Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

People always want to be the first to "see thru" the coach and predict he'll fail. It must be some trait in human nature. When the wins aren't coming, or the excuses don't seem to add up, others join in. Winning cures all. The "haters" on this board will love Fleck if he delivers the goods. Pompous will probably even begin to worship him. Spoofin will get a tattoo. That's just the nature of the bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    People always want to be the first to "see thru" the coach and predict he'll fail. It must be some trait in human nature. When the wins aren't coming, or the excuses don't seem to add up, others join in. Winning cures all. The "haters" on this board will love Fleck if he delivers the goods. Pompous will probably even begin to worship him. Spoofin will get a tattoo. That's just the nature of the bandwagon.
    Generally humans use a lot of visual and stylistic stuff to determine what to belive / like (provided they already haven't decided). PJ's a bit different and generally in MN folks don't like the music man type personalities / find them off putting.

But really style aside PJ isn't that different from any other coach.

I donít predict failure and donít want failure. In fact, I predict success for PJ and couldnít be happier with the direction of the team. Few will be happier than me if we have wild success.

There is nothing winning ďwill cureĒ for me. I donít and likely never will like PJ. But I also realize that doesnít matter to anyone who matters. Seems to matter to a few on this board, but that is it. Big separation between not liking someone and wanting them to fail - at least for this ďfanĒ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Consensus Top 25 Class, 4 of final 5, 80% underclassmen, Youngest Team, 2nd Youngest Team, Best Back-To-Back Classes Ever, 9 Scholarship Seniors, HS Teacher, 8-Hour Radius, Major Paycut

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    I don’t predict failure and don’t want failure. In fact, I predict success for PJ and couldn’t be happier with the direction of the team. Few will be happier than me if we have wild success.

There is nothing winning “will cure” for me. I don’t and likely never will like PJ. But I also realize that doesn’t matter to anyone who matters. Seems to matter to a few on this board, but that is it. Big separation between not liking someone and wanting them to fail - at least for this “fan”.

I didn't say you did or do. What I said is that you'll get a PJ tattoo, i.e. become a huge fan. I doubt you are so stubborn that you'll hold a grudge against the leader of your favorite team making a playoff appearance because you think he's too flashy. You'll be like the grumpy townees in Hoosiers.

I love PJ.
    "Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"

Has pretty much zero to do with being “flashy” and more with the substance or lack thereof of things coming out of his mouth at times.

Every coach has traits some won’t or don’t like. Mason had a wandering eye and was surly at times. Brew was incompetent, Kill was old fashioned and aw shucks, Claeys was reserved and obese. PJ is a storyteller and a fibber. So what? I agree if he wins the vast majority will like him more. If he’s fired....or leaves...not as much.
    Last edited by Pompous Elitist; 06-14-2019 at 02:57 PM.

This may be a bad analogy, but -

Liking Fleck more if the team wins is IMHO, comparable to liking a not-so-hot woman more if she has a lot of money.

You either like someone or you don't. The Gophers could win a National Title, and my feelings about Fleck's personality would not change.

Because my feelings about his personality are separate from my evaluation of him as a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    This may be a bad analogy, but -

Liking Fleck more if the team wins is IMHO, comparable to liking a not-so-hot woman more if she has a lot of money.

You either like someone or you don't. The Gophers could win a National Title, and my feelings about Fleck's personality would not change.

Because my feelings about his personality are separate from my evaluation of him as a coach.
    It's not a bad analogy; it's spot on. I feel the same.

I don't buy rah-rah... not from anybody. I never have. It's not because I'm too smart for it or because I'm too sophisticated for it; I'm neither of those things. I don't respond to it because I'm simply not built that way. However, I recognize that many people do, in fact, respond very well to that sort of thing. This team seems to be a prime example of a group of people who buy in to this sort of motivation.

In the end, I want only one thing: I want the maroon and gold to return to glory days. I do not believe that wishing for that outcome is a pipe dream, some pie in the sky fantasy. I firmly believe that with the right people at the helm it is an achievable, realistic goal.

