

There are far more examples of why not to trust Pitino with players that weren't heavily recruited. He's had a few successes, but has struck out on most.

The class is "highly rated" in the B1G simply because we have 4 recruits - more than most teams. I actually think Pitino has done a decent job of salvaging a class that could have been a disaster. The perception that his recruiting was really bad this class stems primarily from missing on so many of his initial targets.
People who didn't work out
Bk, Gas, Gilbert, Jelly, Martin, McNeil, Lofton, Fitz

People who did work out
Mason, Murphy, McBreyer, Mathieu, Coffey, Oturu, Gabe, Lynch, Springs

People who have been meh
Malik Smith, King, Morris (great in win at Sparty), Harris, (had onions in that win at PSU), Hurt, Curry (injuries), Matz, Stull (Wisconsin game and earned his way back into rotation at the end)

Too early to tell
Omersa, current crop of Freshman, Demir, Carr and Willis. May add one more GT

Tragic
Jarvis Johnson

People who didn't work out
Bk, Gas, Gilbert, Jelly, Martin, McNeil, Lofton, Fitz

People who did work out
Mason, Murphy, McBreyer, Mathieu, Coffey, Oturu, Gabe, Lynch, Springs

People who have been meh
Malik Smith, King, Morris (great in win at Sparty), Harris, (had onions in that win at PSU), Hurt, Curry (injuries), Matz, Stull (Wisconsin game and earned his way back into rotation at the end)

Too early to tell
Omersa, current crop of Freshman, Demir, Carr and Willis. May add one more GT

Tragic
Jarvis Johnson

My comment was regarding players that didn't work out and weren't heavily recruited. This centers around the "trust the coaches" mentality. Coffey and Oturu were heavily recruited and were/are both studs.

I would put Stull and Hurt in the "didn't work out" category. BK was more productive than either of them. I can't think of who Harris is?

My comment was regarding players that didn't work out and weren't heavily recruited. This centers around the "trust the coaches" mentality. Coffey and Oturu were heavily recruited and were/are both studs.

I would put Stull and Hurt in the "didn't work out" category. BK was more productive than either of them. I can't think of who Harris is?

Harris was here for a year, class of 2017. Stull and Hurt have both played enough to not be bust, we don't beat Badgers without Stull. Hurt isn't spectacular, but hes not a total dud, moves well in the offense, plays good enough d. Konate lacked bball IQ and couldn't catch. Fair enough on Coffey and Oturu, but give credit is due in recruiting those studs. Overall I would say it's a mix bag, which is why this tenure has been a rollercoaster

Jamir Harris- New York kid, great pure shooter, small with not great handles or speed. Issue was inability to play at point and too small for a 2 guard.

Not sure how people forget our players so quickly. He played for us in 2018 and then transferred. Had 16 points in an OT win against Penn State.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/4277966/jamir-harris

I think it really boils down to if you trust the coaches or not. A B1G coach does not need to have his player evaluations substantiated by an offer from another team or some ranking systems! Most of the major criticisms have come from posters that do not like Pitino.

Our coaches saw each and every one of these player in person on numerous occasions and felt that they were a fit for their vision of the team. Were there some other players that maybe that wanted even more? Most likely, but you have to pick the players that want to be here at the U. As we have more success, then more higher profile players will want to play for the U.

On another note, look at the trouble that Izo has getting the 5 star players. There are only a few programs that can live up to the recruiting expectations of some of the GH faithful.

A person can like Pitino, think he has earned B- as a recruiter and a D as a coach. Oneof my issues is the idea that he is a great recruiter and a great coach. I like the players he gets minus the handful of character scum we have seen. The issue is how to put them together. Everyone should understand how hard recruiting is. Programs miles better than ours do not get all their first choices either but they find guys under the radar and win huge. Thinking this way does not mean you hate Pitino. It means that one way another we expect way better results.

Most of the major criticisms have come from posters that do not like Pitino.

There is plenty to criticize Pitino about. Posters can criticize him and it doesn’t mean they dislike him.

A person can like Pitino, think he has earned B- as a recruiter and a D as a coach. Oneof my issues is the idea that he is a great recruiter and a great coach. I like the players he gets minus the handful of character scum we have seen. The issue is how to put them together. Everyone should understand how hard recruiting is. Programs miles better than ours do not get all their first choices either but they find guys under the radar and win huge. Thinking this way does not mean you hate Pitino. It means that one way another we expect way better results.

Pretty impressive to win BT coach of the year when you gave him a D. How would you rate his coaching that season and this past one?

