PITINO VS FLECK - Thoughts ?

My only gripe with Pitino is that things look haphazard in terms of recruiting and game-planning. It's really too bad Carr wasn't deemed eligible last season because this team would have probably won a few more games with a true point guard who was consistent. I could never figure out what was up with Washington except it was obvious Pitino didn't trust him on the floor.

Fleck seems to have a system and we'll see if it works. Too early to tell.

My only gripe with Pitino is that things look haphazard in terms of recruiting and game-planning. It's really too bad Carr wasn't deemed eligible last season because this team would have probably won a few more games with a true point guard who was consistent. I could never figure out what was up with Washington except it was obvious Pitino didn't trust him on the floor.

Fleck seems to have a system and we'll see if it works. Too early to tell.

So you’re saying that predicting the minds of 18 year old recruits is difficult? Duh!

In BB you get hurt more by having a few recruiting misses.

BB 5 starters/ 13 scholarships = 38.5%
FB 22/85 =25.9%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you’re saying that predicting the minds of 18 year old recruits is difficult? Duh!

FB 22/85 =25.9%

I just have a hard time figuring out the straight line on Pitino's recruiting/game planning. My comments weren't a dis on Washington or Pitino for that situation.

Yes, Pitino has continued the abject failure of Gopher basketball since it’s inception. Unless they cheat. Other than that, what a stellar program. The love that Gopher hoops gets us truly bizarre.
I thought you were never negative about gopher teams?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I thought you were never negative about gopher teams?

That changed to players, then to active roster players. Try to follow along.

If we look to Big Ten records, it's not flattering for either (both are sub .400, Fleck is sub .300). That said, they are both coming off their best years, so I'm hoping they are both on an upward trajectory. Fleck has only had two years, and year 2 was better than year one. Pitino has had enough time that his lack of cumulative success (when considering full body of work) is a little more concerning for me. I personally like Pitino's approach more than flecks, but I judge coaches based on record, not my personal preferences.

FB 22/85 =25.9%

Christ you're pathetic.

I'm a huge Pitino supporter, but it's totally OK to question or criticize the coach and still remain a good fan. Please climb off his junk.

This is stupid, but here is my take:

Physically: Fleck by a mile.

Mentally: Who knows? Neither strikes me as Bobby Fisher.

Recruiting: Pitino may have more 4* recruits!

Coaching: Jury is still out. Best thing Pitino has done coaching is win a tournament game his team was totally prepared for. Best thing Fleck has done is fire his defensive coordinator mid-season. Advantage Pitino.

One on one basketball: Both would be getting spotting points from Lindsay and would still lose!

MTV bringing celebrity death match back. This could get interesting in claymation.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Pitino kind of looks like Don Flamenco, so I'd imagine he has a pretty good uppercut. That said, Fleck did play in the NFL.

I'll go with Fleck, once he figures out that uppercut, it's a wrap.

I'm a big believer in branding for college programs. As much as many of the Fleck-isms drive me nuts, he has done a great job of branding his program. (He calls it "culture," but it's really branding and living the brand.) That's especially true off the field, and we started to see who he wants to be on the field more last year, too. As Fleck himself says, brands don't appeal to everybody. But for young athletes inclined to live and play a certain way he does a great job of showing players what to expect when they get here.

In contrast, after six years I have no idea what Pitino wants his program to look like.

I don’t think this will be a question after people see the results on the field this fall.

I'd be surprised if Fleck would throw a punch. Might try to tire Richard out by talking in circles, dropping Fleck-isms and doing pushups. Richard might just kick him in the face to end it. Or just get bored and make fun of PJ.

I like both, FWIW. Pitino needs to have back to back to back good years. Fleck does as well. Both can do it. Both have had some nice local recruits, produced some good moments. Neither is where they or fans want them to be.

One on one basketball: Both would be getting spotting points from Lindsay and would still lose!

Fleck was a professional athlete and a stud basketball player in HS (All-State in Illinois, if I'm not mistaken), so I very much doubt this would be the case.

Fleck was a professional athlete and a stud basketball player in HS (All-State in Illinois, if I'm not mistaken), so I very much doubt this would be the case.

His Wikipedia page says he letter in basketball. I kinda doubt the little guy was all-state. And Lindsay has played against male excellent athletes in basketball for years at Lynx practices.

I don’t know anything about his basketball career, but this is impressive. ...

From his Wikipedia page: “He set a state record with 95 catches for 1,548 yards and 16 touchdowns as a senior.”

That’s a lot of production for a high school receiver.

Odds are he was at least a decent basketball player.

Fleck has done something that Gopher football hadn’t done in 24 years, beat Wisconsin in Wisconsin, and it wasn’t by a whisker either. What has Pitino done that b-ball hasn’t in a long long time. Fleck did it in year 2. Pitino has had 6 years?

Fleck has done something that Gopher football hadn’t done in 24 years, beat Wisconsin in Wisconsin, and it wasn’t by a whisker either. What has Pitino done that b-ball hasn’t in a long long time. Fleck did it in year 2. Pitino has had 6 years?

Gone to a relevant post-season tournament...[emoji41]

His Wikipedia page says he letter in basketball. I kinda doubt the little guy was all-state. And Lindsay has played against male excellent athletes in basketball for years at Lynx practices.

He set a school record for scoring average in a season, and accounts differ according to what I can find, but he was indeed at minimum honorable mention All-State.

I found two sources that say he was all-state in football, basketball, and track.

Last edited:

Finish top four without sanctions. Also beat a ranked Wisconsin team in Madison

Flecks was offered a walk on spot by Bo Ryan. All state can be vague, in Minnesota lots of athletes get a vote for honorable mention and claim the honor in all sports. My Junior year in hockey we list in sections in triple ot, our back up goalie started, third game of the year, starter was hurt, he stopped 59 of 61 shots and we lost 2-1. Someone voted him all state for that one game, but he got to put it on his letter jacket and he was still our back up the next year.

Dude played in the NFL. Athletes like that are great at virtually every sport they try. I’m confident PJ was an outstanding HS basketball player. Almost certainly would have been a fantastic HS baseball, volleyball, cricket, or soccer player had he played those as well.

Is it ok to like both coaches?

I dig both coaches, although Pitino gives me a little concern.

Pitino needs to have back to back to back good years.

This is the big one for me. 2014 NIT title then next two years trend down. NCAA Berth in 2017 with top 4 B1G finish, then losing record the next year. 2019 was another good year with an NCAA win. If that trend can continue, the narrative with Pitino will shift for sure.

Top Bottom