Which Reciever not named Tyler Johnson will lead the Gophers in 2019?

What Receiver not named Tyler will lead the Gophers in 2019?

• Chris Autman-Bell R-SO

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Jornell Brooks R-FR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Erik Gibson R-FR

• Rashod Bateman SO

Votes: 55 91.7%
  • Seth Green R-JR

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • True Thompson R-JR

• Brock Annexstad R-SO

• Demetrius Douglas R-SO

• Harry Van Dyne R-SO

• Nnamdi Adim-Madumere FR

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rescooter

Section 243
Reaction score
This is Receiving Yards. Who will be the heir apparent?

Last edited:

*Heir apparent

Be shocked if its not Bateman. In fact, I think there is an outside chance that Bateman leads the team outright (Johnson seeing a lot double teams and injury risk, Bateman improving).

*Heir apparent

Be shocked if its not Bateman. In fact, I think there is an outside chance that Bateman leads the team outright (Johnson seeing a lot double teams and injury risk, Bateman improving).

I expect / hope the same.

My vote is for Rashod Bateman, but I am equally as excited to see how much Chris Autman-Bell has improved and what he can do this year.

Bateman. Honestly, I think he has more long term potential than Johnson, and may have the better stats this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If healthy I really don't see anyway this isn't Bateman. CAB could possibly end up with more receptions but in terms of yards it will almost certainly be Batemen.

As someone else mentioned I would also not be shocked to see Bateman lead the team in receiving yards. Opposing defenses will focus a lot of attention on TJ and with more experienced QBs under center they might be able to exploit that by going to Bateman who will most likely draw the teams second best cover man while the best goes to TJ.

Would guess Bateman for yards, catches and TDs but could see CAB grab possibly catches or TDs

If healthy I really don't see anyway this isn't Bateman. CAB could possibly end up with more receptions but in terms of yards it will almost certainly be Batemen.

As someone else mentioned I would also not be shocked to see Bateman lead the team in receiving yards. Opposing defenses will focus a lot of attention on TJ and with more experienced QBs under center they might be able to exploit that by going to Bateman who will most likely draw the teams second best cover man while the best goes to TJ.

I wouldn't be surprised to see CAB or Demetrius Douglas lead with receptions with my money on CAB because I think the defenses will key on Bateman and Johnson. With that said, both Johnson have shown they can beat double teams so...

I also won't be surprised to see our OC develop plays like reverses and end arounds to get the ball in Douglas's and Bateman's hands in other ways.

It occurs to me that when you don't have any great WRs .... you know it.

When you have some very good WRs, it is kinda hard to know who is very good if only because they've got space to work because of the other guy(s).

When you have some very good WRs, it is kinda hard to know who is very good if only because they've got space to work because of the other guy(s).

I think eventually it all works itself out. If Bateman starts lighting things up due to double coverage on TJ, teams will have to stop focusing on TJ so much. Then TJ will get his fair share of yards and catches. It also could mean CAB (a very good receiver himself) gets a lot of opportunities.

I will take a stable of very good receivers over a couple great ones.

The only way it’s not Bateman is because of injury. CAB is good but he’s not on that level. He’s more of a 3-4 catch/game player in my opinion. Has Douglas ever have more than 2 catches in a game yet?

*Heir apparent

I know this is Gopherhole and “Minnesotan,” but why do you assume injury risk?

I wouldn't be surprised to see CAB or Demetrius Douglas lead with receptions with my money on CAB because I think the defenses will key on Bateman and Johnson. With that said, both Johnson have shown they can beat double teams so...

I also won't be surprised to see our OC develop plays like reverses and end arounds to get the ball in Douglas's and Bateman's hands in other ways.

I would be totally surprised.

Last edited:

I will take a stable of very good receivers over a couple great ones.

I know what you’re sayin, but I’d take two “great” receivers and with the rest of the corps being merely “mediocre” than have a stable of “good” ones.

Has to be Bateman and like others wouldn’t be that surprised if he explodes this season. Many of you remember the “three deep” WR corps of the 98 Vikings. Veterans Carter, Reed, rookie Moss. The emergence of Moss quieted Reed’s career ((1000 yards seasons prior to Moss’ arrival) as there were only so many balls to go around. Who can forget Leroy Hoard playing the goal line back role and doing some catching out of the backfield, Cunningham’s beautiful deep balls, Robert Smith enjoying his time to shine.

I hope the marketing department plays up the special skill player unit this team has. Will it be as elite as the 98 Vikes? I don’t think we have a Randall Cunningham or a Robert Smith but the potential is there to be really, really good with the three (or four) headed TJ, Bateman, Autman-Bell, and Douglas, Seth Green doing his Leroy Hoard thing, and some seriously talented RBs. Seems like wall poster and T-shirt material to me.

I know what you’re sayin, but I’d take two “great” receivers and with the rest of the corps being merely “mediocre” than have a stable of “good” ones.

Very good, not just good. The last couple seasons at RB kind of demonstrates my take. The Mase a pair and two spares concept. Plus it gives the option to put three/four out in formation and create mismatches and open receivers if they choose to double the #1.

Top Bottom