Graham Mertz is Wisconsin's most-hyped QB since Russell Wilson

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Well-written story. Sounds like a level-headed kid.

This part caught my eye:

There's the weather: "I love the cold," said Mertz, born to a Minnesotan father and a Sconnie mother. "I hate the heat, which makes me like the cold."

There's the league: "I grew up watching Big Ten football, so I knew I was going to end up in the Big Ten. I loved how Big Ten people play. I don't know what it is. The way I fit into that was like the perfect thing."

There's also the state of Wisconsin, which Mertz has visited his entire life because his mother is from Green Bay. Despite not being a huge NFL fan, he owns three Brett Favre jerseys (two Packers, one Vikings).

"We'd always go up to Door County," Mertz said. "My grandpa had a cottage right on Lake Michigan, so growing up, I fell in love with the state."

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-mertz-wisconsin-most-hyped-qb-russell-wilson

Both his parents went to Minnesota and his Dad played football for the Gophers and we still couldn't land him. Darn it!

Both his parents went to Minnesota and his Dad played football for the Gophers and we still couldn't land him. Darn it!

We cooled on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being 4th in line for the next 3 years was not overly appealing to him. Sounds like a smart kid.

This part caught my eye:

There's the weather: "I love the cold," said Mertz, born to a Minnesotan father and a Sconnie mother. "I hate the heat, which makes me like the cold."

There's the league: "I grew up watching Big Ten football, so I knew I was going to end up in the Big Ten. I loved how Big Ten people play. I don't know what it is. The way I fit into that was like the perfect thing."

There's also the state of Wisconsin, which Mertz has visited his entire life because his mother is from Green Bay. Despite not being a huge NFL fan, he owns three Brett Favre jerseys (two Packers, one Vikings).

"We'd always go up to Door County," Mertz said. "My grandpa had a cottage right on Lake Michigan, so growing up, I fell in love with the state."

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-mertz-wisconsin-most-hyped-qb-russell-wilson

He sucks donkey ballz

if he doesn't work out they will be in a tough situation. In talking to their fans, many assume he will be Russell Wilson on day one and only get better so they are set for the next four years. That is a lot of assumptions to make on a kid that hasn't taken a college snap yet.

We have had our share of high expectations being grounded when it comes to the QB position in the past. It would be interesting to see Wisconsin endure some of that. This year in particular, with the skitterish Hornibrooke departing, they would potentially be pretty thin at that position. Ifs and buts. We'll see. Wisconsin always seems to land on their feet.

This part caught my eye:

So basically his Mom and Dad have the same amount of chest hair.

Sparlimb and BballJones:

Thanks for the coffee I sprayed all over my screen.

if he doesn't work out they will be in a tough situation. In talking to their fans, many assume he will be Russell Wilson on day one and only get better so they are set for the next four years. That is a lot of assumptions to make on a kid that hasn't taken a college snap yet.

We have had our share of high expectations being grounded when it comes to the QB position in the past. It would be interesting to see Wisconsin endure some of that. This year in particular, with the skitterish Hornibrooke departing, they would potentially be pretty thin at that position. Ifs and buts. We'll see. Wisconsin always seems to land on their feet.

^^^

Stave, Hornibrook, Coan seem to be data points in a negative trend line and chances are decent Metz will end up pretty good but a pretty good 97-ish 4 star former recruit recruit Brandon Peters just left Michigan after underwhelming. You really just don’t know, even with blue chip QBs until the rubber hits the road on game days. I’d argue Wisconsin hit their peak in recent years more because because of their defense, not their offense. If both take a step back again this year there is a window of opportunity for the good guys to reset the narrative and perhaps get a coach fired in a few years...

^^^

Stave, Hornibrook, Coan seem to be data points in a negative trend line and chances are decent Metz will end up pretty good but a pretty good 97-ish 4 star former recruit recruit Brandon Peters just left Michigan after underwhelming. You really just don’t know, even with blue chip QBs until the rubber hits the road on game days. I’d argue Wisconsin hit their peak in recent years more because because of their defense, not their offense. If both take a step back again this year there is a window of opportunity for the good guys to reset the narrative and perhaps get a coach fired in a few years...

I'm guessing Coan starts this season. If Mertz never pushes him for playing time in 2019, that will be a clue as to how good Mertz is.

No matter who the Badger QB is, I can't see them changing their offensive philosophy much. If you're playing defense against Wisconsin, you know you're going to get to know their running backs. You'll see a lot of Taylor.

^^^

Defense and running game, which was driven by great RBs and OL. Russell Wilson was supposed to be their ticket to a national championship, and that fell short. Agreed on QBs. I remember how hyped some people were regarding Croft and the excitement around getting both Nelson and Leidner (remember all the QB Jesus comments around here way too well). And there's a reason an astronomical number of top flight guys transfer every year. Playing QB at a high level becomes very hard to prognosticate, some guys develop and can play at the pace, some guys can't. I'll wait and see before I crown Mertz as a future Heisman winner

He better run like Wilson with their rebuilding Oline.

As you said, we'll see, but I'm not sure they're equipped to land on their feet like they have in the past, given their current coaching staff. I am not sold on Chryst and company.

In Mertz's case, I would be surprised if the rest of the team is at the level of Wilson's teams. Moreover, I would be very surprised if Mertz ends up playing at the level of Wilson, as not many have in college football. As good as those Wisconsin teams were, Wilson created alot of big plays on his own.

As good as those Wisconsin teams were, Wilson created alot of big plays on his own.

He did, but my personal favorite Russell Wilson play came in the Rose Bowl against Oregon. The badgers were down a TD, two seconds left and the clock stopped to reset the chains after a first down moved them to the Oregon 25. No timeouts, so they line up and Wilson, needing a TD. . .spikes the ball as the clock expires. Enjoy!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NowcFBOAg7A

He did, but my personal favorite Russell Wilson play came in the Rose Bowl against Oregon. The badgers were down a TD, two seconds left and the clock stopped to reset the chains after a first down moved them to the Oregon 25. No timeouts, so they line up and Wilson, needing a TD. . .spikes the ball as the clock expires. Enjoy!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NowcFBOAg7A

We had a guy do that against our team in HS with about 30 secs left on the clock, but it was 4th down!

Top Bottom