Rank the Gopher 2019 Schedule in order of difficulty

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
The discussion about South Dakota State got me thinking... I'm sure there are differences among us in terms of our opinions on what we think are the tough, middling, and easy games on the Gopher schedule. With that in mind, for fun, lets see your rankings here from most difficult to easiest game. I'll start (of course) -

1. Iowa
2. Nebraska
3. Penn State
4. Wisconsin
5. Maryland
6. Northwestern
7. Purdue
8. Fresno State
9. Illinois
10. Georgia Southern
11. South Dakota State
12. Rutgers

The good news is I wouldn't be shocked at a win over any team on this list. The bad news is there are only a couple to 4 teams on the list that I would be shocked to lose to.

It is seriously hard.

I'm going to go with a preseason "we have no idea what is going to happen" list of:

Wisconsin
Penn State
Iowa
Nebraska
Northwestern
Maryland
Purdue
Fresno State
Illinois
Rutgers
G Southern
South Dakota State

A lot of these depend on what talent I think they have and when / where we play them...and for all intents and purposes there are really just three groups of "good teams", "not sure but could be good teams" and "probabbly should beat".

But I agree there are only a few teams who I would be surprised to loose to. Everyone else is "any given Saturday".

Last edited:

Wisconsin
Penn State
Iowa
Nebraska
Northwestern
Maryland
Purdue
Fresno State
Illinois
Rutgers
G Southern
South Dakota State

This is more closer to my thoughts. I think the wisco game will be the hardest because it is our biggest rival and also they will be 'up' for that game to take the axe back after that drubbing we put on them last year.

You guys are not paying attention!

1. GSU

2. GSU

3. GSU

4. GSU

5. GSU

6. GSU

7. GSU

8. GSU

9. GSU

10. GSU

11. SDSU

12. A ten way tie for twelfth.

:p

1. GSU

2. GSU

3. GSU

4. GSU

5. GSU

6. GSU

7. GSU

8. GSU

9. GSU

10. GSU

11. SDSU

12. A ten way tie for twelth.

:p

ji3rn9k.gif

Same as slab of bacon, although 4-7 to me are all interchangeable.

Wisconsin
Penn State
Iowa
Nebraska
Northwestern
Maryland
Purdue
Fresno State
Illinois
Rutgers
G Southern
South Dakota State

Can we just sit winfield for the Maryland game?

Iowa - it's on the road and we haven't won there in a while
Wisconsin - #2 because we get them at home
Northwestern - they were the West champs last year and it's on the road
Penn St - they lose a lot and we get them at home
Nebraska
Maryland - they are maybe higher than they should be since we have struggled mightily with them
Purdue
Fresno St
Illinois
Rutgers
G Southern
SDSU

Nebraska
Maryland - they are maybe higher than they should be since we have struggled mightily with them
Purdue
Fresno St
Illinois
Rutgers
G Southern
SDSU

Pretty much my thoughts...might flip the bottom two.

The discussion about South Dakota State got me thinking... I'm sure there are differences among us in terms of our opinions on what we think are the tough, middling, and easy games on the Gopher schedule. With that in mind, for fun, lets see your rankings here from most difficult to easiest game. I'll start (of course) -

1. Iowa
2. Nebraska
3. Penn State
4. Wisconsin
5. Maryland
6. Northwestern
7. Purdue
8. Fresno State
9. Illinois
10. Georgia Southern
11. South Dakota State
12. Rutgers

The good news is I wouldn't be shocked at a win over any team on this list. The bad news is there are only a couple to 4 teams on the list that I would be shocked to lose to.

You can make a pretty good case for winning any one of these games. I do not think we have seen that in Gopherland in a very long time. We have a good shot against anyone! However, you are right - we could easily lose to most of these teams any given weekend too. Realistically, we will fall somewhere in between. Your list is about right but I think the toughest win on the schedule will be Nebraska. They have even more buzz right now than the Gophers and they are my pick to win the West this year.

Wisconsin
Nebraska
Penn State
Northwestern
Purdue
Iowa
Maryland
Illinois
Rutgers
South Dakota State
Fresno State
G Southern

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like categories:

Yawn, who are we playing this week?: Projected outcome 3-0
1. Georgia Southern
2. South Dakota State - Only harder than GSU because more motivation for SDSU to beat Minny.
3. Rutgers - It's homecoming for Rutgers and they picked us! What better bulletin board material do you need when your as creative as PJ?

We win this game Definitely! Maybe: Projected outcome 3-0
4. Fresno State - It's on the road and they were pretty good last year.
5. Illinois
6. Purdue

We will definitely be favored: Projected outcome 1-1
7. Maryland - Home game? I wouldn't be shocked at all if we lose though.
8. Nebraska - This is almost a 50-50 game to me but I'll go Gophers by 3.

These games will let us know if we have a chance at the B1G West: Projected outcome 2-2
9. Penn State - The Govna's cup could be huge if both teams start well.
10. Wisconsin - Even at home, this will be emotional and difficult. Hoping for 2 in a row.
11. Northwestern - Playing in Evanston is tough to get up for, not a lot to build on if we aren't close in the standings for this game.
12. Iowa - Floyd! Waving at the sick kids, driving through the corn, the pink bathrooms, lots of intrigue and a pretty good Hawkeyes team at home.

Game we have no chance in:
N/A

This is the year! PJ has his best chance yet to move to the top of the B1G West! No OSU, Michigan or Michigan State and catching PSU a little down.

Projected record 9-3

Frankly, I'll be a little disappointed if we finish with anything less than 10-2.

