Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1

    Default Graham Mertz is Wisconsin's most-hyped QB since Russell Wilson

    Well-written story. Sounds like a level-headed kid.

    This part caught my eye:

    There's the weather: "I love the cold," said Mertz, born to a Minnesotan father and a Sconnie mother. "I hate the heat, which makes me like the cold."

    There's the league: "I grew up watching Big Ten football, so I knew I was going to end up in the Big Ten. I loved how Big Ten people play. I don't know what it is. The way I fit into that was like the perfect thing."

    There's also the state of Wisconsin, which Mertz has visited his entire life because his mother is from Green Bay. Despite not being a huge NFL fan, he owns three Brett Favre jerseys (two Packers, one Vikings).

    "We'd always go up to Door County," Mertz said. "My grandpa had a cottage right on Lake Michigan, so growing up, I fell in love with the state."


    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...russell-wilson
    --------------

    "7 National Titles...

    ... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".


  2. #2

    Default

    Both his parents went to Minnesota and his Dad played football for the Gophers and we still couldn't land him. Darn it!

  3. #3

    Default

    Is someone trying to jinx this boy!?!?

  4. #4

    Default

    Oh, well. His loss!

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GridironGus View Post
    Both his parents went to Minnesota and his Dad played football for the Gophers and we still couldn't land him. Darn it!
    We cooled on him.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Consensus Top 25 Class, 4 of final 5, 80% underclassmen, Youngest Team, 2nd Youngest Team, Best Back-To-Back Classes Ever, 9 Scholarship Seniors, HS Teacher, 8-Hour Radius, Major Paycut

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GridironGus View Post
    Both his parents went to Minnesota and his Dad played football for the Gophers and we still couldn't land him. Darn it!
    Being 4th in line for the next 3 years was not overly appealing to him. Sounds like a smart kid.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    9,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post
    Well-written story. Sounds like a level-headed kid.

    This part caught my eye:

    There's the weather: "I love the cold," said Mertz, born to a Minnesotan father and a Sconnie mother. "I hate the heat, which makes me like the cold."

    There's the league: "I grew up watching Big Ten football, so I knew I was going to end up in the Big Ten. I loved how Big Ten people play. I don't know what it is. The way I fit into that was like the perfect thing."

    There's also the state of Wisconsin, which Mertz has visited his entire life because his mother is from Green Bay. Despite not being a huge NFL fan, he owns three Brett Favre jerseys (two Packers, one Vikings).

    "We'd always go up to Door County," Mertz said. "My grandpa had a cottage right on Lake Michigan, so growing up, I fell in love with the state."


    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...russell-wilson
    He sucks donkey ballz
    "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,390

    Default

    if he doesn't work out they will be in a tough situation. In talking to their fans, many assume he will be Russell Wilson on day one and only get better so they are set for the next four years. That is a lot of assumptions to make on a kid that hasn't taken a college snap yet.

    We have had our share of high expectations being grounded when it comes to the QB position in the past. It would be interesting to see Wisconsin endure some of that. This year in particular, with the skitterish Hornibrooke departing, they would potentially be pretty thin at that position. Ifs and buts. We'll see. Wisconsin always seems to land on their feet.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post
    Well-written story. Sounds like a level-headed kid.

    This part caught my eye:

    There's the weather: "I love the cold," said Mertz, born to a Minnesotan father and a Sconnie mother. "I hate the heat, which makes me like the cold."

    There's the league: "I grew up watching Big Ten football, so I knew I was going to end up in the Big Ten. I loved how Big Ten people play. I don't know what it is. The way I fit into that was like the perfect thing."

    There's also the state of Wisconsin, which Mertz has visited his entire life because his mother is from Green Bay. Despite not being a huge NFL fan, he owns three Brett Favre jerseys (two Packers, one Vikings).

    "We'd always go up to Door County," Mertz said. "My grandpa had a cottage right on Lake Michigan, so growing up, I fell in love with the state."


    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...russell-wilson
    So basically his Mom and Dad have the same amount of chest hair.

  10. #10

    Default

    Sparlimb and BballJones:

    Thanks for the coffee I sprayed all over my screen.
    --------------

    "7 National Titles...

    ... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    11,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    if he doesn't work out they will be in a tough situation. In talking to their fans, many assume he will be Russell Wilson on day one and only get better so they are set for the next four years. That is a lot of assumptions to make on a kid that hasn't taken a college snap yet.

    We have had our share of high expectations being grounded when it comes to the QB position in the past. It would be interesting to see Wisconsin endure some of that. This year in particular, with the skitterish Hornibrooke departing, they would potentially be pretty thin at that position. Ifs and buts. We'll see. Wisconsin always seems to land on their feet.
    ^^^

    Stave, Hornibrook, Coan seem to be data points in a negative trend line and chances are decent Metz will end up pretty good but a pretty good 97-ish 4 star former recruit recruit Brandon Peters just left Michigan after underwhelming. You really just don’t know, even with blue chip QBs until the rubber hits the road on game days. I’d argue Wisconsin hit their peak in recent years more because because of their defense, not their offense. If both take a step back again this year there is a window of opportunity for the good guys to reset the narrative and perhaps get a coach fired in a few years...

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparlimb View Post
    He sucks donkey ballz
    Are you dropping code words?


  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    ^^^

    Stave, Hornibrook, Coan seem to be data points in a negative trend line and chances are decent Metz will end up pretty good but a pretty good 97-ish 4 star former recruit recruit Brandon Peters just left Michigan after underwhelming. You really just don’t know, even with blue chip QBs until the rubber hits the road on game days. I’d argue Wisconsin hit their peak in recent years more because because of their defense, not their offense. If both take a step back again this year there is a window of opportunity for the good guys to reset the narrative and perhaps get a coach fired in a few years...
    I'm guessing Coan starts this season. If Mertz never pushes him for playing time in 2019, that will be a clue as to how good Mertz is.

    No matter who the Badger QB is, I can't see them changing their offensive philosophy much. If you're playing defense against Wisconsin, you know you're going to get to know their running backs. You'll see a lot of Taylor.
    --------------

    "7 National Titles...

    ... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    4,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    ^^^

    Stave, Hornibrook, Coan seem to be data points in a negative trend line and chances are decent Metz will end up pretty good but a pretty good 97-ish 4 star former recruit recruit Brandon Peters just left Michigan after underwhelming. You really just don’t know, even with blue chip QBs until the rubber hits the road on game days. I’d argue Wisconsin hit their peak in recent years more because because of their defense, not their offense. If both take a step back again this year there is a window of opportunity for the good guys to reset the narrative and perhaps get a coach fired in a few years...
    Defense and running game, which was driven by great RBs and OL. Russell Wilson was supposed to be their ticket to a national championship, and that fell short. Agreed on QBs. I remember how hyped some people were regarding Croft and the excitement around getting both Nelson and Leidner (remember all the QB Jesus comments around here way too well). And there's a reason an astronomical number of top flight guys transfer every year. Playing QB at a high level becomes very hard to prognosticate, some guys develop and can play at the pace, some guys can't. I'll wait and see before I crown Mertz as a future Heisman winner

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GridironGus View Post
    Both his parents went to Minnesota and his Dad played football for the Gophers.
    Classic.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •