Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default No Gophers in 2019 Draft

Good luck Amir!?

I think we all saw this coming. Sacramento, a team supposedly into Amir had the last pick and took a Euro stash. I think Murphy still plays NBA games next year. Guy can just play. Amir I donít know.

Coffey will probably get a 2-way deal. He worked out for like half the league so there is clearly a strong level of interest in him. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he plays in a few NBA games next year.

Murph could maybe play in the G-League if he wanted, but doubt he gets a 2-way deal. Got the token workouts from his hometown Spurs and college town Wolves, and only a couple other teams brought him in for workouts. Much less likely than Coffey to get some play in the NBA next year. Might be smarter for him to start making more money overseas instead of the $35k he'll get in the G-League. Love Murph, but there's not much of a path to a NBA roster for an undersized post player who can't shoot from the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by bizzle22 View Post
    Coffey will probably get a 2-way deal. He worked out for like half the league so there is clearly a strong level of interest in him. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he plays in a few NBA games next year.

Murph could maybe play in the G-League if he wanted, but doubt he gets a 2-way deal. Got the token workouts from his hometown Spurs and college town Wolves, and only a couple other teams brought him in for workouts. Much less likely than Coffey to get some play in the NBA next year. Might be smarter for him to start making more money overseas instead of the $35k he'll get in the G-League. Love Murph, but there's not much of a path to a NBA roster for an undersized post player who can't shoot from the outside.
    I predict Coffey will not play 1 minute of NBA basketball next year.
    "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala

Murphy is going to play with the T-wolves summer league team

I still think Coffey has realistic NBA potential, but he's got quite a bit of development to do. He plays some defense, and that helps his cause.

Looks like Tyler Cook and Amir Coffey got bad advice. They're now at best professional versions of preferred walkons

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

All the information pointed towards Amir not getting drafted. All the mocks I saw and read didn't have Amir in the top 100! Was it bad advice or blinders?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by abrams View Post
    All the information pointed towards Amir not getting drafted. All the mocks I saw and read didn't have Amir in the top 100! Was it bad advice or blinders?
    I don't think it was necessarily either.

Just kinda' got the vibe Amir had had enough of college basketball. Nothing wrong with that. It's his decision.

Quote Originally Posted by SelectionSunday View Post

Just kinda' got the vibe Amir had had enough of college basketball. Nothing wrong with that. It's his decision.
    Yep. With ongoing knee concerns there's a small window of time where he can make some $$$ playing basketball. Whether NBA or overseas- can't blame him at all.
    Please consider donating to this site; especially if you are a frequent poster.

Quote Originally Posted by bemidjigopher View Post
    Looks like Tyler Cook and Amir Coffey got bad advice. They're now at best professional versions of preferred walkons

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    +1000

Quote Originally Posted by SelectionSunday View Post

I think this is correct and is true for a lot of the players who declared early. I'd assume that his worst case is making $100k / year in China or something.

SS sounds spot on to me. He was ready for the next phase of his basketball career. Some kids love the whole college experience, the school, the coach the team and others are looking for something else. Amir will play for money somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by justthefacts View Post
    I think this is correct and is true for a lot of the players who declared early. I'd assume that his worst case is making $100k / year in China or something.
    For a coupe of years and then what? Hopefully he gets a two way contract shot at the NBA, maybe it is taking some time because he has a couple of teams wanting to sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by abrams View Post
    Probably neither. Probably just wanted to go pro and develop his game as a pro rather than as collegiate and take his game further than he could here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    SS sounds spot on to me. He was ready for the next phase of his basketball career. Some kids love the whole college experience, the school, the coach the team and others are looking for something else. Amir will play for money somewhere.
    Most like he will, but he had one more year to be the BMOC and get all the limelight of B1G honors and another run at the tourney. Now if he doesn't land on a NBA team, he will make a little bit of money for a few years most like living alone in a country he may not like. If you think it is tough living the life of a college athlete, then just think about uprooting yourself to a culture that is totally unknown and where you don't even speak the language. It can be very enlightening and enjoyable at times, but it can also be a grind.