Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Someone else - it may have been Pompous Elitist or Bob Loblaw, but I can't remember so I can't give proper attribution - has pointed out that even though we sometimes gasp in horror at the things written on this site, it really is incredibly tame compared to most other forums in other parts of the country. Even Iowa and Wisconsin boards are significantly more vicious than this one.

I suspect Gopher Hole is in no way adversely affecting recruiting.

Message boards matter about as much in recruiting as the distance the campus is from the recruit's favorite fast food restaurant. This is one of the sillier conversations I have seen in a while on here and that is saying something.

This thread is about Bryan Greenlee. If you don't want it to be about something else then start talking about him and not about what you don't want to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbandale View Post
    Someone else - it may have been Pompous Elitist or Bob Loblaw, but I can't remember so I can't give proper attribution - has pointed out that even though we sometimes gasp in horror at the things written on this site, it really is incredibly tame compared to most other forums in other parts of the country. Even Iowa and Wisconsin boards are significantly more vicious than this one.

I suspect Gopher Hole is in no way adversely affecting recruiting.

Is this true? look at other message boards from time to time and hasnt struck me that our board is more tame.
    Last edited by ltf; 06-20-2019 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bizzle22 View Post
    Message boards matter about as much in recruiting as the distance the campus is from the recruit's favorite fast food restaurant. This is one of the sillier conversations I have seen in a while on here and that is saying something.

This thread is about Bryan Greenlee. If you don't want it to be about something else then start talking about him and not about what you don't want to talk about.
    Kinda defeats the purpose of threads in the first place doesn't it?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ltf View Post
    Regarding your statement that you never changed your mind about Pitino, if you check your posts from this winter, will see that you posted that your opinion of Coyle would be lessened if he didnt fire Pitino.
    Where did i say that, can not find it anywhere ! Also did not say that the most recent recruit was suspect. If you check my posts i continually mentioned keeping Pitino. I also believe that if this year is under .500 he should be gone. I am not attacking anyone for having a different standard than i do for what is great coaching. People can decide for themselves. This board is for opinions and this thread was about recruiting and i posted my thoughts on that. The mods can cut or ban me if they think sharing my opinions is out of line. It is the opposite on the football board where i also support the coach but there he was the first choice and thought of as incredible by the best in that business. Both cases it is a bottom line business and you better win something meaningful or you will be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    Where did i say that, can not find it anywhere ! Also did not say that the most recent recruit was suspect. If you check my posts i continually mentioned keeping Pitino. I also believe that if this year is under .500 he should be gone. I am not attacking anyone for having a different standard than i do for what is great coaching. People can decide for themselves. This board is for opinions and this thread was about recruiting and i posted my thoughts on that. The mods can cut or ban me if they think sharing my opinions is out of line. It is the opposite on the football board where i also support the coach but there he was the first choice and thought of as incredible by the best in that business. Both cases it is a bottom line business and you better win something meaningful or you will be fired.
    You stated that in response to my question at the time. My post history seems to only go back to March 5, unless Im doing it wrong. Will see if I can get it to search further back.

Barring the bottom falling out, it would be incredibly short sighted to Fire Pitino based on next year. They need to be competitive next year, but with only two average at best seniors on the team, this team should be a top four in 2021 with what's currently here. If they land some of guys they're targeting, they can win and should contend for a conference title in two years. I do think if we are trending water on the recruiting trail and stuck in mediocre after 2021, I would be on board with making a move, but for now I think we're close and I want to see it play out. There's always a new hot shot mid major guy every year

Quote Originally Posted by bemidjigopher View Post
    Barring the bottom falling out, it would be incredibly short sighted to Fire Pitino based on next year. They need to be competitive next year, but with only two average at best seniors on the team, this team should be a top four in 2021 with what's currently here. If they land some of guys they're targeting, they can win and should contend for a conference title in two years. I do think if we are trending water on the recruiting trail and stuck in mediocre after 2021, I would be on board with making a move, but for now I think we're close and I want to see it play out. There's always a new hot shot mid major guy every year

I think Pitino should have to make the NIT to be safe. There are 7 newcomers (counting the sit-out transfers) and a situation like that is always a challenge for most programs (of course, a small number of programs (e.g., Michigan State) simply reload rather than rebuild). If Pitino can win 18 or 19 regular season games, I think he will have done well enough. If he wins enough to get to the NCAA tournament, he will have done a fabulous job - his best as coach.