Pretty impressive to win BT coach of the year when you gave him a D. How would you rate his coaching that season and this past one?

Winning Coach of the Year in the conference means nothing. It basically says "We thought your team would suck and it didn't"

Tubby was the Big 12 COY in 2015-16.
Josh Pastner won ACC COY in the same year Pitino was B1G COY.
The last time Izzo (who is without question the best coach in the B1G) won B1G COY was seven years ago.

Pitino has been okay. But the fact that he won B1G COY two years ago means next to nothing.

As far as Greenlee goes, I expect him to be a role player for his first couple of years. After that it depends on how he develops. I just hope he can knock down the 3. We need more guys who can do that. He should play a lot early if he can.

Last edited:

Your on the wrong forum. Nobody wants to give Pitino credit for anything. Your absolutely right. How did Pitino do in those two years he made tournament. Awful coaching. It doesnt matter on this sight if you beat Izzo a few times people dont count that. Hes a terrible coach that has gone to NCAA tournament a couple of times and doesnt know what hes doing. Coyle must feel that way too as hes given him an extention and sees the program going right direction as maybe 1 other on this site lol

Pitino gets a D for coaching. Lol. What a joke. Once again, a thread derails because some bonehead writes a long screed about why Pitino can’t be trusted on the recruiting trail, prompting defenders of the program (including myself) to clap back against those assertions, which then encourages a poster like builtbadger — who definitely isn’t a troll and only means well and just wants to do right by the program by crapping on our coach in a thread dedicated to an incoming freshman (end sarcasm) — to jump in and play Mr. Civility when all he’s doing is distracting from the main point of the thread.

To all the anti-Pitino guys in this thread, I (and others) see what you are doing. It’s getting old. Do I think Pitino has swung and miss on recruits? Yeah, I do. Washington, Harris, Gilbert, just to name a few. Every coach misses on recruits and what those guys have to do with Greenlee is beyond me. The Gophers needed a backup ball handler. Due to crazy circumstances (Coffey), it prevented us from securing a top-tier PG. Greenlee was definitely a backup plan. Doesn’t mean he can’t succeed here, nor does it mean we can’t find a PG in 2020. If Greenlee is below average at best, he will be gone next year and will hopefully find a mid-major that wants him, allowing us to go after a highly-ranked PG and allowing Greenlee to get some experience and hopefully find a new home where he can thrive. It’s a win-win for both parties involved. We get a body behind Carr who isn’t a walk on and Greenlee gets to raise his stock in the Big10. Best case scenario is that Greenlee proves to be a baller and we got ourselves a 4-year floor general.

Now that the thread is back to talking about Greenlee, I encourage anyone who wants to bitch about our 2019 class, or Pitino’s recruiting, or Pitino’s D grade for coaching (Lol) to start their own new thread

Last edited:

Winning Coach of the Year in the conference means nothing. It basically says "We thought your team would suck and it didn't"

Tubby was the Big 12 COY in 2015-16.
Josh Pastner won ACC COY in the same year Pitino was B1G COY.
The last time Izzo (who is without question the best coach in the B1G) won B1G COY was seven years ago.

Pitino has been okay. But the fact that he won B1G COY two years ago means next to nothing.

As far as Greenlee goes, I expect him to be a role player for his first couple of years. After that it depends on how he develops. I just hope he can knock down the 3. We need more guys who can do that. He should play a lot early if he can

Having a willing individual to be number 12-13 on the bench is more valuable that we give credit for. We are giving this kid a chance and if it works out great, if not, nothing was lost this next year. Scholarships are so fluid now a days with how many kids transfer. Greenlee may be over his head, or he's the type of leader who gets underrecruited, but will rise above because he's a hard worker who enjoys process and isn't afraid of some adversity (low rating, etc...)

Pitino gets a D for coaching. Lol. What a joke. Once again, a thread derails because some bonehead writes a long screed about why Pitino can’t be trusted on the recruiting trail, prompting defenders of the program (including myself) to clap back against those assertions, which then encourages a poster like builtbadger — who definitely isn’t a troll and only means well and just wants to do right by the program by crapping on our coach in a thread dedicated to an incoming freshman (end sarcasm) — to jump in and play Mr. Civility when all he’s doing is distracting from the main point of the thread.

