Thread: boxing

Default boxing

i don't know if there is a boxing thread. but the heavyweight division may be at the best it has been since the 90s. joshua will probably get a rematch with ruiz before the year is up, fury is the lineal champ, and wilder holds the wbc belt.

I am thinking about signing up for a free 7-day trial for ESPN + so I can see the Fury fight this weekend.

I've been watching a lot more boxing lately. ESPN and FS1 have cards on just about every Saturday night with Top rank boxing or Premier Boxing Champions, including some title fights.

Shango James has another fight coming up next month at the Minneapolis Armory. That is a great venue for boxing.

I was in college during the 70's, so I used to go to the Five Corners Saloon to watch Ali fight on the big screen. Still remember the Ali-Shavers fight. The Acorn hit Ali with a shot that would have knocked out 99% of heavyweights - and Ali just shook it off and came back to win the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    I am thinking about signing up for a free 7-day trial for ESPN + so I can see the Fury fight this weekend.

I've been watching a lot more boxing lately. ESPN and FS1 have cards on just about every Saturday night with Top rank boxing or Premier Boxing Champions, including some title fights.

Shango James has another fight coming up next month at the Minneapolis Armory. That is a great venue for boxing.

I was in college during the 70's, so I used to go to the Five Corners Saloon to watch Ali fight on the big screen. Still remember the Ali-Shavers fight. The Acorn hit Ali with a shot that would have knocked out 99% of heavyweights - and Ali just shook it off and came back to win the fight.
    I got back into watching boxing by watching Truax and Shango fight at the Armory. I got the trial of ESPN+ last summer to watch Manny Pacquio fight. Might have to see if I can weasel another free trial out of them.

I don't understand the love for UFC. I find it to be pretty lame. All of my friends like it. I much prefer boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by stocker08 View Post
    I don't understand the love for UFC. I find it to be pretty lame. All of my friends like it. I much prefer boxing.
    UFC seems like a lot of hype for such a short event. I've never gotten into it either.

Quote Originally Posted by stocker08 View Post
    It is as boring as soccer, just in different ways. Boxing is so much better than both.
    Aloha Mr. Hand

I still am a highlight guy for boxing and ufc. I still can't watch hockey highlights that sport just sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by monk10 View Post
    I still am a highlight guy for boxing and ufc. I still can't watch hockey highlights that sport just sucks.
    I used to be a hockey naysayer. But I've come around. Playoff hockey is some of the most entertaining sporting events around. Game seven in the Stanley Cup Playoff tonight is going to be great. Go Blues!

Turns out I did not watch the Fury fight on Saturday. Didn't want to stay up that late. (getting old is so much fun)

Sounds like I didn't miss much. This Schwartz must have been a real tomato can. Reports I read sounded like Fury didn't bother to get in the best shape for the fight. Hopefully he'll fight someone a little more challenging the next time around.

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    Turns out I did not watch the Fury fight on Saturday. Didn't want to stay up that late. (getting old is so much fun)

Sounds like I didn't miss much. This Schwartz must have been a real tomato can. Reports I read sounded like Fury didn't bother to get in the best shape for the fight. Hopefully he'll fight someone a little more challenging the next time around.
    That was the first time I had seen Fury fight, so I have no comparison, but endurance didn't end up being an issue for him, as the fight didn't even last a full 2 rounds. I was entertained, from his ring entrance (had a Rocky IV Apollo Creed theme) to his performance in the fight itself. His opponent was undefeated, but hadn't fought the toughest competition. Nonetheless, I was really impressed by Fury's technique, range (there can't be many with longer arm lengths in the history of boxing), power, and mobility (especially for his size). To me, if that was not his best, then his best would put him as one of, if not the best in heavyweight history.