CBS: 2019 Big Ten coaching rankings (#9. PJ Fleck, Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

9. MINNESOTA

P.J. Fleck: Fleck is one of the more polarizing coaches in the country. If you ask somebody for their opinion on him, odds are you won't just get a shoulder shrug or an "eh." People either love his enthusiasm, or they're annoyed by it. Wherever you land, it's hard to deny what he accomplished in four seasons at Western Michigan, going from 1-11 to 13-1 and an appearance in the Cotton Bowl. His first two seasons at Minnesota haven't been great, but it's hard to call them bad. The Gophers improved from five wins to seven in 2018, but are still only 5-12 in conference under Fleck. As the 2019 season approaches, the Big Ten West seems to be as wide open as ever, and it'll be interesting to see if Fleck's Gophers can make any significant noise.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ban-meyers-spot-at-the-top-of-the-conference/

Go Gophers!!

We're ahead of Ohio St....

Anyway PSU is #1 in this ranking, while they're dropping croots left and right.

We're ahead of Ohio St....

Anyway PSU is #1 in this ranking, while they're dropping croots left and right.

I don't ever quite understand all the hype/love that PSU gets.

Tough to argue with their top 5 although putting Franklin 1 might be a bit of a stretch. Chryst at 6 makes some sense and then I would view 7-9 (Frost, Brohm, Fleck) as pretty interchangeable. Whichever one can get his team over the hump first will jump ahead of the other two.

Thanks for posting this; it was really thought-provoking (for me at least).

It was a bit of an eye-opener for me, in a "Wow! There are a lot of really solid football coaches in the B1G!" kind of way. When you look at the list, one by one, it really hits you. And this is after the departure of a Hall of Fame-level coach in the person of Urban Meyer!

The other thing that struck me is: Wisconsin is a program that has become sort of 'self-perpetuating'. I mean, how many coaches has Wisconsin had since Alvarez quit coaching and moved upstairs? Yet they seem to always maintain their level of success, more or less.

Dantonio, Ferentz, and Fitz have done more with less compared to Franklin and Harbaugh. Chryst is a likable guy but I sense a Ferentz style love-hate relationship forming with the fans after their gross underperformance last year and now a rebuilding season that has the real potential to go sideways.

Too early to judge the newer coaches although Brohm took an early lead over Frost and Fleck national perception wise. Day could be good, could be bad, really hard to say. The list of assistants that flame out as the head man is long and distinguished.

The bottom three are hard to argue with.

CBS Sports.
I knew it wasn’t ESPN when Harbaugh didn’t appear at #1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny how this is basically a regurgitation of last season's standings with the exception of OSU. Most B1G rankings of things, even stuff like uniforms and mascots and campuses, end up looking suspiciously like the standings.

Top Bottom