To all the anti-Pitino guys in this thread, I (and others) see what you are doing. It’s getting old. Do I think Pitino has swung and miss on recruits? Yeah, I do. Washington, Harris, Gilbert, just to name a few. Every coach misses on recruits and what those guys have to do with Greenlee is beyond me. The Gophers needed a backup ball handler. Due to crazy circumstances (Coffey), it prevented us from securing a top-tier PG. Greenlee was definitely a backup plan. Doesn’t mean he can’t succeed here, nor does it mean we can’t find a PG in 2020. If Greenlee is below average at best, he will be gone next year and will hopefully find a mid-major that wants him, allowing us to go after a highly-ranked PG and allowing Greenlee to get some experience and hopefully find a new home where he can thrive. It’s a win-win for both parties involved. We get a body behind Carr who isn’t a walk on and Greenlee gets to raise his stock in the Big10. Best case scenario is that Greenlee proves to be a baller and we got ourselves a 4-year floor general.

Now that the thread is back to talking about Greenlee, I encourage anyone who wants to bitch about our 2019 class, or Pitino’s recruiting, or Pitino’s D grade for coaching (Lol) to start their own new thread

You nailed it. I expect and hope the Greenlee will have a good career at the U. Pitino has given him his chance and it is up to him to make the most of it. Go Gophers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is plenty to criticize Pitino about. Posters can criticize him and it doesn’t mean they dislike him.

Of course, but I was pointing out that it is the same group of posters that are on record for wanting Pitino run out of town. Having them tear apart everything that the team does is not just being critical.

Thanks for saving me a lot of time. Great summary.

Of course, but I was pointing out that it is the same group of posters that are on record for wanting Pitino run out of town. Having them tear apart everything that the team does is not just being critical.

Alchemy, you know by now that i am not part of that group. I point out the things i see he has done well, like recruiting, like upgrading his staff. Gave him a low B for last years coaching but i am not going to ignore where he has fallen short. Still, i supported him coming back last year and earning another year. If people are relentlessly trying to get rid of him or always being negative that is one thing but looking through a critical eye is different, i do that for every program i follow. However, i will not turn a blind eye to the bottom line of wins and losses and there is not a metric to make any argument that he is great. That is earned with conference titles or a final 4, something. We have fans who talk about the run to the Big 10 SEMIS ! Two wins is not a run by my book. Every fan can decide for themselves . As for recruiting, i stated that he does a really good job. Gabe was a incredible find, same with Oturo and several others. The latest recruit is someone i have not seen and perhaps he fits a meaningful role. Also, after the blue bloods, no one gets everyone they want. No one has 12 guys that are all incredible players. These needless attacks on posters who take time and research to support their opinions should be welcome on a message board. Keyboard bullies are not making a contribution by attacking another opinion, everyone has their own set of eyes, some level of experience and a standard for what is good or great. what is poor or mediocre. It is a bottom line business. In these power conferences it is tough but i do not think it is too much to ask to be in the top 3 once in 6-7 years.

Alchemy, you know by now that i am not part of that group. I point out the things i see he has done well, like recruiting, like upgrading his staff. Gave him a low B for last years coaching but i am not going to ignore where he has fallen short. Still, i supported him coming back last year and earning another year. If people are relentlessly trying to get rid of him or always being negative that is one thing but looking through a critical eye is different, i do that for every program i follow. However, i will not turn a blind eye to the bottom line of wins and losses and there is not a metric to make any argument that he is great. That is earned with conference titles or a final 4, something. We have fans who talk about the run to the Big 10 SEMIS ! Two wins is not a run by my book. Every fan can decide for themselves . As for recruiting, i stated that he does a really good job. Gabe was a incredible find, same with Oturo and several others. The latest recruit is someone i have not seen and perhaps he fits a meaningful role. Also, after the blue bloods, no one gets everyone they want. No one has 12 guys that are all incredible players. These needless attacks on posters who take time and research to support their opinions should be welcome on a message board. Keyboard bullies are not making a contribution by attacking another opinion, everyone has their own set of eyes, some level of experience and a standard for what is good or great. what is poor or mediocre. It is a bottom line business. In these power conferences it is tough but i do not think it is too much to ask to be in the top 3 once in 6-7 years.

Thank you for this part especially

Buit, I have no problem with you sharing your opinion. I think you often raise points that are hard to dispute.

I do have a problem when you (and others) hijack threads and deliberately poison the well. This isn’t 1999. Online message boards aren’t some obscure hangouts for sports fans. Gopher recruits read these threads. If Greenlee hasn’t read this thread yet, wait till he does an interview with Gopherhole and finds the forum. You handing out D grades to the coach brings nothing to the table here. If you want to say you are suspect of Greenlee being a Big10 player, fine, that’s what this thread is for. But don’t smuggle in unrelated topics. It’s very shady and borderline bad faith.