I don't think you can say - "yeah, but wait until 2021" as an excuse to remove firing from consideration. If you do that, you are saying Pitino shouldn't be expected to have two or three consecutive "good" or even "decent" years in a row. Pitino needs to show he can have two reasonably successful years in a row; that's something he has yet to demonstrate. Besides, if this team has so much potential, there's no reason to believe that a new coach can't be more successful with this personnel as it matures.

Quote Originally Posted by cjbfbp View Post
    I think Pitino should have to make the NIT to be safe. There are 7 newcomers (counting the sit-out transfers) and a situation like that is always a challenge for most programs (of course, a small number of programs (e.g., Michigan State) simply reload rather than rebuild). If Pitino can win 18 or 19 regular season games, I think he will have done well enough. If he wins enough to get to the NCAA tournament, he will have done a fabulous job - his best as coach.

I don't think you can say - "yeah, but wait until 2021" as an excuse to remove firing from consideration. If you do that, you are saying Pitino shouldn't be expected to have two or three consecutive "good" or even "decent" years in a row. Pitino needs to show he can have two reasonably successful years in a row; that's something he has yet to demonstrate. Besides, if this team has so much potential, there's no reason to believe that a new coach can't be more successful with this personnel as it matures.
    This team should be a bubble team so winning 17-19 games shouldn't be an issue. These days though it's a thin line between Nit and NCAA, could be the difference between two wins depending the scenario and regular season champs that lose in March. PSU didn't make the NIT but had they beaten us twice they may have gotten in last year and we would've been an 8-12 team that got dummied on Thursday at the BTT and probably wouldn't have made the NIT. Point is, boys need to be competitive and quite frankly if Pitino recruits the state fairly well his seat will not be hot this year, that's just reality

Quote Originally Posted by bizzle22 View Post

How 'bout them Twins!
    I'm glad to see this step. We have a chance to see this kid develop, which is why I'm a season ticket holder. Our JUCO's have not been inspiring unless I've forgotten someone. But underrated frosh have been known to be a pleasant surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
    How 'bout them Twins!
    I'm glad to see this step. We have a chance to see this kid develop, which is why I'm a season ticket holder. Our JUCO's have not been inspiring unless I've forgotten someone. But underrated frosh have been known to be a pleasant surprise.
    Lil Dre was pretty solid. So was Bo by Jackson

This team should be a bubble team so winning 17-19 games shouldn't be an issue. These days though it's a thin line between Nit and NCAA, could be the difference between two wins depending the scenario and regular season champs that lose in March. PSU didn't make the NIT but had they beaten us twice they may have gotten in last year and we would've been an 8-12 team that got dummied on Thursday at the BTT and probably wouldn't have made the NIT. Point is, boys need to be competitive and quite frankly if Pitino recruits the state fairly well his seat will not be hot this year, that's just reality

I agree that if he pulls off an in-state recruiting coup that takes off a lot of pressure but he has a spotty record on that dimension. As far as being a bubble team, I don't know how anyone could know that yet with all of the new faces. We've got four freshmen and none of them are a sure thing. The three transfer newcomers are veterans of bad teams. The team could be good but that's not "money in the bank."

At what point do we run out of excuses for Richard? Good program lose guys to graduation and the NBA. It's time for him to be prepared.

How has this thread turned into a Pitino bitch session.
    I just saw Ja Morant be taken second in the NBA draft when no one knew about him going into college. I'm excited to see what Greenlee turns into. I think the ceiling is higher than people around here believe.

Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    I found it. My question was, "If the gophs dont make the tourney and Pitino isnt fired, will your opinion of Coyle be diminished." You replied it would. Anyway, I misremembered my question and apologize for misrepresenting your position.