All Things 2019 Women's World Cup Thread

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That is a fine penalty to call at mid field but not for a PK. I was surprised after the review it stood.

The USWNT got out played most of the game and dominated physically. They looked like they had looked past spain.

One of those games where they played bad and still looked like they would win. Spain has a bit to go before they hit the next tier. Nice when you can play keep away because you have so many talented woman on your side of the ball.

That is a fine penalty to call at mid field but not for a PK. I was surprised after the review it stood.

The USWNT got out played most of the game and dominated physically. They looked like they had looked past spain.
Disagree. She came in studs up, completely missed the ball and caught Lavelle on the upper shin. That's definitely a pk. It wasn't a vicious pk, but it was clumsy and unnecessary. With that said, it could be argued Lavelle sold it by going down.

And no, Spain did not outplay the USA. Spain played a very chippy game and should have been given multiple yellows. They also passed well in stages. But the US out-possesed and out-chanced Spain by some margin despite playing largely unintelligent soccer for the most part, especially in the attacking third. And Alyssa Naeher had a lot to do with its being tight with that ridiculous gaffe.

The sub patterns weren't great by Ellis either. It was no doubt a poor performance, but they weren't out played.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Megan Rapinoe, showing all class, a role model to young women all over the country at a time when they're most in the spotlight;

"I'm not going to the f'king White House".

Stay classy, girl.

Disagree. She came in studs up, completely missed the ball and caught Lavelle on the upper shin. That's definitely a pk. It wasn't a vicious pk, but it was clumsy and unnecessary. With that said, it could be argued Lavelle sold it by going down.

And no, Spain did not outplay the USA. Spain played a very chippy game and should have been given multiple yellows. They also passed well in stages. But the US out-possesed and out-chanced Spain by some margin despite playing largely unintelligent soccer for the most part, especially in the attacking third. And Alyssa Naeher had a lot to do with its being tight with that ridiculous gaffe.

The sub patterns weren't great by Ellis either. It was no doubt a poor performance, but they weren't out played.

I completely disagree with you. They showed the replay about 100x, she barely touched her leg. It was such a light touch her foot/leg come down in the same motion and she continued to run. She didn't fall down until she realized she wouldn't get the ball. For all the shots during the game they ran through (because spain played chippy as hell) this was one of the easier ones to stay up, but she dove.

The chippyness was spain's game plan and it worked perfectly. They out physical'd the US which has been multiple other team's game plans against them but they werent' able to do it. I'll admit we out played them the first half and just couldn't finish but the 2nd half they by far out played us. They had the better chances and I'd bet they out possessed us in the 2nd half. The US got very lucky and were gifted that game.

Megan Rapinoe, showing all class, a role model to young women all over the country at a time when they're most in the spotlight;

"I'm not going to the f'king White House".

Stay classy, girl.

You have a problem with an openly gay women not wanting to visit Trump?

I completely disagree with you. They showed the replay about 100x, she barely touched her leg. It was such a light touch her foot/leg come down in the same motion and she continued to run. She didn't fall down until she realized she wouldn't get the ball. For all the shots during the game they ran through (because spain played chippy as hell) this was one of the easier ones to stay up, but she dove.

The chippyness was spain's game plan and it worked perfectly. They out physical'd the US which has been multiple other team's game plans against them but they werent' able to do it. I'll admit we out played them the first half and just couldn't finish but the 2nd half they by far out played us. They had the better chances and I'd bet they out possessed us in the 2nd half. The US got very lucky and were gifted that game.

On the pk, the call stood for all the reasons I mentioned. You can claim otherwise, but making that call and then upholding it was due to her studs being up and not coming close to getting the ball. It doesns't matter whether the touch was light or not. This stuff is soccer 101. If she doesn't call it, then you would have an argument. But the call was made and upheld on the review which was the right call due to the nature of how she came in. If it bothers you, too bad.