You claim to follow other programs. Please, Built, link me to posts on other teams’ message boards where you are critical. I understand you are a fan of Virginia, so it will probably be hard to find negative opinions about them. But surely there are examples of you pissing off Bagers fans because you were concerned about the poor recruiting, or Pitino out-coaching them in Madison. Surely there are other examples outside this message board of you offering even-handed criticism.

If you can’t provide examples or you won’t, I’m going to continue to think your presence on this board is only a neutral observer who likes to stir the pot. I’m fine with fans of other teams posting on opposing teams’ boards. I’m not fine when they are dishonest about their intentions.

As far as your insistence that you wanted to give Pitino another year, that is dubious at best. I have culled your past posts before suggesting you wanted Pitino gone. It wasn't until the Big10 Tournament did you change your tune. (I would wager that’s because a lot of prominent people on this board kept faith in the team and thought they’d make the tournament, and you didn’t want to come off as both wrong and salty.)

Last edited:

Buit, I have no problem with you sharing your opinion. I think you often raise points that are hard to dispute.

I do have a problem when you (and others) hijack threads and deliberately poison the well. This isn’t 1999. Online message boards aren’t some obscure hangouts for sports fans. Gopher recruits read these threads. If Greenlee hasn’t read this thread yet, wait till he does an interview with Gopherhole and finds the forum. You handing out D grades to the coach brings nothing to the table here. If you want to say you are suspect of Greenlee being a Big10 player, fine, that’s what this thread is for. But don’t smuggle in unrelated topics. It’s very shady and borderline bad faith.

You claim to follow other programs. Please, Built, link me to posts on other teams’ message boards where you are critical. I understand you are a fan of Virginia, so it will probably be hard to find negative opinions about them. But surely there are examples of you pissing off Bagers fans because you were concerned about the poor recruiting, or Pitino out-coaching them in Madison. Surely there are other examples outside this message board of you offering even-handed criticism.

If you can’t provide examples or you won’t, I’m going to continue to think your presence on this board is only a neutral observer who likes to stir the pot. I’m fine with fans of other teams posting on opposing teams’ boards. I’m not fine when they are dishonest about their intentions.

As far as your insistence that you wanted to give Pitino another year, that is dubious at best. I have culled your past posts before suggesting you wanted Pitino gone. It wasn't until the Big10 Tournament did you change your tune. (I would wager that’s because a lot of prominent people on this board kept faith in the team and thought they’d make the tournament, and you didn’t want to come off as both wrong and salty.)

Have pissed of many UW fans on recruiting issues, Bo Ryan ethics,it not being as elite university as some other publics and on and on. I did not change my mind about Pitino coming back, especially because of any other posters. I never even knew there was something like a prominent poster. You can think whatever you want. Recruits that i know would be more offended by some negative post about them, especially from someone who has not even seen them than a post from someone about a coach with a horrendous record. Recruits have already decided on what coach they agreed to play for when they committed. As for the undecided, they are smart enough to decide for themselves who they think is better for them, what program is better for them. They generally pick the best offer they have after considering all the things that are important to them. Playing time, coaches accomplishments, school, mates, Location, program prestige and on and on. What people post is damn far down the list.

I hope you keep in mind that what you are expecting has NOT happened since 1981-82 without us getting in trouble with the NCAAs. The great Tubby Smith- and I don't say that sarcastically as he was a great coach- never got above .500 in the Big Ten. What this coach and team needs is a supportive community behind them. A full Barn. Fans that talk up the potential and support the coach- while he is here.

It is obvious to me that you are a very knowledgeable guy and if you are who I think you are - you have a lot of street cred to speak on basketball programs. However, if you are a Gopher fan who comes on here as an expert, I totally agree with the poster who called you out for giving Pitino a 'D' for coaching. That does no good. What do you think you are accomplishing? If Pitino had had reasonable luck the year everyone got injured and Lynch got suspended his Big Ten record as a coach would be better than our historical record and we would be on a three straight tournament run with a chance to continue to build on it.

Entitled to think what you want. I will not use if, buts or could haves for any program. Personally i am also not looking to measure against a losing past, i am looking for a winner, someone who wins conference titles, a final 4, or even better, 6-7 years of dominant seasons. It has been done at other places where it had not been done before. Again, that is what i am looking for. No excuses. Every program can use them every year.

I hope you keep in mind that what you are expecting has NOT happened since 1981-82 without us getting in trouble with the NCAAs. The great Tubby Smith- and I don't say that sarcastically as he was a great coach- never got above .500 in the Big Ten. What this coach and team needs is a supportive community behind them. A full Barn. Fans that talk up the potential and support the coach- while he is here.

