ESPN: Coach K's grandson a Duke walk-on: 'Earned it'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski is once again bringing in one of the elite recruiting classes in the country, but it's a walk-on with whom Krzyzewski will be most familiar.

Krzyzewski's grandson, Michael Savarino, is joining the program for the 2019-20 season.

Savarino is the son of Krzyzewski's oldest daughter, Debbie. He played for Durham Academy (North Carolina) during his high school career.

"He's earned it," Krzyzewski told reporters last week. "Michael was a really good player at Durham Academy, well-coached there, they had their best season ever. Played on a talented team this year. Michael is a leader, he's a good shooter, player. He's also an outstanding student. He's able to be admitted to Duke."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26914321/earned-it

Go Gophers!!

per ESPN:

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski is once again bringing in one of the elite recruiting classes in the country, but it's a walk-on with whom Krzyzewski will be most familiar.

Krzyzewski's grandson, Michael Savarino, is joining the program for the 2019-20 season.

Savarino is the son of Krzyzewski's oldest daughter, Debbie. He played for Durham Academy (North Carolina) during his high school career.

"He's earned it," Krzyzewski told reporters last week. "Michael was a really good player at Durham Academy, well-coached there, they had their best season ever. Played on a talented team this year. Michael is a leader, he's a good shooter, player. He's also an outstanding student. He's able to be admitted to Duke."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26914321/earned-it

Go Gophers!!

I wonder if he can say this about the rest of his recruits. Highly doubt they are admitted on the same standards as the rest of campus.

I wonder if he can say this about the rest of his recruits. Highly doubt they are admitted on the same standards as the rest of campus.

Are there any programs in D1 basketball or football in the country that don't do this? This happens in all sports at all levels of the NCAA.

Yeah, I didn't think about that right away. That's kind of a strange statement for him to make.

Ivy league

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Most Ivy League athletes would not be admitted if they weren’t athletes. They have much better test scores and high school gpa than athletes of other schools but not as good as the general student body of an Ivy League school. Virtually all schools take students that are very good at particular skills, not just athletics but music or theatre or are perhaps heavily involved with the community or have leadership positions in clubs over students that have higher test scores and a better GPA, including the Ivy League.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you think he'll take some classes at UNC? You know, to boost his GPA?

Remember during last season K had a quote of “I’d take 2 star recruit with a 5 star work ethic over a 5 star recruit with a 2 star work ethic anyday.” :rolleyes:

Most Ivy League athletes would not be admitted if they weren’t athletes. They have much better test scores and high school gpa than athletes of other schools but not as good as the general student body of an Ivy League school. Virtually all schools take students that are very good at particular skills, not just athletics but music or theatre or are perhaps heavily involved with the community or have leadership positions in clubs over students that have higher test scores and a better GPA, including the Ivy League.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is also true at the service academies to a lesser extent. Everybody still has to go through all the hoops.

Let’s watch and see how much playing time he gets.

Given the success that coach K has had, who cares and why does this matter?

Top Bottom