Media Prediction Thread: Minnesota at Purdue

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Hammer and Rails is first out of the gate with a very early game prediction:

Game Outlook

Minnesota has won five of the last six against us and seven of the last 10. A large reason for that is Hazell and Hope, but when both teams have been relatively close in the Big Ten over that time it can be a big deal. Purdue lost in Minneapolis in 2009 and finished 5-7, missing a bowl. Minnesota lost in West Lafayette in 2017 and finished 5-7.

I expect this to be another tight game with the potential to be a shootout. The Gophers are going to have a very strong running game this year. It will be almost Wisconsin-esque because of the stable of backs they have, and with two good receivers on the outside they don’t need a ton from the quarterback position. They merely need consistency.

Can Purdue at least slow down the run? Will Elijah Sindelar have a great game against a questionable secondary? This is one of those early season games where the winner takes the role of “Big Ten West Dark Horse”.

Way-too-Early Prediction

I think we’ll see points. By this point we will have answers about Purdue’s biggest questions on the offensive line. That can lead to a couple of good offenses trading drives a bit like Missouri last year. Since we’re at home I’ll go ahead and pick us, but I would pick the Gophers in Minneapolis.Purdue 38, Minnesota 35

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2019/6/13/18677787/purdue-minnesota-football-preview-brohm-fleck

Go Gophers!!

Can't blame them, we probabbly pick them as a W every year, and they us.

So, are they choosing to ignore last year's game in Minneapolis, or forgetting?

I actually see this as a fairly accurate prediction of what the game will be like. Of course, I pick us to win in a close one.

Bumping this thread that was initially started in June with the original game prediction.

Go Gophers!!

Bumping this thread that was initially started in June with the original game prediction.

Go Gophers!!

Yeah, I remember that. This was a cut and paste, no doubt. The Gophers did have a good running game back in June though.

hammer and rails has something in common with the June 2020 version of me: They thought the Gopher run game would be very good this year too. Oh how times have changed, fast.

Well, Hammer and Rails was correct at the time, considering when it was written. The Gopher run game never struggled until this season.

We're only three games in. Things can change.

Wasn't Fresno State the "consensus pick" at Buckeyes Wire too?

hammer and rails has something in common with the June 2020 version of me: They thought the Gopher run game would be very good this year too. Oh how times have changed, fast.

Are you a time-traveler?

How do you know this?

June 2020, June 2030... it doesn't matter. I will always feel the Gophers should have, or should have had a great running game this season. :)

Bill Connelly is taking the Gophers to edge Purdue.

Our friends at The Daily Gopher are of course taking the Gophers, 30-24
I think Minnesota is well equipped to keep pace on offense and hold serve on defense. It will be a big game for the Gophers’ offensive line, and I think they come to play. But it will be a close game, because of course.

College Football News is taking Minnesota to win 34-30
Minnesota will be a +2 in turnover margin and will bend but not break just enough defensively to survive a fun game that goes down to the final drive.

MLive is taking Minnesota, 30-23
Minnesota rolled to a 41-10 matchup in this win last year, and Purdue's defense just allowed 346 rushing yards to TCU. Hard to fix that completely over the bye week.

Scarlet and Game (Fansided) is taking Purdue, 38-35
I am not sold on Elijah Sindelar, but he definitely gives the Boilermakers their best chance to win games. If he’s out again, Minnesota will win. If he’s back, Boilermakers win.

The Omaha World Herald is taking Purdue, 31-28
The Gophers are better positioned this year to make a run at the Big Ten West. The schedule is there and the defense has some seasoning. It’s a bigger game for them in those terms, but Purdue needs every home win it can get after the Nevada choke. It’s more urgent on Brohm’s sideline. It comes down to whether Sindelar plays. I think he will, and Purdue pulls one out.

At The Off Tackle Empire (SB Nation) 12 are picking Minnesota, seven are taking Purdue.

I don't understand how so many can pick Purdue when they don't know if Sindelar is going to play or not.

I don't understand how so many can pick Purdue when they don't know if Sindelar is going to play or not.

well I don't think they get the option of picking if he plays or doesn't, so it seems they're predicting he will and that purdue will win in this case. That's the joy of being a picker rather than a bettor

We have not exactly played like world beaters so even without Sindelar they may feel Purdue has a shot at home. Nearly every score prediction I have seen for the game is within a few points one way or the other so even those picking Purdue are only doing so by a very slight margin. Same goes for the people picking us.

It's hard to win on the road in the B1G, doesn't matter where.

I'll be delighted with ANY win, no matter how.

well I don't think they get the option of picking if he plays or doesn't, so it seems they're predicting he will and that purdue will win in this case. That's the joy of being a picker rather than a bettor

I know but the way I look at it is the game about a toss up if Sindelar plays (50-50) and it's about 50-50 if he plays or not. Therefore Minnesota has about a 75% chance to win based on the information we have. Therefore it would make more sense to pick Minnesota.

The Omaha World Herald is taking Purdue, 31-28
The Gophers are better positioned this year to make a run at the Big Ten West. The schedule is there and the defense has some seasoning. It’s a bigger game for them in those terms, but Purdue needs every home win it can get after the Nevada choke. It’s more urgent on Brohm’s sideline. It comes down to whether Sindelar plays. I think he will, and Purdue pulls one out.

At The Off Tackle Empire (SB Nation) 12 are picking Minnesota, seven are taking Purdue.

Pretty fair minded review but it's a pretty important game for our side as well. Sure, the schedule gives us a better chance of being bowl eligible this year than last year even without this game but our fans want more than that.

Top Bottom