SDSU ranked #5, five AllAmericans

swingman

Reaction score
https://brookingsregister.com/article/five-jackrabbits-honored-by-hero-sports

Cade Johnson, a junior from Papillion, Nebraska, set an SDSU and Missouri Valley Football Conference single-season record with 17 touchdown receptions in 2018 en route to receiving All-America accolades from both HERO Sports (second team) and STATS (third team). He also led the team with 67 receptions and 1,332 receiving yards in topping the 100-yard mark in six games.

Pierre Strong burst onto the scene in the second half of the 2018 season, earning Missouri Valley Newcomer of the Year honors after rushing for team highs of 1,116 yards and 11 touchdowns. The sophomore from Little Rock, Arkansas, needed only 100 carries to reach the 1,000-yard plateau and ended up averaging 9.5 yards per carry for the season as he posted 100-plus yards in five of the team’s final six games.

On defense, senior linebacker Christian Rozeboom also was a first-team selection. The Sioux Center, Iowa, native posted his third consecutive 100-tackle season with a team-best 105 stops in 2018. He also recorded a team-best 10.5 tackles for loss, adding three forced fumbles and two interceptions while receiving third-team All-America recognition from both HERO Sports and Phil Steele.

Both of the Jackrabbits’ second-team honorees are members of the special teams unit – senior kicker Chase Vinatieri and junior long snapper Bradey Sorenson.

This is the kind of game that Gopher teams of the past would struggle in and probably win, but do so in a way that would make me frustrated and nervous. If this game is closer than two touchdowns at any point of the fourth quarter I will start to question all my off season optimism. If the Gophers are truly contenders to win the B1G West, this should be a comparably easy game. If it isn't an easy game, I will also question the "dark horse" or "contender" status of the Gophers in the West.

We should win this game by more than two touchdowns. They have a too five FCS team. I would say they would be top 75-80 range in FBS. probably similar to what GSU and next year's version of Fresno will be. We should win fairly comfortably, but combine the talent, the motivation they'll have to play a school that said no thanks to alot of their guys. The neutral site like crowd that'll be there, I think this game is closer than we think

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Going by Sagarin results from the end of last year, the Gophers would be a 7-point favorite. That sounds about right. I think SDSU will be better than either Fresno St. or GSU, and I'll be happy with a win of any quality.

Going by Sagarin results from the end of last year, the Gophers would be a 7-point favorite. That sounds about right. I think SDSU will be better than either Fresno St. or GSU, and I'll be happy with a win of any quality.

I'm surprised by that. Sagarin factors in strength of competition? Admittedly looking for education here. If we're playing SDSU at home and are only a 7 point favorite, that means we would be a 3ish point fav playing away? Suggesting that SDSU would be a FAVORITE against some big 10 teams this year? Home or awary.

FCS must be quite a bit better than I give them credit for.

This is the kind of game that Gopher teams of the past would struggle in and probably win, but do so in a way that would make me frustrated and nervous. If this game is closer than two touchdowns at any point of the fourth quarter I will start to question all my off season optimism. If the Gophers are truly contenders to win the B1G West, this should be a comparably easy game. If it isn't an easy game, I will also question the "dark horse" or "contender" status of the Gophers in the West.

Solid post, captured my thoughts.

Fresno was arguably our best win last year ... weird how that plays out.

Are you saying you would be worried about the potential of our season if we lost to SDSU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We should win this game by more than two touchdowns. They have a too five FCS team. I would say they would be top 75-80 range in FBS. probably similar to what GSU and next year's version of Fresno will be. We should win fairly comfortably, but combine the talent, the motivation they'll have to play a school that said no thanks to alot of their guys. The neutral site like crowd that'll be there, I think this game is closer than we think

Yes. Those factors can make a big difference, and while I would like to see them win comfortably, it will not be an expectation of mine. They are not far off from NDSU's level, and that has given many FBS teams trouble.

This assessment isn't fair.

SDSU is a legit top 5 team in the FCS -- which yes of course, is minor leagues compared to the Big Ten.

But, if you take a look at top 5 FCS teams playing P5 teams, I would be interested to see the average results. I doubt they're all blowouts, and wouldn't be surprised to see some close games.

It's a no win for the Gophers. Win, and you were supposed to, lose, and the sky just fell on your head.

It's a no win for the Gophers. Win, and you were supposed to, lose, and the sky just fell on your head.

Disagree. Win and you only need 5 more for bowl eligibility.

(we still have to think in those terms, right?)

This assessment isn't fair.

SDSU is a legit top 5 team in the FCS -- which yes of course, is minor leagues compared to the Big Ten.

But, if you take a look at top 5 FCS teams playing P5 teams, I would be interested to see the average results. I doubt they're all blowouts, and wouldn't be surprised to see some close games.

I won't rag on the squad if it's close, unlike the SEC teams at least we and teams like Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State have the stones to play the Dakota schools instead of the Citadel or Bethune Cookman or Savannah State

I know what you mean, but there have been plenty of division winning Badger and Hawkeye teams that struggled to put away 1AA teams in the past decade or so. It would be awesome if we came out of the gate as a juggernaut, but not the end of the world if it takes us a month to find our game. Big Ten Wins!!

I have a vivid memory of a dome game against some relative nobody and we won in OT and there were cheers but mostly "finally that is over".... and then disappointment.

One of those games where neither team is happy.

Two different levels here.