It is obvious to me that you are a very knowledgeable guy and if you are who I think you are - you have a lot of street cred to speak on basketball programs. However, if you are a Gopher fan who comes on here as an expert, I totally agree with the poster who called you out for giving Pitino a 'D' for coaching. That does no good. What do you think you are accomplishing? If Pitino had had reasonable luck the year everyone got injured and Lynch got suspended his Big Ten record as a coach would be better than our historical record and we would be on a three straight tournament run with a chance to continue to build on it.

Built's coaching grade is over his whole tenure and I tend to agree with him tenure wise. I also agree that it was almost expected with hiring a young inexperienced coach that he was going to make some mistakes. What I like about Pitino is his willingness to grow. He's gotten better coaching D and I think his staff is better than what it was. His earlier mistakes haunted him. Kimani is a nice guy, but he was not a great asst at MN. Also quick fixes on recruiting hurt him as well. This is part of why I like this Greenlee commitment. Good character and hard working kid who's been a winner. Hopefully turn into a good leader, but for sure will be a good teammate and help create a great culture.

Built's coaching grade is over his whole tenure and I tend to agree with him tenure wise. I also agree that it was almost expected with hiring a young inexperienced coach that he was going to make some mistakes. What I like about Pitino is his willingness to grow. He's gotten better coaching D and I think his staff is better than what it was. His earlier mistakes haunted him. Kimani is a nice guy, but he was not a great asst at MN. Also quick fixes on recruiting hurt him as well. This is part of why I like this Greenlee commitment. Good character and hard working kid who's been a winner. Hopefully turn into a good leader, but for sure will be a good teammate and help create a great culture.

+1 on Greenlee. I have heard Built praise Bennett for taking guys that were under the radar like this kid. I'd be willing to bet he wasn't on their site calling the recruit suspect.

Pitino has had "D" seasons and "A" seasons. His early mistakes DID hurt him- he was too impatient for quick success and took too many risks. I'd say last year was a "B". I give him a total pass on the year before. That year has no bearing on who he is as a coach and he had that team prepped to be a very, very good squad. Overall, I give Pitino, in view of the overall program history and circumstances a C+ on coaching with a positive trend going and a B- on recruiting also with a positive trend. At age 37 or whatever he is, I like his future a lot if he gets a few breaks. If he gets momentum locally, look out.

Have pissed of many UW fans on recruiting issues, Bo Ryan ethics,it not being as elite university as some other publics and on and on. I did not change my mind about Pitino coming back, especially because of any other posters. I never even knew there was something like a prominent poster. You can think whatever you want. Recruits that i know would be more offended by some negative post about them, especially from someone who has not even seen them than a post from someone about a coach with a horrendous record. Recruits have already decided on what coach they agreed to play for when they committed. As for the undecided, they are smart enough to decide for themselves who they think is better for them, what program is better for them. They generally pick the best offer they have after considering all the things that are important to them. Playing time, coaches accomplishments, school, mates, Location, program prestige and on and on. What people post is damn far down the list.

Where you get your news shapes your world view. This is one of the only places to get gopher news so when someone hijacks a thread and posts poisonous stuff it has an impact. Maybe not a huge impact when the coach is flying to meet you directly but it is still there. Your friends are also reading up and giving you their opinion, your family, the hometown news, coaches, other players - if they want more info they come here. THERE IS NO PLACE FOR THIS NONSENSE ON GOPHERHOLE.

If you want to truly help please take this poison to the Badgers board to spread poison with their recruits...

Nailed it. :clap:

+1 on Greenlee. I have heard Built praise Bennett for taking guys that were under the radar like this kid. I'd be willing to bet he wasn't on their site calling the recruit suspect.

Pitino has had "D" seasons and "A" seasons. His early mistakes DID hurt him- he was too impatient for quick success and took too many risks. I'd say last year was a "B". I give him a total pass on the year before. That year has no bearing on who he is as a coach and he had that team prepped to be a very, very good squad. Overall, I give Pitino, in view of the overall program history and circumstances a C+ on coaching with a positive trend going and a B- on recruiting also with a positive trend. At age 37 or whatever he is, I like his future a lot if he gets a few breaks. If he gets momentum locally, look out.

And therein lies built.......

Regarding your statement that you never changed your mind about Pitino, if you check your posts from this winter, will see that you posted that your opinion of Coyle would be lessened if he didnt fire Pitino.

Last edited:

Top Bottom