Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 59
  1. #31

    Default

    My only gripe with Pitino is that things look haphazard in terms of recruiting and game-planning. It's really too bad Carr wasn't deemed eligible last season because this team would have probably won a few more games with a true point guard who was consistent. I could never figure out what was up with Washington except it was obvious Pitino didn't trust him on the floor.

    Fleck seems to have a system and we'll see if it works. Too early to tell.


  2. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    My only gripe with Pitino is that things look haphazard in terms of recruiting and game-planning. It's really too bad Carr wasn't deemed eligible last season because this team would have probably won a few more games with a true point guard who was consistent. I could never figure out what was up with Washington except it was obvious Pitino didn't trust him on the floor.

    Fleck seems to have a system and we'll see if it works. Too early to tell.
    So you’re saying that predicting the minds of 18 year old recruits is difficult? Duh!

    In BB you get hurt more by having a few recruiting misses.

    BB 5 starters/ 13 scholarships = 38.5%
    FB 22/85 =25.9%


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    So you’re saying that predicting the minds of 18 year old recruits is difficult? Duh!

    In BB you get hurt more by having a few recruiting misses.

    BB 5 starters/ 13 scholarships = 38.5%
    FB 22/85 =25.9%


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I just have a hard time figuring out the straight line on Pitino's recruiting/game planning. My comments weren't a dis on Washington or Pitino for that situation.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
    Yes, Pitino has continued the abject failure of Gopher basketball since it’s inception. Unless they cheat. Other than that, what a stellar program. The love that Gopher hoops gets us truly bizarre.
    I thought you were never negative about gopher teams?

    Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Word View Post
    I thought you were never negative about gopher teams?

    Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    That changed to players, then to active roster players. Try to follow along.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Consensus Top 25 Class, 4 of final 5, 80% underclassmen, Youngest Team, 2nd Youngest Team, Best Back-To-Back Classes Ever, 9 Scholarship Seniors, HS Teacher, 8-Hour Radius, Major Paycut

  6. #36

    Default

    If we look to Big Ten records, it's not flattering for either (both are sub .400, Fleck is sub .300). That said, they are both coming off their best years, so I'm hoping they are both on an upward trajectory. Fleck has only had two years, and year 2 was better than year one. Pitino has had enough time that his lack of cumulative success (when considering full body of work) is a little more concerning for me. I personally like Pitino's approach more than flecks, but I judge coaches based on record, not my personal preferences.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Mendota Heights, MN
    Posts
    2,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    So you’re saying that predicting the minds of 18 year old recruits is difficult? Duh!

    In BB you get hurt more by having a few recruiting misses.

    BB 5 starters/ 13 scholarships = 38.5%
    FB 22/85 =25.9%


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Christ you're pathetic.

    I'm a huge Pitino supporter, but it's totally OK to question or criticize the coach and still remain a good fan. Please climb off his junk.

  8. #38

    Default

    This is stupid, but here is my take:

    Physically: Fleck by a mile.

    Mentally: Who knows? Neither strikes me as Bobby Fisher.

    Recruiting: Pitino may have more 4* recruits!

    Coaching: Jury is still out. Best thing Pitino has done coaching is win a tournament game his team was totally prepared for. Best thing Fleck has done is fire his defensive coordinator mid-season. Advantage Pitino.

    One on one basketball: Both would be getting spotting points from Lindsay and would still lose!

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    6,934

    Default

    MTV bringing celebrity death match back. This could get interesting in claymation.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

  10. #40

    Default

    Pitino kind of looks like Don Flamenco, so I'd imagine he has a pretty good uppercut. That said, Fleck did play in the NFL.

    I'll go with Fleck, once he figures out that uppercut, it's a wrap.

  11. #41

    Default

    I'm a big believer in branding for college programs. As much as many of the Fleck-isms drive me nuts, he has done a great job of branding his program. (He calls it "culture," but it's really branding and living the brand.) That's especially true off the field, and we started to see who he wants to be on the field more last year, too. As Fleck himself says, brands don't appeal to everybody. But for young athletes inclined to live and play a certain way he does a great job of showing players what to expect when they get here.

    In contrast, after six years I have no idea what Pitino wants his program to look like.

  12. #42

    Default

    I don’t think this will be a question after people see the results on the field this fall.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    3,497

    Default

    I'd be surprised if Fleck would throw a punch. Might try to tire Richard out by talking in circles, dropping Fleck-isms and doing pushups. Richard might just kick him in the face to end it. Or just get bored and make fun of PJ.

    I like both, FWIW. Pitino needs to have back to back to back good years. Fleck does as well. Both can do it. Both have had some nice local recruits, produced some good moments. Neither is where they or fans want them to be.

  14. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post
    One on one basketball: Both would be getting spotting points from Lindsay and would still lose!
    Fleck was a professional athlete and a stud basketball player in HS (All-State in Illinois, if I'm not mistaken), so I very much doubt this would be the case.

  15. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Fleck was a professional athlete and a stud basketball player in HS (All-State in Illinois, if I'm not mistaken), so I very much doubt this would be the case.
    His Wikipedia page says he letter in basketball. I kinda doubt the little guy was all-state. And Lindsay has played against male excellent athletes in basketball for years at Lynx practices.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •