Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    Default ESPN with no shame (obviously)

    For the past two days ESPNU has shown nothing but Duke basketball games from last season. Who wouldn't want to go there? I mean every single game is on tv at least four times.


  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongLiveMilesTarver View Post
    For the past two days ESPNU has shown nothing but Duke basketball games from last season. Who wouldn't want to go there? I mean every single game is on tv at least four times.
    And? So what? You are free to not patronize their business if you don't like the way they run it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Columbia Heights
    Posts
    75

    Default

    It's no secret the national media loves coach K and Duke basketball, especially ESPN. However, they are the most recognizable program in college basketball so you can't really blame ESPN which is a national sports coverage network. There aren't a lot of college sports active at the moment either, so Duke replays on ESPNU make sense, but do agree it is shameless.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    And? So what? You are free to not patronize their business if you don't like the way they run it.
    And....choosing not to do business with someone does not diminish your right to criticize the way they do business.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    And? So what? You are free to not patronize their business if you don't like the way they run it.
    Don't worry, I typically don't. But they wouldn't air a ton of meaningless games for two days straight for any other collegiate team.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongLiveMilesTarver View Post
    Don't worry, I typically don't. But they wouldn't air a ton of meaningless games for two days straight for any other collegiate team.
    Huh, it's almost like they're running a business and are scheduling the programming that they project will maximize their viewers and advertising dollars.

    Also, your "two days straight" comment is a huge exaggeration/lie. They have shown several College World Series games, lacrosse recap shows, talk show programming like Stephen A. Smith, and so on.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Huh, it's almost like they're running a business and are scheduling the programming that they project will maximize their viewers and advertising dollars.

    Also, your "two days straight" comment is a huge exaggeration/lie. They have shown several College World Series games, lacrosse recap shows, talk show programming like Stephen A. Smith, and so on.

    Sorry, must have missed that half hour lacrosse show between the hours of 1 and midnight.

    Glad to see you're on the DukESPN payroll as you seem abnormally defensive about someone pointing out the obvious bias in their programming.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongLiveMilesTarver View Post
    Sorry, must have missed that half hour lacrosse show between the hours of 1 and midnight.

    Glad to see you're on the DukESPN payroll as you seem abnormally defensive about someone pointing out the obvious bias in their programming.
    I couldn't care less about ESPN or Duke. I'm not a fan or employee of either. I just prefer people's bitching and moaning to have some basis in fact and reason. ESPN's bias is toward maximizing profit, just like every other for-profit entity on the face of planet Earth. Broadcasting Duke basketball is obviously beneficial to that end, or they wouldn't be doing it. The fact that you get your panties in such a twist about it is hilarious. If Duke and Minnesota basketball switched places in the basketball universe, you wouldn't care about their "bias" toward Minnesota basketball.

    College baseball was on for at least 12 hours today, and at least 11 hours yesterday. Of their 24 hours of programming yesterday, roughly 6 hours were replays of Duke basketball. But yup, they've shown "nothing else" but Duke basketball for "two days straight." Good call.
    Last edited by dpodoll68; 06-11-2019 at 08:00 PM.

  9. #9

    Default

    I watch a ridiculous amount of college basketball, and in all my years, I've never seen a single team in my lifetime that was on ESPN more than Duke this past year. Someone can look up the stats, but I'd guess that 90% of their games were on ESPN or ESPN2. People can make an argument that ESPN is maximizing profits or that Duke is the most recognizable program, but that amount of exposure (not to mention the daily articles on ESPN.com) is simply ridiculous. If you claim to be a national and worldwide sports station, like ESPN claims to be, then you shouldn't be focusing on one program. Might as well advertise yourself as the official Duke channel. There were many great teams last year and many great games. This type of shove-down-your-throat coverage simply creates more Duke and ESPN haters.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongLiveMilesTarver View Post
    For the past two days ESPNU has shown nothing but Duke basketball games from last season. Who wouldn't want to go there? I mean every single game is on tv at least four times.
    Helps promote 2 things:

    1. NBA Draft for which several Blue Devils are going to be featured in
    2. Upcoming launch of the ACC Network

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gopherguy15 View Post
    I watch a ridiculous amount of college basketball, and in all my years, I've never seen a single team in my lifetime that was on ESPN more than Duke this past year. Someone can look up the stats, but I'd guess that 90% of their games were on ESPN or ESPN2. People can make an argument that ESPN is maximizing profits or that Duke is the most recognizable program, but that amount of exposure (not to mention the daily articles on ESPN.com) is simply ridiculous. If you claim to be a national and worldwide sports station, like ESPN claims to be, then you shouldn't be focusing on one program. Might as well advertise yourself as the official Duke channel. There were many great teams last year and many great games. This type of shove-down-your-throat coverage simply creates more Duke and ESPN haters.
    Maybe it had to do with one of the most polarizing college basketball players in the last couple decades? DPO is right in that it's a business first and demand for Zion moreso that Duke led to the extended coverage I'd say.

  12. #12

    Default

    and here we are talking about it. mission accomplished espn.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gopherguy15 View Post
    I watch a ridiculous amount of college basketball, and in all my years, I've never seen a single team in my lifetime that was on ESPN more than Duke this past year. Someone can look up the stats, but I'd guess that 90% of their games were on ESPN or ESPN2. People can make an argument that ESPN is maximizing profits or that Duke is the most recognizable program, but that amount of exposure (not to mention the daily articles on ESPN.com) is simply ridiculous. If you claim to be a national and worldwide sports station, like ESPN claims to be, then you shouldn't be focusing on one program. Might as well advertise yourself as the official Duke channel. There were many great teams last year and many great games. This type of shove-down-your-throat coverage simply creates more Duke and ESPN haters.
    90% is exactly right if one does not count the ACC Tourney. 27 ESPN games as well as 1 each on Raycom, FoxSports & CBS.

  14. #14

    Default

    Who knew that a business would want to promote one of its biggest money makers?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •