Shooter: Amir Coffey is expected to receive several 2-way contracts if not drafted

per Shooter:

Ex-Gopher Amir Coffey is expected to receive several two-way contract offers from NBA G-League affiliates if he’s not drafted next week. The Clippers, Trail Blazers, Nets, Spurs and Kings are said to be interested.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/06/08/charley-walters-joe-mauer-mn-twins-surge-toward-playoffs/

Go Gophers!!

That would not surprise me at all. I think many are undervaluing Coffey's talents. 6'8 perimeter guys dont grow on trees

That would not surprise me at all. I think many are undervaluing Coffey's talents. 6'8 perimeter guys dont grow on trees

It would not surprise you if he went undrafted and got a two way contract?

My reaction was, so what?? If he goes undrafted that means he wasn’t one of the top 60 prospects this year, and many of those draftees don’t even get more than a whiff of the nba, if that.

So f&cking stupid.

My reaction was, so what?? If he goes undrafted that means he wasn’t one of the top 60 prospects this year, and many of those draftees don’t even get more than a whiff of the nba, if that.

So f&cking stupid.

Nothing has ever been documented but Amir's decision to stay in the draft does seem to indicate that he didn't like playing for Pitino. He's not ready for the NBA (if he ever will be), the family should be well funded and they also value education. What am I missing here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amir's game is better suited for the NBA, than the college level. That doesn't necessarily mean I think he will be a better NBA player than college player, but I do think the NBA is fully aware of him, and I expect him to be drafted.

Nothing has ever been documented but Amir's decision to stay in the draft does seem to indicate that he didn't like playing for Pitino. He's not ready for the NBA (if he ever will be), the family should be well funded and they also value education. What am I missing here?

Your primary assumption! If he is getting a shot at the NBA and was told it wouldn’t change by playing his senior year, then he should go. As simple as that.

Your primary assumption! If he is getting a shot at the NBA and was told it wouldn’t change by playing his senior year, then he should go. As simple as that.

Exactly. Staying for his senior year could help his Gopher cred, but can only hurt him professionally.

So f&cking stupid.

Im not sure this was a thread worthy of using "f&cking." Other threads for sure...... Haha

We are still beating this thread! Move on, Amir did

So f&cking stupid.
Even if he doesn't get a two way contract next year, he can still make 35k for 5 months of work in the G-League. The teams also put you up in a house rent free, so that 35k goes alot farther.

If he gets a two way contract, he can earn 50k just for going to training camp with the team. Players under a two way contract make $77,250 if they just play in the g-League for the 5 months. If he gets called up to an NBA team he will make the prorated league minimum which equates to nearly $4,800 a day.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Even if he doesn't get a two way contract next year, he can still make 35k for 5 months of work in the G-League. The teams also put you up in a house rent free, so that 35k goes alot farther.

If he gets a two way contract, he can earn 50k just for going to training camp with the team. Players under a two way contract make $77,250 if they just play in the g-League for the 5 months. If he gets called up to an NBA team he will make the prorated league minimum which equates to nearly $4,800 a day.

Not life changing $. You only do this if you are expecting to get to the NBA.

Not enough money, for a long enough time to replace getting your degree for a real career.

Not enough money, for a long enough time to replace getting your degree for a real career.

Why can't he finish his degree later? The time period for earning money as a pro athlete is limited. Why not take a shot now? He really had little to gain by playing for free for another season.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Why can't he finish his degree later? The time period for earning money as a pro athlete is limited. Why not take a shot now? He really had little to gain by playing for free for another season.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Exactly, if he wants to play in the NBA this route is probably a better choice than staying in school another year, your life is basketball for five months with no other distractions, I would still say the NBA is a long shot and he's probably got 40 years of work ahead of him, in 15 years he will miss that he didn't have a 4th year of college.

Amir's knee injury played the biggest role in the decision. Prior knee surgery- and he doesn't want to put another year of wear and tear w/o getting paid something. Don't blame him for that, knees don't last long in the modern game.

Didn’t think Amir’s life coaches would be sticking around this long.

Didn’t think Amir’s life coaches would be sticking around this long.

I selfishly wanted him to come back . However, i am thrilled for him to chase his dreams. Always want every young person to go for it and never measure the value of being a Gopher over chasing whatever it is they want.

He can still finish his degree at no cost to him as long as he does it within ten years.

His agent is going to take a cut of whatever that contract is and Amir/his family could owe for training sessions to get him prepared for the workouts/G league combine. I hope Amir makes it and it's possible another year at Minnesota could have hurt his draft stock. It's also possible that one year of ineffective play in the G league could take Amir completely off the radar of NBA teams.

His agent is going to take a cut of whatever that contract is and Amir/his family could owe for training sessions to get him prepared for the workouts/G league combine. I hope Amir makes it and it's possible another year at Minnesota could have hurt his draft stock. It's also possible that one year of ineffective play in the G league could take Amir completely off the radar of NBA teams.

I hope he has a long and successful career in the NBA. It is a very tough choice to make and he seems to have good advisers around him, no prima donna.

I felt that another year at the U would give him a better shot at the NBA, but it looks like he is getting legitimate shot.

I hope he has a long and successful career in the NBA. It is a very tough choice to make and he seems to have good advisers around him, no prima donna.

I felt that another year at the U would give him a better shot at the NBA, but it looks like he is getting legitimate shot.

It looks like they took their time and really thought this through, this doesn't strike me as that player that is not ready going for the money. No telling if he will make it but I have little doubt that his family did their due diligence and made the decision they felt was best for Amir at this time.

Would have loved to see him play for the Gophers for one more year but it is what it is. Hopefully it works out for him at the next level, best thing for the program now is for him to find success in the NBA because that will give us something to sell to future recruits.

Top Bottom