Freshmen added to roster on GopherSports website

I count 86 scholarship athletes...St. Juste would make 87.

That assumes Schoenfelder, Swenson, Brock Annexstad still on scholarship.

Defensive tackle has the most unknowns...lose OJ, Silver, Gary Moore; Gibson played some inside...return Renner and Teague who played; need both to take a step forward...brought in DewTreadway, Schad as older guys, need both to be hits; added Cheney, Carter as well regarded high school players...maybe get something from Robinson, Hickcox, or Richter?.. maybe a guy I think of as a DE grows into a DT? Ahanotu or Okonji? New coach steps up?

Offensive line after Olson, Blaise, Faalele is another question...Dunlap, Schlueter, Dickson, Schmitz, Guedet need to have good Summers. Nice if someone else emerges (Sassack, Beier, Boe maybe?)

Safety other area to watch...assume Howden and Winfield...only guys with experience there...Sapp? St. Juste? Nubin? Swenson? Unit will miss Huff.

Love what we have at DE with CC, WDL, Mafe, Otomewo, Devers...mix in redshirts Okonji, Ahanotu, Reigelsperger...maybe get instant help from true frosh MJ Anderson or Dv Harris.

Love our returning starting linebackers Martin and Barber...who plays Cashman/Huff role?...may only play two LBs in a lot of sets...need Rush, SoriMarin, Oliver, Gordon, or Willis to push the starters, be ready to play.

Confident at corner with Kiondre, T Smith, Durr, Chris Williamson all somewhat proven...T Nubin competes to play here?

RB, WR stacked; best QB unit we've had in a long time...like the TEs...like Herbers...some good K candidates in place...

I count 86 scholarship athletes...St. Juste would make 87.

That assumes Schoenfelder, Swenson, Brock Annexstad still on scholarship.

Defensive tackle has the most unknowns...lose OJ, Silver, Gary Moore; Gibson played some inside...return Renner and Teague who played; need both to take a step forward...brought in DewTreadway, Schad as older guys, need both to be hits; added Cheney, Carter as well regarded high school players...maybe get something from Robinson, Hickcox, or Richter?.. maybe a guy I think of as a DE grows into a DT? Ahanotu or Okonji? New coach steps up?

Offensive line after Olson, Blaise, Faalele is another question...Dunlap, Schlueter, Dickson, Schmitz, Guedet need to have good Summers. Nice if someone else emerges (Sassack, Beier, Boe maybe?)

Safety other area to watch...assume Howden and Winfield...only guys with experience there...Sapp? St. Juste? Nubin? Swenson? Unit will miss Huff.

Love what we have at DE with CC, WDL, Mafe, Otomewo, Devers...mix in redshirts Okonji, Ahanotu, Reigelsperger...maybe get instant help from true frosh MJ Anderson or Dv Harris.

Love our returning starting linebackers Martin and Barber...who plays Cashman/Huff role?...may only play two LBs in a lot of sets...need Rush, SoriMarin, Oliver, Gordon, or Willis to push the starters, be ready to play.

Confident at corner with Kiondre, T Smith, Durr, Chris Williamson all somewhat proven...T Nubin competes to play here?

RB, WR stacked; best QB unit we've had in a long time...like the TEs...like Herbers...some good K candidates in place...

Well, I think it'd be a bit odd to have someone transfer midway through/after summer workouts...but I guess someone could be waiting until summer camp to make a decision? My guess is Brock isn't on scholarship anymore, leaving us at 86 scholarships? My bet is that one of the other two you listed isn't on scholarship since I don't forsee more transfers as the timing would be odd (but I could be wrong). I'm thinking I might get a Google Sheet of scholarships going since I can never find a good source for it....

I’m guessing 2 guys offered to give their scholarships up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Below is a random stat you have to love. Let's see how long we can keep it going...

https://gophersports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=16372

"• did not attempt a punt in the final 101:48 of the season (final Minnesota punt of the season came at Wisconsin with 11:48 remaining in the second quarter) •":clap:

Austin Winfield is 5’7 180lbs as a Freshman?!

I'm sure that some of the walk-ons who were awarded scholarships last year were told it was for 1 year. A classic example of how the numbers don't always work out.

I'm sure that some of the walk-ons who were awarded scholarships last year were told it was for 1 year.

Of course they were JG. Likely told Brock right after the big reveal.... “don’t get too excited, it’s only for one year.” That’s how everyone does it. No coaches pull schollies to make room for new recruits.

A classic example of how the numbers don't always work out.

I’m willing to bet the #s will work out. If they work out by someone losing a scholarship they had last year then it is a classic example proving my point - you do get that right?

Last edited:

Of course they were JG. Likely told Brock right after the big reveal.... “don’t get too excited, it’s only for one year.” That’s how everyone does it.

Why would walk-ons ever be awarded scholarships unless they are starters if the numbers work out every year? If coaches force players out every year, we would never have scholarships to award to players like Brock, Bailey and others. Every team would sign 25 players every recruiting cycle and force out the worst players on the roster. Why did guys like Quinn Oseland, Bronson Dovich and JFC last for 4 years?

Why would walk-ons ever be awarded scholarships unless they are starters if the numbers work out every year? If coaches force players out every year, we would never have scholarships to award to players like Brock, Bailey and others. Every team would sign 25 players every recruiting cycle and force out the worst players on the roster. Why did guys like Quinn Oseland, Bronson Dovich and JFC last for 4 years?

Never said it happens every year on every team. Never said it happens in every case. I said it happens, frequently, when teams need to make room for a new recruit they want. You said that never happens, then claimed you didn’t say that, then admitted you did and were wrong when called out, then changed to some other argument here. I’m not sure where to go from here.

Never said it happens every year on every team. Never said it happens in every case. I said it happens, frequently, when teams need to make room for a new recruit they want. You said that never happens, then claimed you didn’t say that, then admitted you did and were wrong when called out, then changed to some other argument here. I’m not sure where to go from here.

Sure you did. You said the numbers always work out. Every year. On every team.

Sure you did. You said the numbers always work out. Every year. On every team.

And they do. That is far different than saying every team pulls scholarships every year from players which is what you claimed I said.

Seems even you can’t keep up with what you have and haven’t said. I’ll admit, it is hard.

Austin Winfield is 5’7 180lbs as a Freshman?!

I would be highly skeptical of the first number, and pretty skeptical of the weight. He's more like 5'5 I think.

Top Bottom