Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 133

Thread: Culture War

  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Uh huh. It's funny how the R's let such terribly lax elections go on for decades until they started losing, looked at the coming demographic trends and said "oh $%^^ what are we going to do?"
    Started losing?


  2. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    YOu should just leave this country and start your own racist utopia. Why do you hate America and American principles so much?
    Spoken like the true totalitarian fascist that you are. The sad part is that you have no clue.

  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    Spoken like the true totalitarian fascist that you are. The sad part is that you have no clue.
    If the guy who wants to administer english tests to citizens before they vote is the one who thinks I have no clue then I feel good about where I am. x1000000000000

    You pretend to be American but only pretend.
    Who hates iowa?

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    If the guy who wants to administer english tests to citizens before they vote is the one who thinks I have no clue then I feel good about where I am. x1000000000000

    You pretend to be American but only pretend.
    I feel really good about wanting people to come to a place and being a citizen where they have a fighting chance to succeed. Speaking basic English is a really, really good start. Be productive, responsible and part of the culture and then vote. Not the reverse. You want an enabling society. I want a productive and great society. We used to have expectations for our citizens- now from the left there is not even the expectation for proof of citizenship.

    Unless they meet certain requirements for exemption, all applicants seeking to become U.S. citizens must pass an English language test. According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website, applicants for U.S. citizenship must pass three separate English language tests; speaking, reading and writing.

    “An officer determines an applicant’s ability to speak and understand English based on the applicant’s ability to respond to questions normally asked in the course of the naturalization examination” – U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website

    The USCIS website notes that the USCIS officer conducting the naturalization examination makes a determination regarding the applicant’s English language proficiency. “An officer determines an applicant’s ability to speak and understand English based on the applicant’s ability to respond to questions normally asked in the course of the naturalization examination.” According to the USCIS website, an applicant fails this test if “he or she does not understand sufficient English to be placed under oath or to answer the eligibility questions on his or her naturalization application.”


    https://www.2anews.us/editorial/2017...r-citizenship/

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    I feel really good about wanting people to come to a place and being a citizen where they have a fighting chance to succeed. Speaking basic English is a really, really good start. Be productive, responsible and part of the culture and then vote. Not the reverse. You want an enabling society. I want a productive and great society. We used to have expectations for our citizens- now from the left there is not even the expectation for proof of citizenship.

    Unless they meet certain requirements for exemption, all applicants seeking to become U.S. citizens must pass an English language test. According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website, applicants for U.S. citizenship must pass three separate English language tests; speaking, reading and writing.

    “An officer determines an applicant’s ability to speak and understand English based on the applicant’s ability to respond to questions normally asked in the course of the naturalization examination” – U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website

    The USCIS website notes that the USCIS officer conducting the naturalization examination makes a determination regarding the applicant’s English language proficiency. “An officer determines an applicant’s ability to speak and understand English based on the applicant’s ability to respond to questions normally asked in the course of the naturalization examination.” According to the USCIS website, an applicant fails this test if “he or she does not understand sufficient English to be placed under oath or to answer the eligibility questions on his or her naturalization application.”


    https://www.2anews.us/editorial/2017...r-citizenship/
    Yes I'm aware to gain citizenship/get your green card there is a language test. You aren't talkinga bout gaining citizenship. You were talking about giving a test before people vote. About the dumbest thing anyone has said around here in quite a while.
    Who hates iowa?

  6. #36

    Default

    Oh and you called me totalitarian to boot. I don't think you know what that word means.
    Who hates iowa?

  7. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    Is that really true? US was the model of the world as a republic and a democracy when only landowners could vote. Justice and individual liberty are more important. I have very little control today about what will happen to me. No more than did the average voter in 1800.

    I at least congratulate you for having reasons. But majority rules is a very flawed system.
    Every system is flawed. There isn't a perfect way to govern.

    You'd never be able to go back to the voting system of the 18th century. You would have a full blown civil war on your hands.

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gopherguy0723 View Post
    Every system is flawed. There isn't a perfect way to govern.

    You'd never be able to go back to the voting system of the 18th century. You would have a full blown civil war on your hands.
    There are superior ways to govern, utopia is impossible. You should read "The Law" by Frederic Bastiat. It's my favorite book of all time, is very short, and is free. You are one of the few who could read it and understand, no idea if it would change your mind on anything, but you are open minded enough to make a dent.

    No, we are going one way only and it's off a cliff. It's still worthwhile to have discussion about the best way to do things, even if they are politically difficult or even impossible. A discussion about politically feasible changes would be very short.

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    Yes I'm aware to gain citizenship/get your green card there is a language test. You aren't talkinga bout gaining citizenship. You were talking about giving a test before people vote. About the dumbest thing anyone has said around here in quite a while.
    Until you posted that. America: English>>>>>> Citizenship >>>>>>>> Voting Leftists: Voting with no requirements or responsibility attached>>>> Big Government >>>>Bigger government >>>>>> Bigger government >>>> Totalitarianism

    Gerald Ford: "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.



  10. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    Until you posted that. America: English>>>>>> Citizenship >>>>>>>> Voting Leftists: Voting with no requirements or responsibility attached>>>> Big Government >>>>Bigger government >>>>>> Bigger government >>>> Totalitarianism

    Gerald Ford: "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.


    You want the government to administer tests to citizens before they can vote, citizens who have a right to vote. Nothing more totalitarian than that beeg. Like I said, you just pretend to be American.
    Who hates iowa?

  11. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    You want the government to administer tests to citizens before they can vote, citizens who have a right to vote. Nothing more totalitarian than that beeg. Like I said, you just pretend to be American.
    America was founded on white male landowners being the only ones allowed to vote. So "that's not American to limit the vote!" is obviously wrong. Now, I obviously think that's way too far. However, it's not unreasonable that voters have some skin in the game, however you want to define that. I like "net taxpayer". Landowner would be fine. I don't agree with beeg on language tests.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    33,593
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    Spoken like the true totalitarian fascist that you are. The sad part is that you have no clue.
    Your voting restrictions plan could come directly out of a Storm Front post and you call others Facist?

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    33,593
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gopherguy0723 View Post
    Every system is flawed. There isn't a perfect way to govern.

    You'd never be able to go back to the voting system of the 18th century. You would have a full blown civil war on your hands.
    Beeg already wants a test at the polls. Can "landowners only" be very far behind?

  14. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    America was founded on white male landowners being the only ones allowed to vote. So "that's not American to limit the vote!" is obviously wrong. Now, I obviously think that's way too far. However, it's not unreasonable that voters have some skin in the game, however you want to define that. I like "net taxpayer". Landowner would be fine. I don't agree with beeg on language tests.
    Define landowner? Does owning a condo count? People who rent can't vote? What if when I'm old and retired I get tired of owning a house and decide to rent instead, now I can't vote? What a ridiculous idea. Tell me more about this net taxpayer though. I'd be more interested in a tax filer designation though.
    Who hates iowa?

  15. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    You want the government to administer tests to citizens before they can vote, citizens who have a right to vote. Nothing more totalitarian than that beeg. Like I said, you just pretend to be American.
    How did they become a citizen?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •