Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ogee Oglethorpe View Post
    You'd be surprised. You can get a premium or luxury for as much as a regular full size sometimes; I've seen instances where full size SUV's were the same or less than a mid-size. It changes all the time. Sometimes they need to get some miles on those nicer cars, they don't get out as much, whatever.

It's worth looking into. The other factor too is, comfort and enjoyment for the entire fam; they get to ride something different, maybe a little more room, some other features, whatever. Make it seem like a real get away for everyone.
    I didn't know that. But I also don't travel a whole lot and rarely rent cars. Really only do so when I go down to my grandparents adobe "vacation" home in New Mexico. I put vacation in quotes because it's not really a good place to vacation. I went there a few of years ago in February hoping to golf. It turned out that it was one of the coldest months that NM had in years. They had snow on the ground. The tees wouldn't penetrate the ground. The temperature was higher here in Minnesota. Go figure.

But if you like hiking....they live right on the Black Mesa. That's always a good climb. And they are close to Los Alamos....where the Atom Bomb was developed. So they have a cool museum there. Anyways....I got way off track with New Mexico bull$hit. Long story short.......it's a mostly boring place. If you fly into Albuquerque and travel north on 25, which I've done several times, you go right past the New Mexico Lobos football stadium. It's not impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by stocker08 View Post
    I didn't know that. But I also don't travel a whole lot and rarely rent cars. Really only do so when I go down to my grandparents adobe "vacation" home in New Mexico. I put vacation in quotes because it's not really a good place to vacation. I went there a few of years ago in February hoping to golf. It turned out that it was one of the coldest months that NM had in years. They had snow on the ground. The tees wouldn't penetrate the ground. The temperature was higher here in Minnesota. Go figure.

But if you like hiking....they live right on the Black Mesa. That's always a good climb. And they are close to Los Alamos....where the Atom Bomb was developed. So they have a cool museum there. Anyways....I got way off track with New Mexico bull$hit. Long story short.......it's a mostly boring place. If you fly into Albuquerque and travel north on 25, which I've done several times, you go right past the New Mexico Lobos football stadium. It's not impressive.
    ABQ isn't a bad place. Almost all the in-laws are there, I spend some time there. I was there a month ago for a 100-mile bike race in Santa Fe and I'm heading there in 10 days for another bike race in SF. I always thought ABQ wouldn't be a terrible place to retire. The climate is really pretty optimal, up at 5000 feet elevation; not too hot, not too cold, and it's really cheap to live there, really cheap. I couldn't live there because you can't make any money there but retiring would be a consideration, if I didn't already have the place in Flagstaff.

Back to the matter at hand, I say rent a car. I always like renting a car, you get something new/different every time. I also like that it lets you try out some things for longer than a dealer test drive. I've had some rentals I would never ever consider buying and wouldn't have known that before hand.

And spend the extra few bucks to rent something nicer than the cheapest you can find. For an extended rental, if something decent is for example, $600 and something nice is only $750 or $800, spend the extra money on your family and let them ride in style. You're going to be in that thing for a long, LONG time for that many miles. The happier they'll be, the happier you'll be behind the wheel!
    - Respect is the ultimate currency

I'd say if you are on the fence rent a car, but only do it if you are getting one that is as comfortable (or more comfortable) for the trip as your own. 2200 miles isn't super long or anything but you'll be spending a lot of time in that car so better make sure you are at least comfortable. If you are going on long trips having AAA is a great idea. Besides the roadside assistance they can even help with mapping out your routes and helping you avoid major construction projects.

In the end with anything mechanical even if you take great care of it or get a new rental car break downs happen. Have to be able to roll with the punches on long road trips. Maybe you will discover a great small town because of a break down or an awesome restaurant or something.
    Who hates iowa?

ABQ isn't a bad place. Almost all the in-laws are there, I spend some time there. I was there a month ago for a 100-mile bike race in Santa Fe and I'm heading there in 10 days for another bike race in SF. I always thought ABQ wouldn't be a terrible place to retire. The climate is really pretty optimal, up at 5000 feet elevation; not too hot, not too cold, and it's really cheap to live there, really cheap. I couldn't live there because you can't make any money there but retiring would be a consideration, if I didn't already have the place in Flagstaff.

Back to the matter at hand, I say rent a car. I always like renting a car, you get something new/different every time. I also like that it lets you try out some things for longer than a dealer test drive. I've had some rentals I would never ever consider buying and wouldn't have known that before hand.

And spend the extra few bucks to rent something nicer than the cheapest you can find. For an extended rental, if something decent is for example, $600 and something nice is only $750 or $800, spend the extra money on your family and let them ride in style. You're going to be in that thing for a long, LONG time for that many miles. The happier they'll be, the happier you'll be behind the wheel!
    I hope that I didn't paint it as a bad place. Just....as a vacation destination...probably shouldn't be on the list.