And no, no matter how you try to spin it, they weren't outplayed. Spain generated a few extremely modest chances in the second half, as did the USA. Almost none of Spain's runs forward were even dangerous. They managed one shot on goal for the game (thanks to a horrible gaffe by Naeher), were out-possessed by a ton and didn't really press forward until the last five or 10 minutes. Total shots were 10-4. Possession was 56-44 for the game (a large margin). Nothing you state adds up to Spain out-playing the US. Absolutely nothing.

On the pk, the call stood for all the reasons I mentioned. You can claim otherwise, but making that call and then upholding it was due to her studs being up and not coming close to getting the ball will be called every time. This is soccer 101. Like I said, if she doesn't call it, then you would have an argument. But the call was made and upheld on the review which was the right call due to the nature of how she came in. If it bothers you, too bad.

And no, no matter how you try to spin it, they weren't outplayed. Spain generated a few extremely modest chances in the second half, as did the USA. Almost none of Spain's runs forward were even dangerous. They managed one shot on goal for the game (thanks to a horrible gaffe by Naeher), were out-possessed by a ton and didn't really press forward until the last five or 10 minutes. Total shots were 10-4. Possession was 56-44 for the game (a large margin). Nothing you state adds up to Spain out-playing the US. Absolutely nothing.

We'll just have to disagree on the PK. If the touch was so light she can keep running no problem it's a dive. Plain and simple.

As far as your 2nd paragraph you may want to check the stats of the 2nd half and get back to me. I admitted we outplayed them in the first half.

We'll just have to disagree on the PK. If the touch was so light she can keep running no problem it's a dive. Plain and simple.

As far as your 2nd paragraph you may want to check the stats of the 2nd half and get back to me. I admitted we outplayed them in the first half.

I don't care about the second half stats, you do. You stated Spain outplayed the US. When I pointed out they didn't, you started talking about second half stats. The fact remains Spain didn't outplay the US.

I don't care about the second half stats, you do. You stated Spain outplayed the US. When I pointed out they didn't, you started talking about second half stats. The fact remains Spain didn't outplay the US.

You dont' have to get so mad. I'm entitled to my opinion and conceded to you that we outplayed them in the first half (which ended 1-1 mind you). But Spain did dominate us in the 2nd half especially physically. And why don't 2nd half stats matter in your mind? Was the 2nd half not part of the game? We needed a controversial PK to win the game. Without it we didn't have much else going. YOu seem to be under the impression that the US was never at risk of losing that game which just isn't true.

For the record I decided to look up the stats, in the game commentary post match this is what it says:
"Spain came out and played far better after the break and actually ended up having more possession in the 2nd half. Unfortunately for the Spaniards, their struggles to score from open play plagued them yet again i nthe final 45 minutes which left the door open for the US. The latter then took advantage in the 76th min after a controversial penalty call as Rapinoe scored both her and her country's second of the day. That proved to be enough come the final whistley though the Americans will know that they will need to be far better against tougher opposition moving forward"

Hmmmm sounds similar to what I"m saying, and that person gets paid to say that stuff....

You dont' have to get so mad. I'm entitled to my opinion and conceded to you that we outplayed them in the first half (which ended 1-1 mind you). But Spain did dominate us in the 2nd half especially physically. And why don't 2nd half stats matter in your mind? Was the 2nd half not part of the game? We needed a controversial PK to win the game. Without it we didn't have much else going. YOu seem to be under the impression that the US was never at risk of losing that game which just isn't true.

For the record I decided to look up the stats, in the game commentary post match this is what it says:
"Spain came out and played far better after the break and actually ended up having more possession in the 2nd half. Unfortunately for the Spaniards, their struggles to score from open play plagued them yet again i nthe final 45 minutes which left the door open for the US. The latter then took advantage in the 76th min after a controversial penalty call as Rapinoe scored both her and her country's second of the day. That proved to be enough come the final whistley though the Americans will know that they will need to be far better against tougher opposition moving forward"

Hmmmm sounds similar to what I"m saying, and that person gets paid to say that stuff....
Played better after halftime doesn't equate to dominating. It simply means they played better than in the first half, but still couldn't even generate one chance on net in the final 45. That's not dominating. It's simply being more competitive, which they were. Dominating is holding the ball in the offensive half or final third for extended periods of time. Spain didn't manage that in either half.

On top of that, writing that Spain "actually had more possession" in the second half also doesn't exactly denote being outplayed or being "physically dominated," especially when a whole lot of that Spanish possession came over the final 15 to 20 minutes when the US decided to defend the lead and played behind the ball. That's the period where Spain went ahead in possession imo, therefore the begrudging "actually had more possesion." Of course, I could be wrong, but who knows?

One more comment on the physicality as well. It led to an 18-4 margin in fouls, which, if I'm being totally honest, factored into the final pk imo.

Refs are human and I suspect all that bumping and hacking by Spain during the game factored into that last whistle. I still think it's a pk, but I'm not sure the center ref calls that if Spain plays a cleaner game.

Anyway, I'm really worried about France. Would love to win obviously, and France hasn't exactly set the world on fire in this tourney. But playing them on their home soil? As defending champs? In the quarterfinals? Feels dicey...

One more comment on the physicality as well. It led to an 18-4 margin in fouls, which, if I'm being totally honest, factored into the final pk imo.

Refs are human and I suspect all that bumping and hacking by Spain during the game factored into that last whistle. I still think it's a pk, but I'm not sure the center ref calls that if Spain plays a cleaner game.

Anyway, I'm really worried about France. Would love to win obviously, and France hasn't exactly set the world on fire in this tourney. But playing them on their home soil? As defending champs? In the quarterfinals? Feels dicey...

Can't argue with any of this. It is the approach teams have started to take against the US women though and the game plan does seem to work. It prevents their direct approach by stopping them before they can get forward, interrupting their flow and pace. And I agree the ref may have been more hesitant to call that foul in the box if they hadn't been blowing their whistle every 5 minutes against spain.

And agree about France. The US will need to play much better and finish on a high percentage of their opportunities to win this game. I don't think France has been playing their best soccer either, not sure if its the pressure of being home for the WC or what but hopefully both teams play well and we get a great game. Would be nice for the US to stay in it just to keep 1 non Euro team in the tournament... The US is the last one.

Can't argue with any of this. It is the approach teams have started to take against the US women though and the game plan does seem to work. It prevents their direct approach by stopping them before they can get forward, interrupting their flow and pace. And I agree the ref may have been more hesitant to call that foul in the box if they hadn't been blowing their whistle every 5 minutes against spain.

And agree about France. The US will need to play much better and finish on a high percentage of their opportunities to win this game. I don't think France has been playing their best soccer either, not sure if its the pressure of being home for the WC or what but hopefully both teams play well and we get a great game. Would be nice for the US to stay in it just to keep 1 non Euro team in the tournament... The US is the last one.

Traditionally, home teams struggle in WC play due to the weight of expectations and I think the pressure might be building for France a bit. I thought they were on the ropes against Brazil before Henry bailed them out in extra time.

With that said, they've got serious speed on the wings and their combination plays through midfield are fun to watch. And I worry about our outside defenders against that type of team, especially Crystal Dunn, who finds herself out of position lots of the time. And Alyssa Naeher gives me headaches in goal. There are times where I wonder where her head is (see the Spain game) and to top it off, she misreads crosses pretty often.

With that said, France has some serious deficiencies defensively as well and the US has more than enough playmakers to take advantage. I'll simply say I highly doubt it'll be a low-scoring affair. It'll be close, but not low-scoring.

Traditionally, home teams struggle in WC play due to the weight of expectations and I think the pressure might be building for France a bit. I thought they were on the ropes against Brazil before Henry bailed them out in extra time.