On one level, a win is a win.

but, on another level, if the Gophers squeak out a win over an FCS team, or don't look good, that impacts perception of the team locally and nationally. It allows the fence-sitters and second-guessers to start the "same old Gophers" routine. And won't help sell tickets.

This is a game the Gophers NEED to win big. I am normally not in favor of running up the score, or appearing to run up the score, but in terms of perception, I would rather see the Gophers win this game by 40+ points as opposed to winning by 7 or less.

I know what you mean, but there have been plenty of division winning Badger and Hawkeye teams that struggled to put away 1AA teams in the past decade or so. It would be awesome if we came out of the gate as a juggernaut, but not the end of the world if it takes us a month to find our game. Big Ten Wins!!

I watched SDSU last year. This could be our toughest non conference game. We need to stay injury free during the summer and fall camps. I am sure PJ and his staff as well as the Seniors will create the right approach to this game.

Two different levels here.

On one level, a win is a win.

but, on another level, if the Gophers squeak out a win over an FCS team, or don't look good, that impacts perception of the team locally and nationally. It allows the fence-sitters and second-guessers to start the "same old Gophers" routine. And won't help sell tickets.

This is a game the Gophers NEED to win big. I am normally not in favor of running up the score, or appearing to run up the score, but in terms of perception, I would rather see the Gophers win this game by 40+ points as opposed to winning by 7 or less.

There's almost no chance of the Gophers winning big in this game. If the Gophers win by 40+ I will buy you your first ticket to a TCF game and hand-deliver it to you.

Also, I for one don't care what casual fans think. Anyone who thinks SDSU is a cupcake doesn't know what they're talking about, and their opinion is worthless.

In one of my posts I warned you about top ranked FCS teams like NDSU.

It's no SDSU you should worry about. If you lose the them then you lose to GSU and are at least 1-2 in your first 3 games.

In one of my posts I warned you about top ranked FCS teams like NDSU.

It's no SDSU you should worry about. If you lose the them then you lose to GSU and are at least 1-2 in your first 3 games.
Lol not how it works

People are overlooking that the Jacks will likely be starting redshirt freshman J'Bore Gibbs at QB, who has not played a minute of game action. Highly regarded, but at this point he is not Taryn Christion. Beyond the QB position, this may be one of the most talented Jacks teams on paper. They have three outstanding RB's and return a strong OL and a good group of receivers.

The jackrabbits may have to deal with dehydration issues after the bus ride from Brookings.

This is classic Gopher hole. On other threads, people are predicting that the Gophers will go 9-3 or 10-2 this season and challenge for a B1G division title.

But now, I'm reading that they have to be worried/concerned about an FCS team.

Both things cannot be true. If the Gophers are this greatly-improved team on the rise, then by definition, they should have superior talent to an FCS team. Isn't that what people on this board say whenever NDSU is brought up?

If the Gophers are as good as some people think, then this is a game they should win by a comfortable margin. If this game is a one-score game in the 4th quarter, that would be a huge red flag to me for the rest of the season.

So, you had better hope the Gophers win big. Or we are looking at a long year of bitching and moaning on the Hole.

We are looking at a long year of bitching and moaning on the Hole.

I summarized the whole post for you. Half of the posters here are negative only because they like to tell you "I told you so". Anonymously. Can you imagine being around these folk in real life?

Are you saying you would be worried about the potential of our season if we lost to SDSU?

Absolutely, you would question everything if the Gophers struggle here and barely come away with a win or heaven forbid an upset loss. But remember, in the end it's just one game. Everything looked bleak after the Illinois game last year and some were already talking about Fleck's future here but they turned it around and righted the ship.

We could recover from a loss but you would really lose a lot of the momentum the program has been building since the Illinois game. That one would really hurt if it goes the wrong way, but for a team with high expectations, don't they all??

This is classic Gopher hole. On other threads, people are predicting that the Gophers will go 9-3 or 10-2 this season and challenge for a B1G division title.

Both things cannot be true. If the Gophers are this greatly-improved team on the rise, then by definition, they should have superior talent to an FCS team. Isn't that what people on this board say whenever NDSU is brought up?

If the Gophers are as good as some people think, then this is a game they should win by a comfortable margin. If this game is a one-score game in the 4th quarter, that would be a huge red flag to me for the rest of the season.

So, you had better hope the Gophers win big. Or we are looking at a long year of bitching and moaning on the Hole.

Both things absolutely can be true, and often are. In 2007, Michigan lost at home to Appalachian St. and yet finished 9-4. That Appalachian St. team finished as FCS national champions, so they were probably better than the 2019 SDSU squad, although not by much. SDSU finished in the FCS top 4 last year and is probably even better this year. Meanwhile, 2007 Michigan was markedly better than 2019 Minnesota. It's not at all pessimistic or unreasonable to suggest the Gophers win a close game here (single digits) and still have a great season.

People are overlooking that the Jacks will likely be starting redshirt freshman J'Bore Gibbs at QB, who has not played a minute of game action. Highly regarded, but at this point he is not Taryn Christion. Beyond the QB position, this may be one of the most talented Jacks teams on paper. They have three outstanding RB's and return a strong OL and a good group of receivers.

This will also be their first game with a new OC. Their previous OC of 8 years moved on to Northern Illinois.

Yes you will if SDSU wins. Again its not just SDSU that the Gopher's really needs to worry about, it's GSU

Lol not how it works

Yet thats what some Gopher fans are worried

The jackrabbits may have to deal with dehydration issues after the bus ride from Brookings.

This could be true unless the game is in the evening.

Last edited:

Top Bottom