This guy (Fleck) seems to think so, too. THAT is what I like best about him. P.J. Fleck appears to be building something here in Minnesota.

I'm all in.
    Last edited by RememberMurray; 06-14-2019 at 08:03 PM.
    --------------

"7 National Titles...

... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post
    You're right.

The media has to write something, almost every day. They can't delve into Xs and Os all the time. The 'human interest' stuff, discussing the personalities of the people involved, is fair game.

As far as 'grumpy' coaches go: yeah, Zimmer is kinda crabby. And how about...Bill Belichick, the KING of grumpy?

'Weird' coaches: Lou Holtz comes to mind. Mike Ditka might qualify as grumpy and weird. Is Jim Harbaugh weird?

Low-personality types: Hmmmm... Nick Saban? Mark Dantonio? Kirk Ferentz? Bud Grant?

It goes on and on. Bottom line: if a coach wins, these personality traits are suddenly seen as 'endearing', and part of his legend.
    Grumpy= Jerry Burns

Love the guy

Grantland Rice wrote, "Eleven Nagurskis [on a team] ... would be something close to murder and massacre."

I didn't say you did or do. What I said is that you'll get a PJ tattoo, i.e. become a huge fan. I doubt you are so stubborn that you'll hold a grudge against the leader of your favorite team making a playoff appearance because you think he's too flashy. You'll be like the grumpy townees in Hoosiers.
    Flashy has nothing to do with it.
    Iíll always be a huge fan of the Gophers.
    If we make a playoff appearance I will think he is the greatest coach ever, and continue to be glad he is our coach. I still wonít like him.

Consensus Top 25 Class, 4 of final 5, 80% underclassmen, Youngest Team, 2nd Youngest Team, Best Back-To-Back Classes Ever, 9 Scholarship Seniors, HS Teacher, 8-Hour Radius, Major Paycut

Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post
    "You want to look for the box that P.J. Fleck arrived in. You want to stuff him back into it, throw a label on and return to sender. Maybe drop it a few times on the way to the mail."

Ummmm... actually, no. Sorry to contradict, but, no. No, I do not want to do any of those things.

Perhaps you were addressing someone else. Who is this "you" you keep referring to, pray tell? Because it ain't ME.
    Itís an open letter to those in the Twin Cities media.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    Has pretty much zero to do with being “flashy” and more with the substance or lack thereof of things coming out of his mouth at times.

Every coach has traits some won’t or don’t like. Mason had a wandering eye and was surly at times. Brew was incompetent, Kill was old fashioned and aw shucks, Claeys was reserved and obese. PJ is a storyteller and a fibber. So what? I agree if he wins the vast majority will like him more. If he’s fired....or leaves...not as much.
    Your moniker couldn’t be more appropriate. What you are saying is you’d like someone that looks and acts just like you. Sounds boring.

Nope, have said many times love PJ’s energy and enthusiasm. Hate some things he says and his need to exaggerate. It’s not a crime but it bothers me as it does in my professional and personal life. I don’t like having to truth check my family, friends, colleagues, business associates. Has nothing to do with “wanting someone like me” or someone that isn’t “flashy”. You guys seem to be listening but not hearing. It’s fine, human nature, yada yada.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    If we make a playoff appearance I will think he is the greatest coach ever, and continue to be glad he is our coach. I still won’t like him.
    See, I find that such immature thinking. Declaring that you will "always like" something or "never like" something is what little kids do. Mature and intelligent people have flexible minds and are open to altering their views on someone or something, for better or for worse, as circumstances change.

Default The Gazette: You keep finding reasons not to like Minnesota's P.J. Fleck

Quote Originally Posted by Urbandale View Post
    See, I find that such immature thinking. Declaring that you will "always like" something or "never like" something is what little kids do. Mature and intelligent people have flexible minds and are open to altering their views on someone or something, for better or for worse, as circumstances change.
    So it would be more mature to start liking PJ because he has success on the field? I donít like PJ because of how he conducts himself. Unless that changes, my feelings about him wonít either. Seems pretty mature to me.
    Last edited by Spoofin; 06-15-2019 at 12:40 PM.