With that said, they've got serious speed on the wings and their combination plays through midfield are fun to watch. And I worry about our outside defenders against that type of team, especially Crystal Dunn, who finds herself out of position lots of the time. And Alyssa Naeher gives me headaches in goal. There are times where I wonder where her head is (see the Spain game) and to top it off, she misreads crosses pretty often.

With that said, France has some serious deficiencies defensively as well and the US has more than enough playmakers to take advantage. I'll simply say I highly doubt it'll be a low-scoring affair. It'll be close, but not low-scoring.

Naehler looks like she can't move. Maybe it's me, but she seems to be extremely slow and not quick. I don't trust her.

100% agree, I fully expect France to score goals on us and I fully expect us to get ours.

Agreed on Naeher she is all over the place on her decisions on crosses/corners, don't trust her at all.

Naehler looks like she can't move. Maybe it's me, but she seems to be extremely slow and not quick. I don't trust her.
That might be part of it, but her instincts are also a worry. The gaffes she had against Spain and Chile (even though that one got called back due to an offsides) were simply ridiculous.

You have a problem with an openly gay women not wanting to visit Trump?

I don't have a problem with anyone not wanting to visit the Trumpster. I don't think I would ever pass up a trip to see the Commander in Chief no matter who it was but I understand it.

But she should understand her audience just a tiny bit, maybe a small bit of self-awareness. When they pan the stands during the WC games, especially the US matches, and they are filled with 8, 10, 14-year old girls clad in red-white-and blue, she might want to consider the fact that she's a role model whether she likes it or not and saying "f*cking White House" is just a very very bad look.

If I was a parent of a young girl looking up to these players,... good grief. Understand your situation a little bit better.

I don't have a problem with anyone not wanting to visit the Trumpster. I don't think I would ever pass up a trip to see the Commander in Chief no matter who it was but I understand it.

But she should understand her audience just a tiny bit, maybe a small bit of self-awareness. When they pan the stands during the WC games, especially the US matches, and they are filled with 8, 10, 14-year old girls clad in red-white-and blue, she might want to consider the fact that she's a role model whether she likes it or not and saying "f*cking White House" is just a very very bad look.

If I was a parent of a young girl looking up to these players,... good grief. Understand your situation a little bit better.

I think this is just another case of men having issues with successful women. Male pro athletes have these quotes all the time and I don't see you here calling them out talking about how they should be better role models. She didn't say this to a group of kids at a school. Is there a complete video or recording of the interview? Maybe the reporter egged her on first or had already frustrated her, I don't know. Maybe she is just that passionate in her hate for trump and as a gay woman I can understand why and don't blame her. Anybody can visit the white house, she doesn't have to go see Trump to do it.

I think this is just another case of men having issues with successful women. Male pro athletes have these quotes all the time and I don't see you here calling them out talking about how they should be better role models. She didn't say this to a group of kids at a school. Is there a complete video or recording of the interview? Maybe the reporter egged her on first or had already frustrated her, I don't know. Maybe she is just that passionate in her hate for trump and as a gay woman I can understand why and don't blame her. Anybody can visit the white house, she doesn't have to go see Trump to do it.

There has been a ton of criticism when male athletes said something similar.

With all due respect, your post is confusing on a number of levels.

My wife is one of the most successful women I know, so it would be quite a stretch to say that I have an issue with successful women. I also don't know that I would classify someone who is relevant once every 4 years as massively successful?

This is the second time you've brought up Rapinoe's sexuality. I don't know why her sexuality is relevant, and I had no idea what her sexuality was until you mentioned it; I'm assuming you are correct or you wouldn't have mentioned it twice? Anyway, not sure why her sexuality is relevant in this case.

As far as her in comparison to male pro athletes, the massive distinction would be who the fans are. Again, I have no issue with her views on the President. She's not alone. It's the language she used, when she has to be aware that she's in the spotlight with a demographic that is massively made up of girls from 6-16 years old. Just very poor judgment.