Last edited:

1)@ Iowa
2)@Northwestern
3)PSU
4) Wisconsin rivalry game, they'll have an extra edge to them after last year
5) Maryland we have weird mental herdle we need to clear with this one.
6) Nebraska, overrated, greatest 4-8 team of all time
7) @Purdue
8) SDSU
9) @Fresno
10) GSU
11) Illini
12) @Rutgers

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1. @Northwestern - they always seem to have our number
2. @Iowa - Iowa on the road
3. Wisconsin - still Wisconsin
4. Penn State - helmet school at home is a good chance to make some noise
5. @Purdue - up and coming team on the road
6. Nebraska - overrated IMO
7. @Fresno State - down from last year, but on the West Coast. Hopefully the guys can stay hydrated.
8. Maryland - hardest one to place for me, but I think we remedy the past few years and win big
9. Illinois - revenge game
10. @Rutgers - dumpster fire
11. South Dakota State - South Dakota. What more do I need to say?
12. Georgia Directional - this is mostly because of the GSU troll, otherwise Rutgers might be here with GSU in 11th.

1. Nebraska
2. Iowa
3. Maryland (they have talent)
4. Penn State
5. Wisconsin
6. Northwestern
7. Purdue
8. Fresno State
9. Illinois
10. Georgia Southern
11. South Dakota State
12. Rutgers

1. Penn State. Not going to underestimate James Franklin's squad. Never a losing season and his teams have had consective good years.
2. Iowa. Not unbeatable but Iowa seems to have some real good luck at home. Considering we broke the streak last year with Wisconsin, though, I would rank it a bit lower.
3. Wisconsin. They could certainly have a bounce-back type of year, but we do get a nice shot with the game at home.
4. Northwestern. Pat's teams are odd in that they have highs and lows. 2012 10-3 with a bowl win, then two consecutive losing seasons. 2015 back up to 10-3 then 2016 they go 7-6. They've been on a good streak lately though and have to give credit as defending division champs. However, Northwestern I always see as a game that can go either way.
5. Fresno State. I know the term doesn't really apply technically anymore, but these guys could definitely be some BCS-Busters, especially at home. They only lost two close games last year, one to us. Then they fairly convincingly beat ASU in a bowl game. Can't overlook this one.
6. Nebraska. I figure the Huskers will be improved for sure this time around, how much is the question. Could be a close match-up, but I think the Gophers can still pull ahead.
7. Purdue. Honestly Nebraska and Purdue are pretty interchangable. Certainly have to watchout for Purdue's offense but I still see a win on the table here.
8. Maryland. Gave us trouble last year but it was before we found our footing. This will be at home so the difficulty is somewhat less.
9. Illinois. Past decade, Illinois would win one, and MN then won the next three games, soooo, yeah, I'm expecting to win against Illinois the next three years. Of course it will depend on if Smith can ever get a good team consistently together.
10. Rutgers. Yes they're Rutgers but they're a Power 5 team and they even made it close against us back in 2016.
11. SD State. If this was 2012, after the 2007-2011 years, I'd be more concerned. However, since 2012, we've done pretty well against FCS teams and Group of 5 in general. Certainly could be more of a challenge since it's a smaller school looking to take down the regional big school, but still expecting something not as difficult.
12. Georgia Southern. After watching the way the defense swarmed against the Georgia Tech option attack in the bowl, I'm fairly confident here.

Last edited:

Nebraska
Purdue
Fresno St
Illinois
Rutgers
G Southern
SDSU

Same as this except flip Nebraska and PSU and then move Rutgers to the bottom.

Same as this except flip Nebraska and PSU and then move Rutgers to the bottom.

You think playing at Rutgers is an easier game than South Dakota St or Georgia Southern at home?

Road games are typically difficult, Northwestern and Iowa should probably be 1 and 2.

1. @Northwestern - they always seem to have our number
2. @Iowa - Iowa on the road
3. Wisconsin - still Wisconsin
4. Penn State - helmet school at home is a good chance to make some noise
5. @Purdue - up and coming team on the road
6. Nebraska - overrated IMO
7. @Fresno State - down from last year, but on the West Coast. Hopefully the guys can stay hydrated.
8. Maryland - hardest one to place for me, but I think we remedy the past few years and win big
9. Illinois - revenge game
10. @Rutgers - dumpster fire
11. South Dakota State - South Dakota. What more do I need to say?
12. Georgia Directional - this is mostly because of the GSU troll, otherwise Rutgers might be here with GSU in 11th.

EEE-GADS Super Gopher! You put GSU last because of me? I must be doing a good job for you to sell GSU this short of a victory over the Gophers.:cool:

1. GSU
2. GSU
3. GSU
4. GSU
5. GSU
6. GSU
7. GSU
8. GSU
9. GSU
10. GSU
11. SDSU
12. A ten way tie for twelfth.

I know this is in jest STP, but I fear that many a hard core Gopher may put a target on your back for the post above! :cool:

1. Iowa
2. Nebraska
3. Penn State
4. Wisconsin
5. Maryland
6. Northwestern
7. Purdue
8. Fresno State
9. Illinois
10. Georgia Southern
11. South Dakota State
12. Rutgers

GSU should be #6 or #7 on your list.

I've been pounding this drum for awhile so you all already know what I'm going to say but here's mine:

Games I don't expect the Gophers to win:
Wisconsin
Iowa
Penn State

Tossups:
Fresno
Purdue
Northwestern

Games I expect the Gophers to win:
Nebraska
Maryland

Games where if the Gophers lose, I'll be upset:
Whatever Georgia team we're playing
SDSU
Illinois
Rutgers

I would mostly agree w/ your raking but would move Fresno up and Maryland down a bit. I am concern that Fresno is a trap game. I'm over the top optimistic otherwise with Iowa being our first loss of the season.

Penn State
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Iowa
Purdue
Maryland
Illinois
Rutgers
South Dakota State
Fresno State
G Southern