But for the active type, NM is an awesome place to vacation.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I hope that I didn't paint it as a bad place. Just....as a vacation destination...probably shouldn't be on the list.

But for the active type, NM is an awesome place to vacation.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    NM is one of about 6 states I've never been to. For that reason alone, I have it on my list, but you're not inspiring me to make it #1. Some of the others are Arkansas and Oklahoma and I can't find much reason to visit them either.

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    NM is one of about 6 states I've never been to. For that reason alone, I have it on my list, but you're not inspiring me to make it #1. Some of the others are Arkansas and Oklahoma and I can't find much reason to visit them either.
    New Mexico is gorgeous. So is Arkansas.

Northern Arkansas is actually quite nice. If you are weary of Arkansas maybe go the Ozarks route?
    Who hates iowa?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    Northern Arkansas is actually quite nice. If you are weary of Arkansas maybe go the Ozarks route?
    It's not that I'm weary exactly. I'm sure it's beautiful, but it doesn't strike me as a place for an entire vacation and it's not near anywhere else I want to visit. Perhaps the Gophers will schedule then in football sometime. I almost went when they played them in basketball a couple years ago but the timing didn't work.

It's a really nice place. I've just been there too often......and once you've seen everything they have to offer....like I said....it's not really a destination vacation.

I didn't take it in a bad way at all; my response was just a generic "ABQ isn't a bad place".

Quote Originally Posted by GopherJake View Post
    New Mexico is gorgeous. So is Arkansas.
    Santa Fe and northern NM is really really nice as far as weather and climate and scenery; it's loaded with rich folks and Hollywood types, they're there for a reason. Outside of Santa Fe and northern NM, ehhh, it's not so awesome. Great elk hunting in northern NM, some of the biggest bulls in the country taken there every year.
    - Respect is the ultimate currency

I didn't take it in a bad way at all; my response was just a generic "ABQ isn't a bad place".

Santa Fe and northern NM is really really nice as far as weather and climate and scenery; it's loaded with rich folks and Hollywood types, they're there for a reason. Outside of Santa Fe and northern NM, ehhh, it's not so awesome. Great elk hunting in northern NM, some of the biggest bulls in the country taken there every year.
    I went to Santa Fe and Taos once in the summer. Have you ever gone skiing in Taos. I think it’s on the Ikon, which I have.

I have gotten to flying and then renting as I am trying to maximize my time in a place. I usually rent in one state and fly out in another. It works great to have a comfortable vehicle to get luggage and family in and out of easily.

We've never done it, but my wife and I have broached the subject for our upcoming road trip to/through Colorado--something sure-footed (AWD) but not too big for the windey mountain roads (e.g. Pike's Peak). Not wanting to take our RAV4, which has 235,000 miles on it. We've been talking about buying a Highlander, so this would be a chance for an extended test drive if we could guarantee that exact vehicle, but I don't think the rental companies work that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Costa Rican Gopher View Post
    Just rent a car. It's going to lower your anxiety level. How much is that worth? It seems like that's what you want to do, so just do it.

If you do decide to drive your own, make sure to get AAA at least a month before the trip. I have the Gold (mid level package). If the car breaks down on a trip they will tow it up to 100 miles + pay hotel & food for 3 days (might be 5?). For 2 cards (wife & myself each have one) I think it's $180 a year. Covers 3 tows, 3 jumps, 3 lock outs, per car + they'll bring you gas is you run dry, etc. I don't know how I ever lived without it.
    AAA has been great to have. I don't use it very often....but just having that piece of mind is way worth it. I've used it for dead batteries in the past and towing a few times. Plus I can use it when driving with friends. Of course.....dead batteries shouldn't be much of an issue anymore. I bought a portable jumpstarter for the trunk and it was around $100. So much easier than having to call AAA and then have to wait for them to show up. A lot of times they are pretty quick....but there's been once or twice during rush hour after work that I've waited long than an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    I'd say if you are on the fence rent a car, but only do it if you are getting one that is as comfortable (or more comfortable) for the trip as your own. 2200 miles isn't super long or anything but you'll be spending a lot of time in that car so better make sure you are at least comfortable. If you are going on long trips having AAA is a great idea. Besides the roadside assistance they can even help with mapping out your routes and helping you avoid major construction projects.

In the end with anything mechanical even if you take great care of it or get a new rental car break downs happen. Have to be able to roll with the punches on long road trips. Maybe you will discover a great small town because of a break down or an awesome restaurant or something.
    Definitely get something comfortable. Back when I was in college (poor college students).....me and seven friends made a spring break road trip down to the Gulf coast of Florida when of one my friends parents own a nice vacation home on a golf course. Eight guys packed into an Excursion. The ride down wasn't horrible since we were all pretty excited.....the ride back was hell.....and we drove straight through both ways. I'm not sure I could handle that again.