It's not worth beating the issue. She just doesn't seem very self-aware.

With all due respect, your post is confusing on a number of levels.

My wife is one of the most successful women I know, so it would be quite a stretch to say that I have an issue with successful women. I also don't know that I would classify someone who is relevant once every 4 years as massively successful?

This is the second time you've brought up Rapinoe's sexuality. I don't know why her sexuality is relevant, and I had no idea what her sexuality was until you mentioned it; I'm assuming you are correct or you wouldn't have mentioned it twice? Anyway, not sure why her sexuality is relevant in this case.

As far as her in comparison to male pro athletes, the massive distinction would be who the fans are. Again, I have no issue with her views on the President. She's not alone. It's the language she used, when she has to be aware that she's in the spotlight with a demographic that is massively made up of girls from 6-16 years old. Just very poor judgment.

It's not worth beating the issue. She just doesn't seem very self-aware.

She's a gay woman and you don't know why that is relevant in why she would want to or not want to visit Trump? You are kidding right?

There has been a ton of criticism when male athletes said something similar.

I must have missed it. Probably because I don't think people need to be criticized for stuff like this. It happens all the time especially with athletes and reporters. She didn't say it to a group of young girls.

Little nervous about today. We haven't scored a clean goal in our last two games, and France isn't the type of team we can depend on to make mistakes. Naeher worries me as well. France is an organized fundamentally strong side, though they looked very beatable in their last game. Could see this one going either way.

I don't think it will be a track meet by any means. Think both sides will play a cautious first half with things opening up more in the second. IMO two goals will be enough to win it, and maybe even one. Just hope it isn't decided on a PK.

Little nervous about today. We haven't scored a clean goal in our last two games, and France isn't the type of team we can depend on to make mistakes. Naeher worries me as well. France is an organized fundamentally strong side, though they looked very beatable in their last game. Could see this one going either way.

I don't think it will be a track meet by any means. Think both sides will play a cautious first half with things opening up more in the second. IMO two goals will be enough to win it, and maybe even one. Just hope it isn't decided on a PK.
I was also very nervous about the game, but they found a way. Vastly outpossesed and outshot, but really crowded the middle, which meant the French had to play outside the box an awful lot to get shots off until about 70 minutes or so.

Naeher was also very good. Couldn't have stopped the France goal and didn't commit any obvious gaffes. Central defenders did well for the most part. Was most worried about Dunn on the left side, but she hung in there.

Overall, France was better between the 18s while the finished a bit better. The US did a really good job killing the game in extra time.

So not pretty, but effective. Eight straight WC semifinals and counting...

She's a gay woman and you don't know why that is relevant in why she would want to or not want to visit Trump? You are kidding right?

I don't know why her sexuality is relevant to her choice of saying, "f*cking White House". That she may not want to go was never in question here. You seem to want to pull really hard in this one direction.

In regards to what appears to be a complete lack of self-awareness, this sure seems like an odd battle to fight when you have filed a lawsuit wanting to be paid more money? This is going to significantly strengthen their position? Garner them lots of support? And she's the captain of the team.

Another gem is her saying that if/when they win the WC, SHE's going to call a team meeting and the team is going to "discuss" visiting the White House at that time; Translation; she's going to tell them what they should and shouldn't do and attempt to force her will on the rest of the team.

I saw an online poll Friday before their France match, asking people in the US if they were cheering for the USA to win the World Cup. 20,000 people responded, and it was roughly 60% rooting for them to win, 40% not rooting for them to win.

What do you suppose it was for Brandi Chastain and Mia Hamm in 1999? I gotta guess maybe 95+% rooting for them to win?

I will say this, I give her some credit for recanting and backing down off using the f-word, says she regretted doing that. Kudos definitely for doing that.

Top Bottom