SDSU ranked #5, five AllAmericans

This assessment isn't fair.

SDSU is a legit top 5 team in the FCS -- which yes of course, is minor leagues compared to the Big Ten.

But, if you take a look at top 5 FCS teams playing P5 teams, I would be interested to see the average results. I doubt they're all blowouts, and wouldn't be surprised to see some close games.

It's a no win for the Gophers. Win, and you were supposed to, lose, and the sky just fell on your head.

You talk about P5 like it’s all Clemson and Alabama. It is not. It is also Rutgers and Kansas. The are plenty of FBS teams that SDSU would be favored to beat, including a few P5.

On the DI FCS side, there is also 125 teams, some with no scholarships. If you schedule and blow out an FCS team, the question is always, which one?

Last edited:

Or we are looking at a long year of bitching and moaning on the Hole.

We'll be looking at this regardless of how the team plays. After all, the end zone color doesn't match the seats, the team has too much white in their uniforms, the concession stand ran out of water, and there are lines outside the gates.

Both things absolutely can be true, and often are. In 2007, Michigan lost at home to Appalachian St. and yet finished 9-4. That Appalachian St. team finished as FCS national champions, so they were probably better than the 2019 SDSU squad, although not by much. SDSU finished in the FCS top 4 last year and is probably even better this year. Meanwhile, 2007 Michigan was markedly better than 2019 Minnesota. It's not at all pessimistic or unreasonable to suggest the Gophers win a close game here (single digits) and still have a great season.

Not to mention that this is the first game. Who knows how much of the offense will be implemented? How many Gophers will be playing their first college football game, or have serious first game jitters? Etc., etc. I personally expect a very vanilla game played by the Gophers. Hopefully, the team plays well and wins convincingly.

Yes you will if SDSU wins. Again its not just SDSU that the Gopher's really needs to worry about, it's GSU

Yet thats what some Gopher fans are worried

This could be true unless the game is in the evening.

Give it a rest. GSU appears to have a good squad. And your offense should be able to make some noise, considering how unique it is. But the Gophers got some experience with the triple option this past year. You might want to be a little more concerned about our offense.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This is a great first test for Minnesota and one I expect they pass with flying colors. To sleep on SDSU would be a huge mistake. The Jacks are outgunned but have some talent and nothing to lose. The first couple games of a football season can always get weird until teams settle in.

SDSU has talent and game will be closer than alot of people think.

Gophers win this game. 28-17 sounds about right.

I'll be more than happy with a win and come out of the game healthy, and maybe some second-teamers get some minutes.

Nothing else is important at this point. Just get a win and move on. No need to over-think this.

Give it a rest. GSU appears to have a good squad. And your offense should be able to make some noise, considering how unique it is. But the Gophers got some experience with the triple option this past year. You might want to be a little more concerned about our offense.

I'm sure that GSU and the Gophers have improved squads for 2019 the question is how much improvement have both made over last year? GT's Flex option was the triple option, but it doesn't look like ours. If your looking to cover GTs stile of option the same way you may have to make big adjustments at half time. Yes I am concerned about your offense!

SDSU has talent and game will be closer than alot of people think.
Gophers win this game. 28-17 sounds about right.

I could see that close score for NDSU, but not SDSU. I hope for the Gophers sake that the score is not that close.

I'll be more than happy with a win and come out of the game healthy, and maybe some second-teamers get some minutes.

Nothing else is important at this point. Just get a win and move on. No need to over-think this.

TRUE

Last edited:

I'm sure that GSU and the Gophers have improved squads for 2019 the question is how much improvement have both made over last year? GT's Flex option was the triple option, but it doesn't look like ours. If your looking to cover GTs stile of option the same way you may have to make big adjustments at half time. Yes I am concerned about your offense!

I could see that close score for NDSU, but I hope for the Gophers sake that the score is not that close.

TRUE

Battle Royal between Herd and GSU'sTalon in 5.4.3..

Not to mention that this is the first game. Who knows how much of the offense will be implemented? How many Gophers will be playing their first college football game, or have serious first game jitters? Etc., etc. I personally expect a very vanilla game played by the Gophers. Hopefully, the team plays well and wins convincingly.

Against a lower level opponent and the first week, I’m guessing they’re hoping to get away with a limited playbook on both sides.

Against a lower level opponent and the first week, I’m guessing they’re hoping to get away with a limited playbook on both sides.

Agree. Why Give Fresno State or Purdue more to look at. Why not work on base offense and defense.

Battle Royal between Herd and GSU'sTalon in 5.4.3..

Sadly no STPGopher. A Battle Royal would pit an = or better opponent than myself. I heard that the HEARD doesn't have it in him to go for 15min. in the octagon or pentagon with TALON!:cool: Heard would burro underground at the sight of an EAGLES shadow with TALONs drawn!:cool:

Agree. Why Give Fresno State or Purdue more to look at. Why not work on base offense and defense.

You should not worry about what you show those 2 teams. Just execute better than they do.

I could see that close score for NDSU, but I hope for the Gophers sake that the score is not that close.

NDSU and SDSU are not as far apart as you might think. SDSU has actually won 2 of the last 3 regular season meetings against NDSU.

NDSU and SDSU are not as far apart as you might think. SDSU has actually won 2 of the last 3 regular season meetings against NDSU.

Agreed.

I would never schedule any of the 4 Dakota schools or Northern Iowa. Don’t understand why we do.
Too risky for almost no reward

Agreed.

I would never schedule any of the 4 Dakota schools or Northern Iowa. Don’t understand why we do.
Too risky for almost no reward

Agree 100%.

The reason they do it, quite simply, is to get to 7 home games each season, as cheaply as possible. FCS teams can be bought for a game for I think around half a million. Whereas FBS teams from the MAC or Mtn West I think charge more like a million or more, and they push hard for 2-for-1 type deals as well.

But we could be scheduling teams like W Illinois, S Illinois, Indiana St, N Colorado, etc. The lower end of the competitive FCS. Makes zero sense to schedule the Dakotas or UNI. Should be banned by the Athletic Director.

Agree 100%.

The reason they do it, quite simply, is to get to 7 home games each season, as cheaply as possible. FCS teams can be bought for a game for I think around half a million. Whereas FBS teams from the MAC or Mtn West I think charge more like a million or more, and they push hard for 2-for-1 type deals as well.

But we could be scheduling teams like W Illinois, S Illinois, Indiana St, N Colorado, etc. The lower end of the competitive FCS. Makes zero sense to schedule the Dakotas or UNI. Should be banned by the Athletic Director.

Yup. Do not mind when we schedule FCS schools like the ones you listed. There are a ton of FCS schools all over the country to schedule. Maybe the dakotas offer a lower price or something

I doubt it. And it’s a Super Bowl game for their two-star players who think they should be playing in the Big Ten or Big XII.

The FCS game we schedule should be an auto-win, playing time for backups, warm up game. Start the season, tailgating, etc off right. Eastern Illinois a few years ago was a good example. So was New Mexico St last season, which is essentially an FCS team now that they’ve been booted from the Sun Belt.

I doubt it. And it’s a Super Bowl game for their two-star players who think they should be playing in the Big Ten or Big XII.

The FCS game we schedule should be an auto-win, playing time for backups, warm up game. Start the season, tailgating, etc off right. Eastern Illinois a few years ago was a good example. So was New Mexico St last season, which is essentially an FCS team now that they’ve been booted from the Sun Belt.

I can understand where you are comming from. When GSU was a FCS team we usually started with a D2 team. Both to work the kinks out and let the #2 & 3 squad get some game time.

JUST MY OPENION, but both the Gophers & GSU, with 85 scholarships, GSU should win

I had a pritty big argument on gsufans.com over adding NDSU to the schedule as our FCS team in 3 years after we rebuilt. NDSU is something like 6-3 against G5 and P5 teams and was ranked higher than many G5 & P5 teams last year. My point was that if GSU is a G5 team with 85 scholarships, keep on improving, meet our past standards, keep a wining head coach & staff, then if we play an FCS team make it a good one like NDSU. If GSU loses then we deserve it, but a loss against a top 5 FCS team would not hurt GSU like a loss against a low ranked FCS team. A win against a top 5 FCS team, like NDSU, would help GSU more in the end even if NDSU is an FCS team.

So Gophers just beat SDSU.

Last edited:

SDSU's starting quarterback has yet to be 'officially' named but many think the likely signal caller will be a dual-threat redshirt freshman out of Chicago. As a result, there's no college film on him. An impressive, experienced backfield and offensive line should be able to take some pressure off the quarterback's first college start.

SDSU's starting quarterback has yet to be 'officially' named but many think the likely signal caller will be a dual-threat redshirt freshman out of Chicago. As a result, there's no college film on him. An impressive, experienced backfield and offensive line should be able to take some pressure off the quarterback's first college start.

"many think the likely signal caller will be a dual-threat redshirt freshman"

My! Will be interesting to see what your dual-threat QB will do in the game against the Gophers. I'd like to see how he runs against their defense.

Last edited:

I have a vivid memory of a dome game against some relative nobody and we won in OT and there were cheers but mostly "finally that is over".... and then disappointment.

One of those games where neither team is happy.

Are you referring to the game against Miami (OH) in 2007? I remember the sense of relief when we won that game. I remember the Gophers having a 16 point lead in the middle of the 4th and the game going to overtime. I had for forgotten the Gophers had given up 3 scores in the last half of the 4th. One TD with a missed 2-point conversion, another TD, and then a FG will 11 seconds left to send it to overtime. I do remember Miami missing a FG that let us survive to the 3rd OT. I don't think anyone in the dome thought they saw a good football game, but there was such a relief that the Gophers had survived. It was a messed up season, but it could have been worse.

https://gophersports.com/documents/2018/10/19/9_8_vs_Miami_OH_W_41_35_3OT.pdf

Top Bottom