Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 166 to 178 of 178

Thread: Culture War

  1. #166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    You have an "I believe Blasey-Ford bumper sticker" don't you...
    I believe her and I believe kav when he says he likes beer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  2. #167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    If they let him do it
    Why did you let that guy break into your house? Guess you were ok with it

  3. #168

    Default

    http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/...migration.html

    Excellent read. Tide May be turning?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  4. #169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/...migration.html

    Excellent read. Tide May be turning?
    This is in a new century when the U.S. is trying to absorb the largest wave of new immigrants in our entire history, and when the percentage of the population that is foreign-born is also near a historic peak. It is also a time when mass immigration from the developing world has destabilized liberal democracies across the West, is bringing illiberal, anti-immigration regimes to power across Europe, and was the single biggest reason why Donald Trump is president.

    I’m told that, as a legal immigrant, I’m shutting the door behind me now that I’ve finally made it to citizenship. I’m not. I favor solid continuing legal immigration, but also a reduction in numbers and a new focus on skills in an economy where unskilled labor is increasingly a path to nowhere. It is not strange that legal immigrants — who have often spent years and thousands of dollars to play by the rules — might be opposed to others’ jumping the line. It is not strange that a hefty proportion of Latino legal immigrants oppose illegal immigration — they are often the most directly affected by new, illegal competition, which drives down their wages.

    I’m told that I’m a white supremacist for believing in borders, nation-states, and a reduction in legal immigration to slow the pace of this country’s demographic revolution. But I support this because I want a more successful integration and Americanization of immigrants, a better future for skilled immigrants, and I want to weaken the populist and indeed racist movements that have taken the West by storm in the past few years. It’s because I loathe white supremacy that I favor moderation in this area.

    When I’m told only white racists favor restrictionism, I note how the Mexican people are more opposed to illegal immigration than Americans: In a new poll, 61.5 percent of Mexicans oppose the entry of undocumented migrants, period; 44 percent believe that Mexico should remove any undocumented alien immediately. Are Mexicans now white supremacists too? That hostility to illegal immigration may even explain why Trump’s threat to put tariffs on Mexico if it didn’t crack down may well have worked. Since Trump’s bluster, the numbers have measurably declined — and the crackdown is popular in Mexico. I can also note that most countries outside Western Europe have strict immigration control and feel no need to apologize for it. Are the Japanese and Chinese “white supremacists”? Please. Do they want to sustain their own culture and national identity? Sure. Is that now the equivalent of the KKK?

    The Democrats’ good ideas need to be put in contact with this bigger question if they are to win wider support. In the U.S. in the 21st century, should anyone who enters without papers and doesn’t commit a crime be given a path to citizenship? Should all adversely affected by climate change be offered a path to citizenship if they make it to the border? Should every human living in violent, crime-ridden neighborhoods or countries be granted asylum in America? Is there any limiting principle at all?

    Fine.

    He is entitled to his opinions. At least, it is a thoughtfully expressed opinion ... even if it is wrongheaded at its core.

    When people are respectful and thoughtful, I will at least respect their right to be wrong.

  5. #170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    It’s not assault if it’s consensual. Jammer needs an English refresher. And as far as I know, no one has come forward to allege that he grabbed them by the p$$$y.
    Playboy playmates and models, he’s a womanizer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Assuming that he doesn't ask prior to grabbing, then it's only consensual if the woman he grabbed was pleased with the grab. "They let you do it" can range from being happy that the event occurred to being indifferent about it all the way to being completely disgusted, but refusing to press charges. I don't think that the latter case would constitute as "they let you do it", as a naive creep would think is happening, rather he's simply not being legally prosecuted for the action.

    I suspect that Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein thought they were "letting him do it" as well. DJT likely falls a lot closer to those two than you currently opine.

  6. #171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cncmin View Post
    Assuming that he doesn't ask prior to grabbing, then it's only consensual if the woman he grabbed was pleased with the grab. "They let you do it" can range from being happy that the event occurred to being indifferent about it all the way to being completely disgusted, but refusing to press charges. I don't think that the latter case would constitute as "they let you do it", as a naive creep would think is happening, rather he's simply not being legally prosecuted for the action.

    I suspect that Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein thought they were "letting him do it" as well. DJT likely falls a lot closer to those two than you currently opine.
    Bill Cosby drugged and raped women. End of story.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    Bill Cosby drugged and raped women. End of story.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think a tangentially-related strawman statement ends any story.

  8. #173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cncmin View Post
    I don't think a tangentially-related strawman statement ends any story.
    You literally brought up Bill Cosby. We’ll add “straw man fallacy” to the pile of things you don’t understand


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    You literally brought up Bill Cosby. We’ll add “straw man fallacy” to the pile of things you don’t understand


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And? The comparison to DJT is legit in the context I used. Telling us what we all already knew about Cosby's crimes is a tangent, and you are, again, attacking a strawman; i.e., you are attacking Cosby to make a case that DJT's crimes are A-OK.

  10. #175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cncmin View Post
    And? The comparison to DJT is legit in the context I used. Telling us what we all already knew about Cosby's crimes is a tangent, and you are, again, attacking a strawman; i.e., you are attacking Cosby to make a case that DJT's crimes are A-OK.
    It’s not legit. Trump didn’t drug women unconscious and then rape them. You brought up Cosby, not me. I don’t think trump committed any crimes. Trumps problem is amoral behavior. But that’s just totes bible banging to point it out, so here we are.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    It’s not legit. Trump didn’t drug women unconscious and then rape them. You brought up Cosby, not me. I don’t think trump committed any crimes. Trumps problem is amoral behavior. But that’s just totes bible banging to point it out, so here we are.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Here's the problem: you consistently fail to read well, and you get stuck on little minutia and tangents and fail to see the big picture. I never said Trump did acts equivalent to Cosby. I never said DJT raped someone (although if the latest accuser's statement is accurate, then it sounds like he might have). I said "I suspect that Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein thought they were "letting him do it" as well." In other words, the assaulter thinking that they are "letting you do it" is not legal justification for the assault.

    And if DJT sexually assaulted anyone, then he committed a crime, period.
    Last edited by cncmin; 06-30-2019 at 11:08 PM.

  12. #177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cncmin View Post
    Here's the problem: you consistently fail to read well, and you get stuck on little minutia and tangents and fail to see the big picture. I never said Trump did acts equivalent to Cosby. I never said DJT raped someone (although if the latest accuser's statement is accurate, then it sounds like he might have). I said "I suspect that Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein thought they were "letting him do it" as well." In other words, the assaulter thinking that they are "letting you do it" is not legal justification for the assault.

    And if DJT sexually assaulted anyone, then he committed a crime, period.
    Bill Cosby didn't think his victims were "letting him do it". That's why he drugged them unconscious. So that isn't an example of me getting stuck on tangents. It was an example you brought up and it was not a good comparison.

    The more the left gives whackos like E Jean a platform, the less people take the other 21 allegations seriously. Way to go lefties.

  13. #178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    It’s not legit. Trump didn’t drug women unconscious and then rape them.
    LOL!!!!

    "Oh come on! That's BS! .... We all know that Trump raped those women while they were fully conscious!! So stop your fake news Cosby accusations!!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •