Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bracketville, MN
    Posts
    21,505
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Thumbnail Historical Look At Gophers In ACC/B1G Challenge

    Only on 3 occasions have the Gophers played an ACC/B1G Challenge opponent that ended up in the NCAA Tournament. The Gophers are 0-3 in those instances, losing to Wake Forest in the 2001-02 season, Florida State in the 2016-17 season, and Miami in the 2017-18 season. Only the Miami game was played at Williams Arena (Gophers' only home Challenge sellout).

    Record: 9-11

    Home: 6-4

    Road: 3-7

    Record In Years Made NCAA Tournament: 2-4

    Longest Win Streak: 5

    Longest Losing Streak: 5

    Current Streak: L-3

    Largest Home Crowd: Miami, 2017, 14,625 (sellout)

    Smallest Home Crowd: Florida State, 2004, 9,081

    Average Home Crowd: 11,673

    Number of Times Opponents Played (includes upcoming Clemson game) -- last meeting in parentheses
    Florida State 6 (2016)
    Virginia 4 (2010)
    Clemson 3 (2019)
    Miami 2 (2017)
    Wake Forest 2 (2014)
    Boston College 1 (2018)
    Georgia Tech 1 (2002)
    Maryland 1 (2005)
    Virginia Tech 1 (2011)
    Duke 0
    Louisville 0
    North Carolina 0
    NC State 0
    Notre Dame 0
    Pitt 0
    Syracuse 0
    Last edited by SelectionSunday; 06-10-2019 at 09:10 AM.


  2. #2

    Default

    Should be noted all those games against UVA were before they became good. No way we get them now.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers7633 View Post
    Should be noted all those games against UVA were before they became good. No way we get them now.
    Duly noted.

    Go Gophers!!

  4. #4

    Default

    Considering how we did at BC we should be happy with draws from the lower tier of the ACC.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post
    Considering how we did at BC we should be happy with draws from the lower tier of the ACC.
    It is better to lose quad 1 games than win quad 2 games

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SelectionSunday View Post
    Only on 3 occasions have the Gophers played an ACC/B1G Challenge opponent that ended up in the NCAA Tournament. The Gophers are 0-3 in those instances, losing to Wake Forest in the 2001-02 season, Florida State in the 2016-17 season, and Miami in the 2017-18 season. Only the Miami game was played at Williams Arena (Gophers' only home Challenge sellout).

    Record: 9-11

    Home: 6-4

    Road: 3-7

    Record In Years Made NCAA Tournament: 2-4

    Longest Win Streak: 5

    Longest Losing Streak: 5

    Current Streak: L-3

    Largest Home Crowd: Miami, 2017, 14,625 (sellout)

    Smallest Home Crowd: Florida State, 2004, 9,081

    Average Home Crowd: 11,673

    Number of Times Opponents Played (includes upcoming Clemson game) -- last meeting in parentheses
    Florida State 6 (2016)
    Virginia 4 (2010)
    Clemson 3 (2019)
    Miami 2 (2017)
    Wake Forest 2 (2014)
    Boston College 1 (2018)
    Georgia Tech 1 (2002)
    Maryland 1 (2005)
    Virginia Tech 1 (2011)
    Duke 0
    Louisville 0
    North Carolina 0
    NC State 0
    Notre Dame 0
    Pitt 0
    Syracuse 0
    For comparison, here is the same for Wisconsin:

    Duke 3
    UVA 3
    Wake 3
    NCSt 2 (3rd this upcoming year)
    Syracuse 2
    UNC, FSU, VaTech, GaTech 1
    Louisville, Miami, Clemson, ND, Pitt 0

    They also played Maryland 3 times prior to the switch.

    Overall record: 10-10, record in years they made dance 10-9, record in years they missed 0-1
    Last edited by obobo55; 06-11-2019 at 11:01 AM.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    It is better to lose quad 1 games than win quad 2 games
    No it isn't.

    Replace "quad 2" with "quad 4", and then it might be true.

  8. #8

    Default

    This 2002 match up vs Ga Tech with Chris Bosh is the highlight of the challenge for me as a Gopher fan. Great game and the Barn was electric that night.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •